Rumored Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II specifications [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The successor to the Canon Cinema EOS C500 is expected this fall, and these are the rumored specifications that have been sent to us.
Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II Specifications: (Rumored)

Full-frame sensor
RAW internal recording (both 4K and 2K). 4K is up to 60p, 2K up to 120p.
Optional XF-AVC recording in 4:2:2 10 bit (4K up to 60p, 2k up to 120p)
User interchangeable lens mount
Optional modules with EVF, genlock, timecode, 12G-SDI, etc
EF and PL mount available at launch
Power supply with BP-A series batteries, an optional module for V-Mount batteries
Optional module for 4x XLR inputs
Backwards compatibility with EVF-V70, LV-M1 and some other peripherals from previous Cinema EOS cameras
New media usage: CFExpress cards for faster readings and writing speed
WiFi and IP Streaming capabilities

If these specifications are true, Canon is not yet moving to 8K video camera. Which means the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
"New media usage: CFExpress cards for faster readings and writing speed"

New 1D cameras going to get this too probably.?.
I hope they don’t switch, I and many other professionals have way to much invested in c fast and it’s not slow at all. They are faster at reading and writing then reds media and really reliable.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I hope they don’t switch, I and many other professionals have way to much invested in c fast and it’s not slow at all. They are faster at reading and writing then reds media and really reliable.

I would not want to invest in CFast, its a dead end tech based on SATA. CFExpress is built on PCIe and has a future. Ideally Canon can offer a CFast+CFExpress slot for migration with a dual CFExpress slot version for those with no legacy cards.

Note: CFExpress is replacing QXD and CFast. A card currently on the market by Sony has Read speed 1.7GB/s, write speed 1.4GB/s. Though future versions will hit 7.88 GB/s with more lanes. CFast 2.0 is 600MB/s.

Upvote 0
I would not want to invest in CFast, its a dead end tech based on SATA. CFExpress is built on PCIe and has a future. Ideally Canon can offer a CFast+CFExpress slot for migration with a dual CFExpress slot version for those with no legacy cards.

Note: CFExpress is replacing QXD and CFast. A card currently on the market by Sony has Read speed 1.7GB/s, write speed 1.4GB/s. Though future versions will hit 7.88 GB/s with more lanes. CFast 2.0 is 600MB/s.
I know it’s fast and that pcie is amazing but I’m just saying that many of us with 1dxmkiis and c300s and c200s would like to not purchase new cards. But then again I guess we don’t need to purchase new gear cause honestly the cameras I named are pretty amazing. But it would be pretty forward thinking of canon to use cfexpress and I don’t see that happening

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
I know it’s fast and that pcie is amazing but I’m just saying that many of us with 1dxmkiis and c300s and c200s would like to not purchase new cards. But then again I guess we don’t need to purchase new gear cause honestly the cameras I named are pretty amazing. But it would be pretty forward thinking of canon to use cfexpress and I don’t see that happening

Yeah I literally just got my first 1dxmkii last week and am more than happy with its performance. I don't see much on the horizon that warrants upgrading from this in the next 2 or 3 years at least.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yeah I literally just got my first 1dxmkii last week and am more than happy with its performance. I don't see much on the horizon that warrants upgrading from this in the next 2 or 3 years at least.
It is an incredible camera. It will take a lot for me as well as others to update. Many people made comments on how the mkii wasn’t a big update but it really is.
congrats on getting one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I would not want to invest in CFast, its a dead end tech based on SATA. CFExpress is built on PCIe and has a future. <snip>

People thought that betamax would win because its better than VHS.

People thought Blu-ray would win because its bigger and faster than DVD, but optical drives have practically lost to downloads over the internet.

While people are discussing the pros and cons of CFexpress and CFast, smartphones (including those that record video in the oh so coveted 4K HDR10+ resolution) use micro SD due to physical size.

So I wouldn't bet too much money on CFExpress. The market might eventually settle on UHS-III for stills cameras, and external recorders for video cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
So I wouldn't bet too much money on CFExpress. The market might eventually settle on UHS-III for stills cameras, and external recorders for video cameras.
There's also already (or is gonna be) SD Express that's quite similar to CFExpress.

Btw there's currently no UHS-III cards available or even announced as far as I know, and not everyone has even moved on to UHS-II. (n)

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Btw there's currently no UHS-III cards available or even announced as far as I know, and not everyone has even moved on to UHS-II. (n)

Which is part of my point. Most stills photographers get along with CF & UHS-I, with CFast and UHS-II just making it in. I think UHS-III & V90 would suffice for most of the market, and have smaller form factor, so people might just pass on larger & faster cards.

Upvote 0
To me this is more like c300III spec
To me too. At least it‘s FF and has internal RAW recording. If thus modules are as described optional, the body would have a modular approach which I would admittable like very much. But it‘s a CTR1, so let‘s waite what will come.

BTW: I‘m curious where Harryfilm is. Wasn‘t he procliming a super MF Cine! Photcam..?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
This is early on specs but if these are correct this doesn’t give much incentive to purchase. Minus gen lock there isn’t much more here compared to the c200

Full frame sensor Vs S35
10 bit xavc internal Vs 8 bit

Currently the cheapest FF35 raw camera I know of is the C700FF and this is likely to be substantially cheaper than that.

Upvote 0
To me too. At least it‘s FF and has internal RAW recording. If thus modules are as described optional, the body would have a modular approach which I would admittable like very much. But it‘s a CTR1, so let‘s waite what will come.

BTW: I‘m curious where Harryfilm is. Wasn‘t he procliming a super MF Cine! Photcam..?

===

You Called?

The upcoming deal is that a certain multimedia company has a 50.3 Megapixel (8192 x 6144 pixels) Medium Format camera that has a 56mm by 42mm 4:3 Bayer GLOBAL SHUTTER (i.e. NO MORE rolling shutter!) MF sensor that does full 50.3 megapixel stills images at up to 60 fps burst rate at a user-selectable 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 at up to 16-bits per channel colour sampling (i.e. up to 48-bit RGB and 16-bits Alpha Transparency channel or a 16-bits Subject-Distance-from-lens measurement channel) in FULL RAW or 2:1 or 3:1 compressed RAW ...

....AND...

it can do 50.3 Megapixel 4:4:4/4:2:2 intraframe compressed stills using JPEG-2000 (Wavelet) compression and do DCI 8K video (8192 by 4320 pixels which is a Cinema 1.89:1 aspect ratio) at Wavelet JPEG-2000 Intraframe, FULL and Compressed RAW or use Interframe compressed video using MP4/H.264/H.265 codecs at up to a full 60 fps 4:4:4/4:2:2 up to 16-bits ber RGB + A/D channel or record at DCI 4K (4096 by 2160 pixels) at up to 240 fps OR record 2048 by 1080 pixel at up to 960 fps!

For lower resolutions, there is a user-selectable Downsample-from-Full-Area of Image Sensor mode or use simple crop mode! Multiple cinema, still photo and broadcast video aspect ratios and resolutions are built-in with NO EXTRA codec licence fees! There is also a built-in multi-step neutral density filter, in-body and in-lens stabilization system, newly re-designed multi-type FAST auto-focusing system with human-face and animal-face Eye detection, focus points that cover the ENTIRE screen area, User-loadable LOOKUP tables and BUILT-IN hot-swappable SSD Hard Drives allowing for currently TWO 4-Terabyte storage media in RAID format for maximum security (i.e. simultaneous writing) or sequential writing (for long recording times), CLEAN 8K 60 fpsd 4:4:4 HDMI and DisplayPort outputs and onboard USB-3 port for Metadata and external photo/video storage. Two XQD-card slots for high-speed lower-resolution proxy imagery and/or extra safety of stills/video streams.

The camera has a swivelling ergonomic handgrip, a swivelling high megapixel OLED full-menu-selectable touchscreen suitable for vLogging and Selfies (body is a tad heavy though for holding with a single hand - better work out those arms!), full electronic GLOBAL SHUTTER, high pixel sensitivity since it's photosites are about 6.8 microns which is a little larger than a Canon 1Dx Mk2's (6.58 microns) photosites and the new camera has one of the longest-lasting batteries in the business for all day use!

Lenses will NOT be cheap because many of the primes are VERY FAST at f/1.2 or f/1.4 and the upcoming zooms are faster than Canon equivalents. Lens and optical elements are ALL designed in Germany with some lens optical elements also manufactured in Germany with final assembly in Japan. Weatherproof and DESIGNED for outdoor/indoor Sports/Action/Wildlife still photo/video enthusiasts, this camera and it's lenses is the FIRST Medium Format combined Stills/Video ruggedized pro-level camera at a price point of about $10,000 US for the body!

THAT is what is coming real soon now ....

They went ALL OUT on this FLAGSHIP MF Combined Stills/Video camera AND WAIT until you see the upcoming 2/3rds inch and APS-C large-sensor 50.3 megapixel image sensor, 4K DCI resolution screen IP-68 RUGGED and waterproof super-smartphones from the SAME company! ..... WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MF camera and the large-sensor super-smartphones are MADE FOR pro-level cinema/broadcast video recording AND pro-level stills photography! The manufacturer went ALL OUT on these three items and they don't care what it does to their own or anyone else's product line. The engineering and design management team specified they are making CATEGORY KILLERS for cinema and smartphones at price points that are more than just reasonable for what you get! They do not care WHAT these products do to their other product lines! They now have truly OUTSTANDING Bang-for-the-Buck specifications and final image quality and they want the whole imaging markets to themselves from the low end to the high end using the smallest product line possible!

In my opinion, the MF camera is absolutely THE EQUAL OF an Arri Alexa-65 and Phase-One in terms of image quality and colour science in a smaller and more ergonomic form factor! The large-sensor super-smartphones are BMPCC 4k camera killers while still allowing you to make/receive phones calls/texts/email, run whatever apps you like AND play games or do other web tasks at the end of your shooting day!

And it's ALL coming soon to a camera and online store near you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I support Canon's move to full-frame sensors, but I think Canon would have more success with FF in the cheaper cinema cameras.

Users of the cheaper cams (eg Canon C100) can't afford Super 35 lenses that typically have a motorized servo zoom. C100 users tend to have cheaper full-frame lenses, so a full-frame sensor would be a good match.

Upvote 0
===

You Called?

The upcoming deal is that a certain multimedia company has a 50.3 Megapixel (8192 x 6144 pixels) Medium Format camera that has a 56mm by 42mm 4:3 Bayer GLOBAL SHUTTER (i.e. NO MORE rolling shutter!) MF sensor that does full 50.3 megapixel stills images at up to 60 fps burst rate at a user-selectable 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 at up to 16-bits per channel colour sampling (i.e. up to 48-bit RGB and 16-bits Alpha Transparency channel or a 16-bits Subject-Distance-from-lens measurement channel) in FULL RAW or 2:1 or 3:1 compressed RAW ...

....AND...

it can do 50.3 Megapixel 4:4:4/4:2:2 intraframe compressed stills using JPEG-2000 (Wavelet) compression and do DCI 8K video (8192 by 4320 pixels which is a Cinema 1.89:1 aspect ratio) at Wavelet JPEG-2000 Intraframe, FULL and Compressed RAW or use Interframe compressed video using MP4/H.264/H.265 codecs at up to a full 60 fps 4:4:4/4:2:2 up to 16-bits ber RGB + A/D channel or record at DCI 4K (4096 by 2160 pixels) at up to 240 fps OR record 2048 by 1080 pixel at up to 960 fps!

For lower resolutions, there is a user-selectable Downsample-from-Full-Area of Image Sensor mode or use simple crop mode! Multiple cinema, still photo and broadcast video aspect ratios and resolutions are built-in with NO EXTRA codec licence fees! There is also a built-in multi-step neutral density filter, in-body and in-lens stabilization system, newly re-designed multi-type FAST auto-focusing system with human-face and animal-face Eye detection, focus points that cover the ENTIRE screen area, User-loadable LOOKUP tables and BUILT-IN hot-swappable SSD Hard Drives allowing for currently TWO 4-Terabyte storage media in RAID format for maximum security (i.e. simultaneous writing) or sequential writing (for long recording times), CLEAN 8K 60 fpsd 4:4:4 HDMI and DisplayPort outputs and onboard USB-3 port for Metadata and external photo/video storage. Two XQD-card slots for high-speed lower-resolution proxy imagery and/or extra safety of stills/video streams.

The camera has a swivelling ergonomic handgrip, a swivelling high megapixel OLED full-menu-selectable touchscreen suitable for vLogging and Selfies (body is a tad heavy though for holding with a single hand - better work out those arms!), full electronic GLOBAL SHUTTER, high pixel sensitivity since it's photosites are about 6.8 microns which is a little larger than a Canon 1Dx Mk2's (6.58 microns) photosites and the new camera has one of the longest-lasting batteries in the business for all day use!

Lenses will NOT be cheap because many of the primes are VERY FAST at f/1.2 or f/1.4 and the upcoming zooms are faster than Canon equivalents. Lens and optical elements are ALL designed in Germany with some lens optical elements also manufactured in Germany with final assembly in Japan. Weatherproof and DESIGNED for outdoor/indoor Sports/Action/Wildlife still photo/video enthusiasts, this camera and it's lenses is the FIRST Medium Format combined Stills/Video ruggedized pro-level camera at a price point of about $10,000 US for the body!

THAT is what is coming real soon now ....

They went ALL OUT on this FLAGSHIP MF Combined Stills/Video camera AND WAIT until you see the upcoming 2/3rds inch and APS-C large-sensor 50.3 megapixel image sensor, 4K DCI resolution screen IP-68 RUGGED and waterproof super-smartphones from the SAME company! ..... WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MF camera and the large-sensor super-smartphones are MADE FOR pro-level cinema/broadcast video recording AND pro-level stills photography! The manufacturer went ALL OUT on these three items and they don't care what it does to their own or anyone else's product line. The engineering and design management team specified they are making CATEGORY KILLERS for cinema and smartphones at price points that are more than just reasonable for what you get! They do not care WHAT these products do to their other product lines! They now have truly OUTSTANDING Bang-for-the-Buck specifications and final image quality and they want the whole imaging markets to themselves from the low end to the high end using the smallest product line possible!

In my opinion, the MF camera is absolutely THE EQUAL OF an Arri Alexa-65 and Phase-One in terms of image quality and colour science in a smaller and more ergonomic form factor! The large-sensor super-smartphones are BMPCC 4k camera killers while still allowing you to make/receive phones calls/texts/email, run whatever apps you like AND play games or do other web tasks at the end of your shooting day!

And it's ALL coming soon to a camera and online store near you!

[/
Terrific camera, unquestionable. So than, when will the Camera be released? IBC 2030 or NAB 2035 if ever..?

Upvote 0