We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

May 11, 2017
Except that’s not what the data show. I don’t get why people think that if they repeat false statements over and over on the internet, it somehow makes them true.

PS: I don’t get the people obsessed with claiming that ‘Canon is doomed’ or ‘everyone is switching to Sony’. Market share means that people who make such claims have difficulty grasping reality.
What does reality have to do with it.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I like Tool and Slayer, I don’t like Bieber and the likes. That’s why I listen to Tool and Slayer and really enjoy it. I don’t listen to Bieber and then proceed to go online in a Bieber-fan forum and b!tch for all eternity he’s not releasing music like Tool. How is that not common sense anymore?

Yes... Let’s not allow dissenting opinions on a chat forum. Only like minded posts should be here to form a proper echo chamber.

I think it’s entirely possible to appreciate some of Canon’s attributes, such as ergonomics and refinement, while also praising Sony’s ability to innovate and push the market with features like their autofocus.

Having said this, I’m sure I’ll get flamed by the pro-echo chamber contingent...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yes... Let’s not allow dissenting opinions on a chat forum. Only like minded posts should be here to form a proper echo chamber.

I think it’s entirely possible to appreciate some of Canon’s attributes, such as ergonomics and refinement, while also praising Sony’s ability to innovate and push the market with features like their autofocus.

Having said this, I’m sure I’ll get flamed by the pro-echo chamber contingent...
I’m sure you felt I wrote that to you, but it’s for those who keeeep ooon praising Sony yet keep their Canon, or don’t even own a Canon that is the issue. It’s one thing to discuss what Canon can do different and perhaps better and another thing this constant bs...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Except that’s not what the data show. I don’t get why people think that if they repeat false statements over and over on the internet, it somehow makes them true.

PS: I don’t get the people obsessed with claiming that ‘Canon is doomed’ or ‘everyone is switching to Sony’. Market share means that people who make such claims have difficulty grasping reality.
The news media here in the USA depends heavily on repeating false statements over and over, and it seems to be working for them with their target audiences. So the people who keep repeating here are simply emulating what they are exposed to, and likely influenced by.

And, besides, the poor souls working for the Russian Troll Farms don't get fed unless they keep trolling.

I'm pretty sure you are only rhetorically scratching your head. :cool:

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

The thing that annoys me is that it's only sony people doing this. I haven't encountered people using Nikon, Fuji, Olympus invading forums and social media to respond to everything that isn't their brand to loudly proclaim how much better their brand is.
So when Roger at lensrentals.com publishes a new MTF article and calls out that behaviour it makes me smile. It also turns me off the Sony brand since I associate it with loudmouthed jerks.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why do you think there is such a huge market for Sony A9ii bodies?

Speaking as a sports photographer: because the Sony A9 camera can do things that a 1DX II can't do. I have no idea of global market figures but in my country a lot of sports photographers are switching to the Sony A9 and lenses.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I have no idea of global market figures but in my country a lot of sports photographers are switching to the Sony A9 and lenses.
It's nice that you have registered to answer to my comment. What country are you from? How many sports photographers are there? How many of them have bought Sony A9?

Upvote 0
I am from the Netherlands and I don't no how many sport photographers there are in total. Some 150 are members of the professional national organisation. Yesterday I shot a Euro League match and 3 out of 10 were Sony shooters. As a professional switching brands this is a big thing. Not only the bodies but also lenses, flashes, remote trigger cables, memory cards, etc.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I am from the Netherlands and I don't no how many sport photographers there are in total. Some 150 are members of the professional national organisation. Yesterday I shot a Euro League match and 3 out of 10 were Sony shooters. As a professional switching brands this is a big thing. Not only the bodies but also lenses, flashes, remote trigger cables, memory cards, etc.
So, the target market is several hundred potential clients per country of 17 million people?

And what sports shooting functionality do you think will be in the "pro R", but not in the next mirrored body of the 1DX series?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So, the target market is several hundred potential clients per country of 17 million people?

And what sports shooting functionality do you think will be in the "pro R", but not in the next mirrored body of the 1DX series?
SILENT SHOOTING, no viewfinder blackout at well above possible DSLR speeds.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

It has to have these things. The A9 does, and it's years old. I also say "has to" because they're important to me, especially silent shooting with a fast electronic shutter. I will be unambiguously disappointed if the RX doesn't perform well in these respects, since to me, they are the prime advantage of a mirrorless system - I don't care about supposed savings in size and weight, but a great silent mode is among the highest priority features to me, and something Canon's DSLRs have yet to offer (to my knowledge).

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What's wrong with using Live View (with or without external HDMI monitor)? It's not like "SILENT SHOOTING" only works with RF lenses or you can scare sports players with your mirror sound but not with your big white lens.

Upvote 0

Maybe, I guess that an A9 camera competes with the 1D cameras. So I don't know how many 1D cameras are sold on a yearly basis. To answer your question: higher frame rate, no blackout, silent shooting, electronic viewfinder functionality, eye autofocus and regular firmware updates that brings new functionality. Hoping for identical memory card slots, in body wifi and same price as the 1DX III. But I think it will be disappointing.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I don't think the next 1Dx will let me select the focus points by moving my thumb on the touch screen. Much faster and more responsive than a joystick. If it could, it would be great, but I don't see that happening.

It probably won't let the focus points go as far out toward the edge of the scene either.

What's wrong with using Live View (with or without external HDMI monitor)?...
There is no way in hell I could shoot sports in live view. Can't see crap in sunlight, can't follow the action easily, the ergonomics of live view are horrendous. Live view is fine for static subjects and video, but I certainly don't have the skill set to shoot sports in live view, nor would I want to.

Upvote 0
What's wrong with using Live View (with or without external HDMI monitor)? It's not like "SILENT SHOOTING" only works with RF lenses or you can scare sports players with your mirror sound but not with your big white lens.
Shooting for example golf with live view on a sunny day is not going to work very well I guess. It's great looking through the viewfinder seeing all the info you need. Take the shot. Select the best photo and send it via ftp to the client. All without taking your eye from the viewfinder and without needing any add ons on your camera body.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
"Canon, Nikon and Panasonic are simply getting lapped by Sony in the mirrorless race." Sony a9ii being announced in little more than a month. Canon? The Powershot G7 X. I have to contain my excitement. Not really.
I have no interest in the Sony, and I'm likely to buy one of the new Powershots, so I'm not mirroring your personal adrenaline level.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
PS: I also don't get the obsession with market share. As if a bigger market share means that the products by that company are better. They are cheaper. That's it mostly. That's why more burgers are sold than lobsters, and more Honda Civics than Mercedes S-Class cars. Is Market share really the only thing Canon fans can be proud about? Oh, and of course: colour science. Anyway, I'm out using my 7DII. Bye.

Market share gives people something measurable to talk about. Yet people still manage to argue about it on line. I can't see any further reason to be interested in it as a consumer, maybe even not so much as an investor. If a company is faring so poorly that it might go out of business soon, then I probably don't want to buy more of their stock or buy new products that might not get serviced in a few years. Otherwise, it's just a number that is worth maybe a quick nod each year.

If it is a tribal thing, (like the people who say they are on ships and might jump off them), then there's the bragging rights of my tribe's brand beats yours, then I can't relate. My Sony TV is in the living room. I have a Samsung in my bedroom. I don't change my personal identity when I walk from one room to the other. Both brands may be down in terms of TV market share from when I bought those sets. That hasn't affected the picture on either one.

I recall a few years back when pundits were (yet again) predicting Apple's demise as iPhone market share continued to fall, and Samsung's share was stable at best. Someone pointed out that together Apple and Samsung could account for something like 135% of the profits in that market.

Upvote 0