Show your Bird Portraits

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
Nice one! I tried very hard last year in Zealandia but never got a shot of a Fantail as good as that. The Fantails were not scared but moved around rapidly in the shade.
Very True AlanF, got very few keepers of fantails mainly because they really seem to like being in the shade and were never still for long

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Very True AlanF, got very few keepers of fantails mainly because they really seem to like being in the shade and were never still for long
Just looked at the EXIFs. We were using the same gear - 100-400mm II on a 5DSR - and you were at 1/160s at iso 1600. I never got below iso6400 for these. New Zealand was great but very difficult for birds.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Just looked at the EXIFs. We were using the same gear - 100-400mm II on a 5DSR - and you were at 1/160s at iso 1600. I never got below iso6400 for these. New Zealand was great but very difficult for birds.
Reminds me of Costa Rica in the jungle. The trees often were so huge that there was little hope of any sunlight and then there were these misty clouds that took away what there was. Very frustrating operating at ISO 12800! At the last minute based on a desire to to keep weight and bulk down I left my flash gear at home. For anyone contemplating this kind of trip; there were opportunities where creatures were reasonably close and fill flash would have been amazing. Next time ...

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reminds me of Costa Rica in the jungle. The trees often were so huge that there was little hope of any sunlight and then there were these misty clouds that took away what there was. Very frustrating operating at ISO 12800! At the last minute based on a desire to to keep weight and bulk down I left my flash gear at home. For anyone contemplating this kind of trip; there were opportunities where creatures were reasonably close and fill flash would have been amazing. Next time ...

Jack
Jack
Thanks for the tip! I am just packing to leave on Friday and so I'll take my flash, which I have never done before.
Alan

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack
Thanks for the tip! I am just packing to leave on Friday and so I'll take my flash, which I have never done before.
Alan
You never know. When you do it was a waste; when you don't you wish you had. The main thing was I didn't realize that relatively close up opportunities existed, yet it was so dark (even shooting vegetation). I had been thinking more along the lines of a Better Beamer and long shots. I use the remote trigger on the camera and have two flashes that I'm sure my wife could have reasonably aimed but so far I haven't tried this. At home, the flashes would be on tripod heads aiming at a set-up.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nice!
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I can't remember if I have ever posted this image. It isn't a great shot as the bird was way down a crevice in the deep shade but I will treasure it as seeing one was unlikely at best and the fact that this one was spotted by an untrained eye was not far short of a miracle. A Galapagos Short eared owl.FB_IMG_1562841791639.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0