Further confirmation that the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS are coming in September

Jan 29, 2011
So by your seat belt experience, wouldn’t it be foolish of me to state the equivalent, example?

I’ve never needed a seat belt, nor have any of my friends. Most of the people I see using seat belts, don’t wear them properly. Therefore, I see this as a feature pushed by scientists and the government and not actually needed by professional drivers.

To someone like yourself, I would hope a statement like that would be very foolish and illogical, because it is. You don’t need any data if you already know that seat belts are effective for their designed purpose and car accidents happen.

We all know the purpose(s) of dual card slots and they’re effective at mitigating and preventing the problems they’re designed to protect against, when used properly.

Do you really need any data on how often a card fails? You actually can see that data, as you already know by your claim of a shelf life in your hard drives. Digital media and the disks they’re stored on have a shelf life and failure rates you can research on your own.

What’s the difference between in camera vs in computer? The risks are the same. Why have redundancy and backup only after the data leaves the camera?

I used the Raid 1 & 10 example as that’s pretty much what is happening in dual card slots if you’re using it for redundancy. We use Raid 1 for our working drives, backed up externally and swapped with off location storage. We mirror this practice with our CF and SD cards. Mirror, swap, different location, etc. to prevent loss, damage, theft, etc.

Reputation, cost, legal, etc are among MANY reasons to have a good digital workflow, as you perceive to be doing yourself. I would disagree with your workflow as it’s not right for us and we have a higher standard of mitigation.

No, we don't know that! We have half assed anecdotes and messages pushed by manufacturers and influencers. On the other hand seat belt laws were implemented because of hard data gained in a systematic and authenticated way over many years across relevant numbers.

All I am saying is I believe the necessity of dual card slots and the way they are pushed as being a requirement for a camera to be considered 'pro' is vastly overstated, and my varied and long term single point anecdotal experience backs that up.

Seatbelts and long term digital storage are poor references for comparisons. Digital medium format is the preserve of the very richest amateurs and pros with the highest paying clients, yet dual cards are not considered a 'must have' feature. There are far too many anomalies where dual card slots are just not relevant to back up the meme that stills pro cameras must have them to be taken seriously.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Or he could use two card slots? Lol, this is like saying, you could drive 3 mph and avoid traffic if you don’t want to use a seat belt. Maybe just use the seat belt?
Way to take the point out of context. The CONTEXT was he is using an R (a single card camera) and feels he has to rush home to prevent from getting sued, an opinion I felt was laughable.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
So you're saying you didn't use one of the commonly available dual film roll cameras, back in the day?
One botched roll would be 36 images, right? One corrupt card, over a thousand.

Is there a reliable survey that does indicate how wedding photographers and photojournalists feel about two card slots?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Would you consider a 3 point seat belt superior to a zero point? I believe that’s the question.
I believe you need the actual statistics to determine which analogy actually applies.

The safety or mitigation should at least be equal to the amount or risk someone is willing to tolerate.

Shooting personal photos? 1 card, no problem for me.

Shooting portraits and events? 2 card, great!
Do you want it to be mandatory? Like, a government should fine photographers that use two cameras with one card each instead of one camera with two cards?

• Haha
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
In my experience, of shooting professionally since 1978, I have never met a single professional photographer who values or adequately uses a 2 slot camera for anything other than in failover mode, which is nothing a bigger card couldn't do. Two card slots in my general experience is a 'feature' that has been pushed heavily by the press and influencers and is a feature not generally concerning actual working pros.
I suppose the lack of a double-film roll camera sort of proves your point...

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
My, some people get very defensive when others criticize Canon for failing to release a mirrorless camera with 2 card slots.

If you're angry when people bring up the 2 card slot problem, ask yourself, "Why do I feel this way?"

If the answer is that you don't think Canon should release cameras with 2 card slots, that's fine.

If you think other people should not want 2 card slots, that's less reasonable, since everyone who wants 2 has some explanation, and Canon itself hasn't released serious cameras without 2 since about 2008 (someone can correct my date if this is wrong).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
You could 'back up' your data on site with a readily available stand alone HDD with built in card reader. No hurrying "home to back up the data so i dont risk a chance of getting sued, getting yelled at, getting beat up/shoot/ getting a bad reputation" just a well managed and disciplined digital workflow. I don't understand the fail over time comment either, why would anybody use a questionably aged card on a mission critical shooting situation with no on site failure mitigation where there is even the slightest possibility of "getting sued"? Indeed why would anybody ever use a questionable card for anything other than a door stop?
also it is annoying to carry extra stuff. I just like to work with at most 2 camera bodies on my body. I did consider it. I also heard a few negatives like software issues with the WD one but i dont know the frequency of those issues. Its not about using an aged card. Its about have a a lower chance of my entire day vanishing. I do not trust the reliability of any storage medium. Old or new. In my life I think high quality Discs are the most reliable storage medium if you store them properly and dont touch the data side. P.S. how does one determine if a card is aged anyway
?

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
No, we don't know that! We have half assed anecdotes and messages pushed by manufacturers and influencers. On the other hand seat belt laws were implemented because of hard data gained in a systematic and authenticated way over many years across relevant numbers.

All I am saying is I believe the necessity of dual card slots and the way they are pushed as being a requirement for a camera to be considered 'pro' is vastly overstated, and my varied and long term single point anecdotal experience backs that up.

Seatbelts and long term digital storage are poor references for comparisons. Digital medium format is the preserve of the very richest amateurs and pros with the highest paying clients, yet dual cards are not considered a 'must have' feature. There are far too many anomalies where dual card slots are just not relevant to back up the meme that stills pro cameras must have them to be taken seriously.
I tend to agree, on my dual-card 5D3 I put the raw files on the SD card and for the sake of it I write jpg large onto the compact flash, and have never had to use the CF card backup, SD cards are very reliable in my experience. It did not bother me that my 6D (second body) had one card only, now replaced by the RP, also single card. I'll grant to wedding or sports pro photographers that they need the security of dual cards, but for a pro doing location or studio photography tethered is often a better approach. The biggest risk of mirrorless IMHO is damage or dirt to the sensor, not card failure, so dual cameras a safe bet.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
My, some people get very defensive when others criticize Canon for failing to release a mirrorless camera with 2 card slots.

If you're angry when people bring up the 2 card slot problem, ask yourself, "Why do I feel this way?"
And if I'm not angry, but just helpful? You know, helping people that want to discuss something like card slots in the topic about lenses...

Upvote 0
Geezus. This long after the R is released and I can’t believe people are still debating the card slot issue.

There should be a quarantine forum for you freaks to sling at each other.

If you need two card slots, that’s cool it’s totally understandable, the R isn’t for you, or you need to utilize one of the work arounds so you can start investing in the RF system now instead of waiting for a more mature line up.

Canon has already suggested the next camera will have 2 slots. Can we just move on.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
As a photographer who uses Canon full frame for landscape photography — and who often ends up carrying the gear on his back — while these are necessary and interesting lenses, I'm watching for the RF equivalents of the 16-35 f/4, 24- 70 f/4, and 70-200 f/4.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
All these nice lenses but cant make a camera with 2 slots.

"Can't?"

Canon does make cameras with dual slots, so your point is nonsense... or a troll... or both.

You are correct that they have not put two slots in the lower-level mirrorless cameras they started out with. But there's no doubt that they will do so in mirrorless bodies that continue the lineage of the 5D and 1D series bodies.

Upvote 0

Adventure Kid

Canon EOS R / 6D Mk I
Aug 2, 2019
I’ve been really happy with my EF 16-35 F/4 mounted on both the R/6D. Had a chance to play with the EF 16-35 F/2.8 mkiii. It wasn’t enough for me to jump the $1k gap.

Maybe this new one will. Nice having that extra 1mm, as I like to shoot a lot of landscapes, while the wife on the other hand portraits. Either way, I’m glad Canon is delivering high quality glass.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Interesting dilemma, the 11-24 doesn't take filters - until you put it on an adapter for the R, its f4 but way wider and doesn't have IS, however it will work on EF and RF; the RF 15-35 will take filters on the front, has IS and f2.8 but will only work on mirrorless. They will weigh comparable amounts and be similar sizes.

Do you shoot events or statics? What is your preferred shooting aperture? Interesting dilemma for some, I'll be sticking with the 11-24 as for me the near unique fov is king.
This lens will likely be a bit lighter than the EF 16-35 f2.8 III. The 11-24 + adapter is way bigger, heavier and not as balanced, but the pricing of the two won't be far off each other in the beginning, so one could say the latter offers more glass for the money - literally.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Agreed, except personally I’d miss the 24-28mm range not the IS. If the R was my primary camera, I’d be very interested in the RF 24-70/2.8 IS. For my current use of the R (mainly a travel camera), I’ll stick with the 24-105, or perhaps I will pick up the 24-240 when that comes out, depending on image quality.

The EF 24-70/2.8 II remains my most-used lens on the 1D X.
Thanks for correcting my typo (28-70/2 instead of 24-70/2.8) in such a nice way :). You are right, the missing 24-28mm range makes quite a substantial difference on the wide angle side. I use such fast standard zooms frequently, too, since many years and models, starting with a manual Sigma 28-70 zoom being my first interchangeable lens, for my Nikon FM-2 (I changed to Canon, when I went digital, and did not regret that yet).

Upvote 0