We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Over the last month or so, there has been a lot of little hints sent our way about new Canon EOS R bodies. There won’t be a new EOS R body announced alongside the EOS 90D, EOS M5 Mark II and EOS M6 Mark II, but we should start hearing more soon after.
We have been told on more than one occasion that the “pro” or “sports” EOS R body will definitely be in photographers hands ahead of next summer’s Olympics in Tokyo. Whether it’s for testing or as an available product is unknown at this time.
There are some other hints that have come our way that we will share in the near future.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Damn that's sad.
A matter of perspective I guess, looking at the 5D series the very high resolution sensor bodies were not the best selling items, and in terms of priorities the R series needs ASAP a 5D mk5 market segment body with the IBIS capability linked to a modern (i.e. more recent than the 5D Mk 4) dual pixel sensor, eventually with a very high resolution fast-reacting EVP. Dual cards is a hot topic ( not for me but it seems to be on many people's "must have" list) and faster continuous shooting (8-10 fps?) also. I associate very high resolution bodies with studio / tripod work using L primes and TS-E lenses, of which there are few in the RF lineup so far. Apart from the brilliant 50 and 85 primes most of the announcements for new lenses are zooms (trinity or not) for which the action camera is better suited.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
What we may see in FF bodies in 2020:

1D X III and a RX equivalent
R 70 MP
R 30 MP w/10 FPS

These bodies may include:

IBIS
BSI sensor
Quad pixel AF
Uncropped 4K video

Much of this depends on Canon's sensor development efforts. And it's sensor development efforts must confront unfavorable markets for FF sensor cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Saying there are more hints and then not sharing them is cruel!;)

It'll be interesting to see how these new cameras perform - it has seemed to me that the xxD series bodies have often been a precursor for several features which end up on the next 5 series body. With that said, I'm keen to learn more about the high resolution body - I was waiting on the 5DsR II, so its transition to mirrorless means that it would likely be my entry point to the R system.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The clock is ticking for Canon. We rent Canon, Nikon & Sony still / video cameras through one of our business units that has two offices in the UK, one in Paris & one in Cape Town. Our customers are predominately in two areas, fashion and food.

Canon is still the leader but this leadership is being caught up by Sony who have knocked Nikon into third place. We are merely reacting to demand and the fact Canon will have no new high end camera in 2019 either for the EF mount or RF only serves to profit Sony who have launched the A7R IV. We have pre-ordered a larger number of these than its predecessor due to the level of inquires were receiving. Canon have some good professional RF lenses but the EOS R is not a workhorse tool.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

R 70 MP
R 30 MP w/10 FPS

I doubt it.

Canon currently offers four full frame DSLRs:
1Dx
5D
5Ds
6D

They currently offer two full frame R bodies:
R
RP

In a shrinking ILC market, it's unlikely we will see five mirrorless full frame bodies.

It is much more realistic to expect an "Rx" and an "Rs"

From a market segment standpoint, Canon has slotted the RP below the 6D in price but targeted it to roughly the same buyers. They have slotted the R just below the 5D but targeted it to the same buyers.

I would not be surprised to see the Rs slotted in as a direct replacement for the 5Ds (highest resolution sensor on the market).

I expect the Rx to fall somewhere between the 5D and 1Dx, but much closer to the 1Dx, just as the current R is only slightly under the 5D series. This will leave Canon with three full frame DSLRs (once they stop producing the 5Ds) and four R bodies.

Those looking for an R equivalent to the 5D will need to accept that they must either go up in price and specs to the Rx, buy the high resolution Rs or quit whining about dual card slots and accept the current R, which is a very capable companion to the 5D.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

R 70 MP
R 30 MP w/10 FPS

IBIS
BSI sensor
Quad pixel AF
Uncropped 4K video

Much of this depends on Canon's sensor development efforts. And it's sensor development efforts must confront unfavorable markets for FF sensor cameras.

R 70 MP
R 30 MP w/10 FPS

IBIS
BSI sensor
Quad pixel AF
Uncropped 4K video

Saying there are more hints and then not sharing them is cruel!;)

It'll be interesting to see how these new cameras perform - it has seemed to me that the xxD series bodies have often been a precursor for several features which end up on the next 5 series body. With that said, I'm keen to learn more about the high resolution body - I was waiting on the 5DsR II, so its transition to mirrorless means that it would likely be my entry point to the R system.
I sold my Canon 7D in hopes of getting the Mark iv. Then I read an article that stated the industry is moving away from DSLR, this was two years and little did I know I'd still waiting on Canon to get its act together.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0