Selling gear

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have all my EF gear on ebay right now. I sold the 24-70 in about two hours with no problem The problem is going to be the 5D Mark III. Everybody wants the shutter count... which is kind of silly for me to consider going through the ordeal of figuring out. I'm pretty sure the count is pretty low, but considering the condition (very good) I would not have thought that to be a problem. Canon will do it, but for $150. Other websites will do it, but many of them are notorious for inaccurate counts. Some are even known to have malware attached. So if I send the camera to Canon, that is -$150, then the ebay fees come up (high) I would just about have to give the camera away. Frustrating. I don't want to use a site other than Canon and then a buyer try to double check using a guesstimate website and start a row with paypal/e-bay. The lenses will sell just fine. No problem. Should I just wait for a buyer that is savvy enough to understand? One buyer wanted to knock $300 off my $999 price just because I don't have a shutter count listed. I don't want to lie. Many sellers just give a count, but I don't see any paperwork displayed proving what they have. Any ideas?

There's a freeware that will give you shutter count I use that works VERY well with my 5DIII

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You've even sold your 135L!?! :oops: That's a big call CFB! I guess you must be really enjoying the R system gear ...?
Yes, I am. Have the RF 85mm f/1.2 in my sights. I am also hoping for an RF version of the 135 in the future. Hated to do it, but I am so impressed with the R and my hit rate on the RF 24-105 f/4L that I'm going all in. I'll probably also put that lens on the sales block once I can afford the 28-70. The RF 85mm f/1.2L will fill the slot of my 135 until then.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You won’t miss the 135 when you have the RF85. I sold a lot of stuff to be able to get it, including my V-drums and two Amiga computers I had for 30 years. It’s a magnificent lens. I’ve already taken pictures that are probably my best yet.
That's what I figured. Besides, Canon will come out with and RF 135mm f/x.x. I am now down to one lens... The RF 24-105mm f/4. Well, and over 40 M42 screw mount legacy lenses which I may also sell off (not all). I don't know what your experience is, but my hit rate has really climbed due to the eye AF and all those focus points are a Godsend. Some will say it is a waste of money to buy those lenses for the R. I disagree. Once Paypal releases my funds, the RF 85mm f/1.2 will be in my livery. I can always upgrade to a pro R later (not an 80 megapixel monster though). I am seriously torn about whether or not to get the 50 f/1.2 or wait for a 135 prime or longer fast zoom. Unfortunately, I have run out of things to sell. ;) Fortunately, there is always cheap Ramen noodles and time to save. I should probably start taking on more paid shoots. Viggo, I would love to see some of those shots from the 85mm. That is a focal length I have never had in a prime. Sold all my EF gear in less than 24 hours.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm just curious. Why are you selling your camera and lenses?
That's a very good and fair question. To go to something that I think suits my individual needs better. The R is leagues ahead of my now sold 5D Mark III in my opinion, so is the AF and focus points of the R... along with real nice eye AF, which is very important to my work. It can really do wonders for composition. I loved my old gear, no doubt. But the R and RF system is better for me. It may not be for others, but for my needs it is. I vacillated between choosing the 5D Mark IV and the R. The R won for my needs and cost far less for the body. I am also on a very low income. Very low. I am disabled and live on my life savings. So I really have to pinch pennies and eat very cheap. I wear cheap clothes until they have holes in them, including $10 tennis shoes from Walmart. I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment of 547 sq ft. Photography is my only hobby, and only luxury. One day, when I improve enough, maybe I can start charging more often and up my income. I'm trying real hard, but have very little idea how to do that. My cognitive problems don't help.

I honestly didn't think the difference would be so big and I actually bought the R as a backup camera. After shooting with it, I find I really like the files and versatility. So, in the future, I can see myself getting another R as a backup. I think having two cameras of the same model will help me in fast paced situations I run into at model boot camps. I can have two of the same camera mounted with two different lenses and not have to remember two different methods of operation or worry about dropping things when I get flustered changing lenses. A huge advantage for a guy that has a lot of trouble remembering and learning new things.

The selling is to finance the new system (partially finance). My hit rate (eye) with the RF 24-105 f/4 is astounding. I'm making an educated guess, I think, that the f/1.2 and f/2 RF lenses combined with the R are also far superior. I also lust for the 28-70 f/2, just like I will (I hope) a longer f/2 zoom in the future. Also, sometimes I need to make some fairly large crops to capture an interesting part of a photo I see in the whole photo that I didn't see when taking the photo. The extra mega pixels help with that for me. When I print, they are almost always 20x30. The 5D Mark III handled that. The R will handle larger sizes better after a crop.

So my reasons are all personal., which is what choice is about. I won't ever knock anyone who chooses differently. We all have different wants/needs. I would prefer the R have IBIS because the lenses I will be choosing don't have IS. I'll look long and hard at an R body with IBIS and dual card slots in the future because of my experience with IBIS via my little Olympus. Yes, those fast RF lenses vignette. However, for what I do (portraits and fashion) it is not a problem, and my usual individual style is to add it anyway... sometimes heavily. I personally like vignette in most of my photos.

I hope that answers your question, and thanks for asking.

BTW: The fully articulating touch screen was also a big factor. I hope the pro version has it. It will take me years to round out my kit again, but that is half the fun. The RF 85mm f/1.2 is next on my list and I should have it soon... thanks to selling my EF gear, which I bought when I was in far better financial straights. I also have over 40 M42 screw mount lenses. The focus peaking helps my old eyes there too.

Example of where I think vignette improved a photo I took. The photo is cropped, so the vignette is right where I want it... mostly in the lower right, lower left, and top right. Crop came down from the top left, so no vignette there. I didn't want it in the top right and thought of that when I composed the photo and thought about how I would end up processing it in Lightroom/ Photoshop. Just my personal taste. I know vignette is a problem for many others. For me it is an advantage. 5D Mark III, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, no flash.

Attachments

• Kate 2 web.jpg
    Kate 2 web.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's a very good and fair question. To go to something that I think suits my individual needs better. The R is leagues ahead of my now sold 5D Mark III in my opinion, so is the AF and focus points of the R... along with real nice eye AF, which is very important to my work. It can really do wonders for composition. I loved my old gear, no doubt. But the R and RF system is better for me. It may not be for others, but for my needs it is. I vacillated between choosing the 5D Mark IV and the R. The R won for my needs and cost far less for the body. I am also on a very low income. Very low. I am disabled and live on my life savings. So I really have to pinch pennies and eat very cheap. I wear cheap clothes until they have holes in them, including $10 tennis shoes from Walmart. I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment of 547 sq ft. Photography is my only hobby, and only luxury. One day, when I improve enough, maybe I can start charging more often and up my income. I'm trying real hard, but have very little idea how to do that. My cognitive problems don't help.

I honestly didn't think the difference would be so big and I actually bought the R as a backup camera. After shooting with it, I find I really like the files and versatility. So, in the future, I can see myself getting another R as a backup. I think having two cameras of the same model will help me in fast paced situations I run into at model boot camps. I can have two of the same camera mounted with two different lenses and not have to remember two different methods of operation or worry about dropping things when I get flustered changing lenses. A huge advantage for a guy that has a lot of trouble remembering and learning new things.

The selling is to finance the new system (partially finance). My hit rate (eye) with the RF 24-105 f/4 is astounding. I'm making an educated guess, I think, that the f/1.2 and f/2 RF lenses combined with the R are also far superior. I also lust for the 28-70 f/2, just like I will (I hope) a longer f/2 zoom in the future. Also, sometimes I need to make some fairly large crops to capture an interesting part of a photo I see in the whole photo that I didn't see when taking the photo. The extra mega pixels help with that for me. When I print, they are almost always 20x30. The 5D Mark III handled that. The R will handle larger sizes better after a crop.

So my reasons are all personal., which is what choice is about. I won't ever knock anyone who chooses differently. We all have different wants/needs. I would prefer the R have IBIS because the lenses I will be choosing don't have IS. I'll look long and hard at an R body with IBIS and dual card slots in the future because of my experience with IBIS via my little Olympus. Yes, those fast RF lenses vignette. However, for what I do (portraits and fashion) it is not a problem, and my usual individual style is to add it anyway... sometimes heavily. I personally like vignette in most of my photos.

I hope that answers your question, and thanks for asking.

BTW: The fully articulating touch screen was also a big factor. I hope the pro version has it. It will take me years to round out my kit again, but that is half the fun. The RF 85mm f/1.2 is next on my list and I should have it soon... thanks to selling my EF gear, which I bought when I was in far better financial straights. I also have over 40 M42 screw mount lenses. The focus peaking helps my old eyes there too.

Example of where I think vignette improved a photo I took. The photo is cropped, so the vignette is right where I want it... mostly in the lower right, lower left, and top right. Crop came down from the top left, so no vignette there. I didn't want it in the top right and thought of that when I composed the photo and thought about how I would end up processing it in Lightroom/ Photoshop. Just my personal taste. I know vignette is a problem for many others. For me it is an advantage. 5D Mark III, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, no flash.
Thanks for this really honest statement, I wish you as much fun with your EOS R as I have!:)(y)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That's what I figured. Besides, Canon will come out with and RF 135mm f/x.x. I am now down to one lens... The RF 24-105mm f/4. Well, and over 40 M42 screw mount legacy lenses which I may also sell off (not all). I don't know what your experience is, but my hit rate has really climbed due to the eye AF and all those focus points are a Godsend. Some will say it is a waste of money to buy those lenses for the R. I disagree. Once Paypal releases my funds, the RF 85mm f/1.2 will be in my livery. I can always upgrade to a pro R later (not an 80 megapixel monster though). I am seriously torn about whether or not to get the 50 f/1.2 or wait for a 135 prime or longer fast zoom. Unfortunately, I have run out of things to sell. ;) Fortunately, there is always cheap Ramen noodles and time to save. I should probably start taking on more paid shoots. Viggo, I would love to see some of those shots from the 85mm. That is a focal length I have never had in a prime. Sold all my EF gear in less than 24 hours.
I also really like face detect/eye-AF with the R and find myself switching between single point and that way more often now. With the DSLR’s I always only used single point. Close portraits I usually use eye-AF with near 100% hitrate.

I posted this one in another review-thread also, but that seems like a pretty slow thread.

Took this a few days ago. Wide open, lit with my beloved Broncolor flash.

m11.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That's a very good and fair question. To go to something that I think suits my individual needs better.. .

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was a little surprised to learn you were dumping all your lenses, especially the 70-200, but obviously you've thought this through. I will say that the more I use the R the more I like it (although not so sure about the control bar thingy). Me, I'm not ready to dump the DSLR quite yet, but can see how future purchases might not be in the DSLR format -- depending on what Canon does with the "R1x" body. As for my EF lenses, I will hold on to them and defer R lens purchases until I see how things shake out.

Thanks.

Upvote 0