Canon will reclaim their full-frame megapixel crown [CR1]

Why is product differentiation a difficult concept to grasp? Does a Mustang have the same features as an F150?
My F150 has 450hp stock engine, has Ford Performance printed on the step plate and is a beast from the factory. Not all F150's are created equal. I am very sure the mustang has backup cameras, ac, satellite radio, collision alert and all the adds the F150 has. Hopefully it has the AC seats so I can keep my but cool in summer. Neither one will take a photo so I am not sure why people make auto comparisons to cameras here.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
So while others are making fun of Sony for taking several generations to get their MILC cameras competitive with DSLRs from Canon or Nikon they seem to be ignoring that Canon isn't exactly setting the standard in MILC cameras and is going to be playing catch-up.

The 28-70 f/2 doesn't set the standard? The 50 and 85 f/1.2? The other impending RF lenses?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
None of which for example explains why p24 video has vanished from the new cameras. They clearly removed it for a non-technical reason.

If you are referring to 4k 24fps video: The RP, R, 5D Mark IV and 1DX Mark II all have 4k 24fps. So, what are you talking about?

Did Ford remove the back seat from the Mustang to protect sedan sales? How about keeping the power down on the F150 so that people would have to buy a Mustang if they want to go fast?

No, Ford removed the truck bed and cabs from the F-150 so people could have a Muscle Car and named it "Mustang". They also knew most pickup truck drivers don't want convertible tops. They only put two doors because most people looking at Mustangs don't want 4 doors on a car like that. The back seat in the Mustang is useless when I'm in the car... except for grocery hauling. The back seat in a 4 door F-150 is good. They also intentionally crippled the trucks by not having 6 doors and a hatch back. Most also are not loading children into baby seats in Mustangs. Your comparisons of cars is just weird. Any car made these days can go fast. When I lived in Nevada, I used to get my Focus up to 110 mph (not the upper limit of it's speed). Can a Mustang or Raptor go faster? Probably, but that is a moot point. They put you in jail for that. "Quick" (0-60) is an entirely different thing. Your trouble with the subject you are complaining about is obvious. Why not just buy a Sony and be happy? Or at least look up the specs before saying such outlandish things about cameras you know nothing about and don't own.

The problem is people who think a manufacturer is making cameras just for them. No. Manufacturers have to make their stuff for the mass market they wish to capture (Canon is very good at this). You ain't the market, obviously. Go buy what you want. Nobody cares.

Attachments

• 24p.jpg
    24p.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
My F150 has 450hp stock engine, has Ford Performance printed on the step plate and is a beast from the factory. Not all F150's are created equal. I am very sure the mustang has backup cameras, ac, satellite radio, collision alert and all the adds the F150 has. Hopefully it has the AC seats so I can keep my but cool in summer. Neither one will take a photo so I am not sure why people make auto comparisons to cameras here.
They all have different trim, engine, and dozens of other options too... all at different price points and people have to pay for each. Crazy comparison to Cameras. Sometimes.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
What if I told you megapixels wasn't the most important spec of them all?
Just give me 500mpixel one for 500E . I dont mind if it got 10 DR ,1fps ,manual focus ,sharp nails protdruding from grip, one card what records only half of pictures randomly. :D
Sorry if i upset someone ,just honest opinion . not searching argue. :) I can use RP when wanting those later specs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sorry it doesn't work. Your nose or cheek will constantly change the focus point.
Nope. Not true. With your left eye to the viewfinder your nose will be on the very edge of the right side... the inactive area of the screen. Same with the right, except the nose is to the left. Cheek doesn't bother it either. Pull your face away and the screen is fully active again. If you own an RP or R and that is happening to you, you don't have it set correctly. It can be set for left side, or right side.

Honestly don't know why people make comments like this when they have not tried the camera or read the manual, or at least the menu.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope. Not true. With your left eye to the viewfinder your nose will be on the very edge of the right side... the inactive area of the screen. Same with the right, except the nose is to the left. Cheek doesn't bother it either. Pull your face away and the screen is fully active again. If you own an RP or R and that is happening to you, you don't have it set correctly. It can be set for left side, or right side.

Honestly don't know why people make comments like this when they have not tried the camera or read the manual, or at least the menu.

Honestly don't know why people tell me my own experience is wrong and did not happen. Be happy if it works for you, but don't tell me it works for me.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Honestly don't know why people tell me my own experience is wrong and did not happen. Be happy if it works for you, but don't tell me it works for me.
Below, when speaking about the RP.
I already bought the A7III, because I needed better lowlight video, so I agree with you, that everybody should buy what they want. But I don't really like to use two systems at a time and the time will come, when I decide to either ditch Canon or Sony. And it depends on two things: Canons fullframe mirrorless cameras and the 7DIII or whatever Canon will bring to replace it. And of course on Sony's A7000.

So I don't know what your experience was, but it wasn't set correctly. I weigh 300 lbs (fat cheeks) and have a big fat nose. No problem at all. If I set the camera for right side and use my left eye, yeah, problems exactly like you experienced. Not set correctly.

It can be set for whole panel, top, bottom, left side, right side, top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Ummm... I think you misunderstand. This is what grates the nerves and I am gosh darn proud not to have spent money on Sony.: (From Imaging-Resource) BTW: still waiting on DPAF from Sony. Not really. Ergonomics on the Sony FF mirrorless line are just as bad as those on my M43 Olympus. The difference? My fingers are not crammed into the "slot" on the Olympus. One would think Sony could at least fix this problem, but no. 4th generation, s.o.s. For people who spend hours holding a camera by the grip with a big heavy lens, ergonomics are king. On a typical model boot camp weekend we are shooting 6-8 individual models each day with each having 3 different looks (Different clothing from designers). Might as well be 18-24 models each photographer. The day begins at 7am and doesn't end until sundown. Very fast paced and no breaks. Spare me the tech talk. Also, no top LCD. The two times my photos have been published, the editors didn't care what I used. They just liked the results. My post focused on ergonomics. That is a technology Sony doesn't seem to know anything about. Use what works for you. Does not bother me one bit. Sony doesn't work for me no matter what they cram in that deck of cards.

Judging from the "hands on" videos on youtube, the A7R4 has more space between the grip and lensmount.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
"Caught up with sony" can mean: 1) higher dynamic range 2 )higher low light sensitivity (cmbined with higher dynamic range means even better night shots) and 3) lower noise. I hppe this comes to the new 7D/9D/90D and the 1Dx too.
As a canon shooter i want Canon to surpass others in the market.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
ugh... this is so boring. I have no use for bloated files from over-designed, puffed up sensors. I have both the Nikon D850 and the Canon 5D4. My 1DX2 will soon be for sale - being replaced by an easier to haul Leica M10. Bigger isn't better. Recently I enjoyed a hefty discount on my new Leica Q-P - - as it's replacement (with twice the MP - 47 vs 24) resulted in a major price cut - - see my big smile. Sadly there's no M11 in the near future - t cut prices on the M-10. Dammit.

That’s a lot of expensive cameras. Wanna buy me one?

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Does it have a reversing camera?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
That’s a lot of expensive cameras. Wanna buy me one?

I am more curious about how a Leica M-10 can be considered a replacement for a 1dx2. Obviously someone was not using the 1dx2to anything close to its capabilities

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I am more curious about how a Leica M-10 can be considered a replacement for a 1dx2. Obviously someone was not using the 1dx2to anything close to its capabilities

Well, they both show that you spent €7k on a camera that can be used to hammer nails into wood if the need arises.

Upvote 0
Below, when speaking about the RP.

So I don't know what your experience was, but it wasn't set correctly. I weigh 300 lbs (fat cheeks) and have a big fat nose. No problem at all. If I set the camera for right side and use my left eye, yeah, problems exactly like you experienced. Not set correctly.

It can be set for whole panel, top, bottom, left side, right side, top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left.

And this is related to the touch screen thing in what way? I know you can set the active touch screen area to your liking. But it didn't work for me. There is a reason for an AF-joystick and I won't buy another camera without it. I don't care if you can use the touchscreen or the 4-way pad on the back.

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
The R doesn't need a joystick. You can move the focus points around with your thumb on the screen whilst looking through the viewfinder. Its quicker and easier to do it with the touchscreen than the joystick. Try it.
Nah the touch and drag AF sucks because they didn't add a user customizable sensitivity setting to relative mode, a feature that's basically been in every other mouse-like interface made in the last 30 years.

If you don't use relative mode it forces you to hold the camera weird.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I, for one, would buy it if it were an SLR, but I am not buying into the R system. I am happy with my A7R3 and with my D850. I rather get the A7R4.
OK, your decision.
But why do you lose time on a Canon forum, just to criticize? In case you haven't got it, the subject of this forum is "High MP Canon mirrorless", not "I'm so in love with Wonderful Sony".

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0