Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
After Sony announced the A7R IV, Canon lost its full-frame sensor megapixel count crown. The new Sony comes in at 61mp, eclipsing Canon’s EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R duo, which have a 50.6mp full-frame sensor.
It has been rumored in the past that Canon will eclipse 70mp with their EOS 5DS  replacement and that it will come to the EOS R system and not the EOS DSLRs. So that means no DSLR replacement for the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R.
We were told recently that Canon will indeed “return to the top of the megapixel count for full-frame sensors” with the release of the EOS RS (we’re guessing on the name).
There have been two sensors tested in the new EOS R body, and it’s possible that the camera may come with a sensor over 80mp. The source noted that Canon is about to release brand new advancements in sensor technology and has “caught up to Sony”. What that means is unknown at this time.
The source did say that Canon will be “getting into the spec wars”...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 20, 2010
The source noted that Canon is about to release brand new advancements in sensor technology and has “caught up to Sony”. What that means is unknown at this time.

The new sensor technology part sounds consistent with what Thom Hogan reported:
"Meanwhile, Canon supposedly is hard at work on a complete redo of their sensor lineup, but we’ve yet to see what that means. The M, R, and RP use older DSLR sensors; Canon’s next technology doesn’t yet exist in a camera, though I’m pretty sure it’s still progressing for deployment soon."
- http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews...mber-2019-mirrorl/the-full-frame-game-is.html

Curious what this means...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Wow!! this sounds like music in my ears....

Looking at the lenses Canon is releasing for the R-mounts this makes totally sense. I predict all the guys changing to Sony in these days will have regrets in the future.....
Which is why I'm very glad I didn't jump on Sony's ship and sail away to point of no return. Now there's something I'm wondering about. There is a post on Canonwatch.com stating that Canon lenses have a MP limit. Which personally Idk if they do, my guess is no they don't. The new RF lenses coming out I believe should be capable of handling any number of MP.

Upvote 0
This might mean, that the "next generation" Canon sensor may catch up with the somy sensors from 2011, which by the way should have been in the 5d Mark iii.
It can easily be, that they mean the pixel count only, payed by a slower readout and even less dynamic range for the benefit of relatively more dead space between the pixels.

the R-lenses may be fantastic but system efficency is a product of lens and sensor efficency, which means that the weaker Canon sensors easily waste the advantage which would be possible with the better Sony sensors

Fantastic times are ahead of us

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Which is why I'm very glad I didn't jump on Sony's ship and sail away to point of no return. Now there's something I'm wondering about. There is a post on Canonwatch.com stating that Canon lenses have a MP limit. Which personally Idk if they do, my guess is no they don't. The new RF lenses coming out I believe should be capable of handling any number of MP.
Of course any lens would have some kind if resolving limit.

Upvote 0
As a bird/wildlife shooter, I'm always after high MP FF cameras that allow a healthy crop when needed. But I'm worried Canon won't be able to back those 70-80MPs with 10FPS full AE/AF as Sony does with the A7R4 or what Nikon does with the 9FPS (via grip) D850. The 5DSR was a nice camera and I owned it for a while but with 5FPS (dropping to 3 as the battery life dwindled) and so so AF it never could meet all my needs as a fully fleshed bird in flight camera.

Of course for other type of photography like landscapes and products etc the camera will do just fine.

Upvote 0
Well, I guess this is all in line with what we just heard about the M6 - I wonder if it was the same source?

I'm fine if they want to get into the spec war, but my biggest concern is cost. Canon isn't exactly known for having very economically priced flagships, and if they're dumping features into the new top of the line cameras, I will assume they'll come with top of the line prices as well. I wonder if we'll see prices beyond inflation-adjusted common prices for 5D series equivalent or 1D series equivalent cameras? I guess time will tell!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
As a bird/wildlife shooter, I'm always after high MP FF cameras that allow a healthy crop when needed. But I'm worried Canon won't be able to back those 70-80MPs with 10FPS full AE/AF as Sony does with the A7R4 or what Nikon does with the 9FPS (via grip) D850. The 5DSR was a nice camera and I owned it for a while but with 5FPS (dropping to 3 as the battery life dwindled) and so so AF it never could meet all my needs as a fully fleshed bird in flight camera.

Of course for other type of photography like landscapes and products etc the camera will do just fine.
30MP for 2/3 sensor means about 77MP on FF similar sensor. Just as the 20.2MP in the 7D2 was 50MP on the 5Ds

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Well, I guess this is all in line with what we just heard about the M6 - I wonder if it was the same source?

I'm fine if they want to get into the spec war, but my biggest concern is cost. Canon isn't exactly known for having very economically priced flagships, and if they're dumping features into the new top of the line cameras, I will assume they'll come with top of the line prices as well. I wonder if we'll see prices beyond inflation-adjusted common prices for 5D series equivalent or 1D series equivalent cameras? I guess time will tell!

I’m not disputing the point merely asking, but surely for that market the purchasers are either buying as self empoloyed/businesses and writing the value down or are comparatively wealthy amateurs who don’t really care about the cost?

Or put another way, isn’t the pricing in this bracket not as sensitive as other cameras particularly entry level models.

Upvote 0
Maybe - just maybe Canon finally noticed they can use their dual pixel sensor design to more than just focussing. The technology theoretically allows Dual-ISO, a thing Magic Lantern made popular, gaining the dynamic range to Nikon levels - although complicated to use.
And also could be used to add depth data to a picture, and we know from smartphones what cool things you can do with that: Relighting a photo or changing the virtual aperture.
IMO the internet would go crazy if a Canon camera had these options.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Good to see you back here! Do you think the A7R4 will wean you off your A9 for your requirements for BIF? The R3 wasn't up to it.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
No matter if the MP spec gets anywhere close, the new Rx will have a menu system, ergonomics and lens compatibility we all know to be the finest available so if they get the other things which folks are up in arms about, noise, clean base iso, fps,DR, etc then it will be the beast you have all been waiting for.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0