Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II announcements coming at the end of August

I've been following CR for quite sometime, but only now joined the forum.

As someone who got into the DSLR realm only 5-½ years ago with my current Rebel T3i and a handful of basic lenses, I have been anxiously waiting for this 80D/7D replacement model for over a year.

I would consider myself an advanced amateur, and am wanting to take the next logical step up. I'm not quite at the level of needing to go deep into the 5D/6D FF world (financial-wise and otherwise). And, IMHO, the mirrorless industry is still in its infancy.

Getting a top-of-the-line crop sensor DSLR, plus getting a few more new/better EF lenses (I already bought my first L lens secondhand - the 70-200 F/2.8 for half the price), including the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 (to step up from my Nifty-50), Tamron 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3, plus a decent macro lens and a decent wide-angle lens for landscape photography.

I figure that if my abilities over the next 5 years take the next logical step (in becoming a part-time professional), it is then that I'll move up to a FF, with mirrorless technology being much more mature by then. I could imagine an well-tested "R-5D" with an EF adapter as being my next step up in 2024.

So, for me, this "90D" will work perfectly for me. Been chomping at the bit for many months now.
Get RP you won’t regret it! I can’t believe you can stand T3i that long.. i shoot more portrait, I absolutely can not stand SL2, and I’m not regretting the upgrade... especiallly for the price. (Greentoe accept my offer &1069 with adapter)

Upvote 0
According to specs speculated, it looks to be more in a 7D territory, than it ever was in the 80D territory - dual digic, dual card slot? IIRC never was the case with the xxD line. Weather sealing should be imo OK. Wonder about the joystick. Maybe Canon is trying to create kind of Nikon 500/850 universal soldier.

But - if new 90D does not kind of replace 7DII, I wonder what data Canon had, to give-up on what many ppl might think as a successful model. For me, a bit surprising ...
If it uses XQD cards, I'm ok with one slot. The chances of failure are very small to begin with. Coupled with the fact that the XQD uses a different writing sequence much more like a PCIe internal SSD drive if there is a failure it's usually on a block level where only one or two individual pictures might be corrupt, not the whole card like with older media.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Out of curiosity, is there anything out there that shows just how much worse the 80D is at handling bad weather than the 7D II? As I don't have any truly weather sealed lenses (Sigma 150-600mm C has a rubber gasget at least) and no interest in getting wet myself, I only used my 80D in drizzle. But I did that with my T3i as well without issues, and that had no sealing at all.

I have done extensive practical testing by flooding my 7D in an underwater housing and dropping/submerging my 80d in a rockpool as well as using them both and a 7D2 in rain many times.

In both cases with saltwater they were damaged but did surprisingly well, still turning on etc, and the leaks were minor but unfortunately ultimately lethal. The 7D also survived various splashes with saltwater before its final immolation but Im pretty sure that was dicing with disaster.

Have never had any problems with rain other than a button not responding till it dried on my 6D. My 100-400mm II was also submerged in the seawater rockpool and still works perfectly 2 years later.

Dont do what I do, but many concerns about rain and weather are a bit overblown, saltwater is the real killer to worry about no matter what you're using and even there its surprising how well they do if you're not completely homicidal towards cameras like I appear to be. Dust/sand and powder is a whole other story too.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
OK seriously: what is it with the Mirrorless Cult? It's getting to the point where mirrorless shooters are expecting a spaceship to appear in the sky to transport them and their Nikes to a planet with nothing but super model filled national parks, leaving the heathen mirror slappers behind. And of course if that UFO isn't filled with Canon mirrorless cameras then CANON. IS. DOOMED.

DSLRs still out sell mirrorless cameras, and do so by wide margins in north America and Europe.
There is still a large market of people who want the DSLR form factor and an OVF. Yes, yes, sooner or later those sales will cross over. And guess what? Even then, for years, there will still be a market for DSLRs. Mirrorless is not a paradigm shift, and quite frankly it still, after a decade of being developed and pushed, still has some cons vs SLRs. We can nitpick the small differences between the two designs, but honestly if you can't get the shot with a 7D mark II or a 90D...you're probably not going to get it with mirrorless either.

The entire ILC market is experiencing severe contraction as people rely more and more on phones. And let's face it, there's also a bit of consumer exhaustion with all the photos out there. Hoping for the 90D to flop is the same as hoping you have a smaller market with fewer options, from Canon or any manufacturer, in the future.

Yeah, I don’t get this whole mirrorless revolution either. I guess to some folks, when they pick up something different everything that came before it is just useless. I’m very much in the newer isn’t always better camp myself.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
"market share" is typically based on revenue.

Sometimes. I don't read Sony press releases, so this board is where I see that meaning the most. Most of the time when I see the term without other qualifiers, context suggests that it means units sold. Companies will brag about units shipped, which may mean there are many, many units in warehouses and sitting on store shelves. Getting into an argument over which common definition of a term is valid makes a whole lot less sense than just saying what you mean in the first place.

Several years back I recall reading that Apple did not have a huge share of the smart phone market. Samsung had better numbers, but still not huge. But the report went on to say that Apple and Samsung accounted for 134% (or something like that) of the profits.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I too am looking forward to the 90D. On a Rebel T5 right now.

I also don't get the mirrorless cult. Some people are unhinged, hoping that Canon flops with the 90D just so they can have more one fewer camera with a mirror. It's creepy, the limitless hate for something that doesn't affect their lives at all. You people, please see a doctor.

Also, the people threatening Canon demanding feature X or feature Y, or you will raise your tiny fists in the direction of Canon HQ and post angry crap on the interwebz. Ooooohhh. Canon's shaking in their shoes. Please see a doctor, too.

And yes, I can stand (OHMYGOSH) using a T5. I know, it's like how can I SURVIVE using something that isn't the latestgreatestshinytech???

Maybe it's because I'm sane.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Three weeks ago at the supermarket I bought two boxes of Crunch and Munch. I consumed the contents while watching TV a few nights. So last week I was going to buy a couple more boxes. I went to the same shelf. Not only were there no boxes of Crunch and Munch, but there was no bare shelf space and no price label for it. There was in fact no kind of caramel corn, Cracker Jack, or anything like that. At checkout I was asked as usual whether I found everything, and I reported the sudden disappearance. A manager was summoned, and the database showed no such product. He concluded that they must not carry it any more.

Now I'm not as fussy as you guys. I'm not demanding the caramel over the butter toffee flavor or even a particular brand or even whether it has nuts or what kind. But at least I can sympathize a bit more with those of you who demand some feature, and plan to make major financial transactions of selling and buying and jumping among ships accordingly if it doesn't appear in accord with your timetable. I do find it hard to believe that everyone else has quit eating caramel corn, Cracker Jack, and the like, besides me.

• Love
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Yes, dtaylor, the 5D is a fine camera for the purposes you describe: landscape, studio and I myself will even add: for occasional action stills. The 1D-series is the action-beast with terrific performance for action photography.

You're missing the point. Originally the 1D series was both: 1D for action, 1Ds for high resolution landscape/studio. Canon eventually made the cheaper 5D series the landscape/studio camera.

The post I was responding to claimed that Canon would never make a 90D good enough to serve as a 7D mark III because Canon would never do 'something like that', make a cheaper series replace a more expensive one. But they have. And let us not forget that the xxD series was once everything people came to expect the 7D series to be: tough sealed magnesium bodies, action orientated, etc. Canon introduced the 7D so that they had room to make the xxD series more 'prosumer' orientated. Who is to say they aren't merging the lines again and the xxD won't be every bit as tough as the 7Ds were?

The 90D will be an allrounder because the rumoured specs and all other 'leaks' show clearly it is aimed at a multitude of users (both stills and video). No all-rounder can match the 7D Mk II as an speedy action camera.

And what if the 90D uses the rumored M6 II sensor and can do 16 fps (mirror up) with AF/AE? Then what?

The badge is not 'magic'. The specs determine what the camera can do.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I also don't get the mirrorless cult. Some people are unhinged, hoping that Canon flops with the 90D just so they can have more one fewer camera with a mirror. It's creepy, the limitless hate for something that doesn't affect their lives at all. You people, please see a doctor.

It's getting so bad that soon we're going to have to form a group to defend mirror slapper rights :ROFLMAO:

And yes, I can stand (OHMYGOSH) using a T5. I know, it's like how can I SURVIVE using something that isn't the latestgreatestshinytech???

The T5 uses the 18mp sensor that originated in the 7D, right?

I tend to overhaul my entire kit and then shoot for years. I shot on a 10D and 20D longer than I probably should have (still have the 10D and it still works), then jumped to a 7D that I used for nearly a decade. My next overhaul was straight to 50mp FF. Now I fell in love with the IQ you get from high resolution FF. But that 18mp crop sensor filled multiple 17x22 albums with sharp, detailed prints.

I can remember when the 11mp 1Ds was the greatest thing in 35mm and 18mp would have been the domain of MF digital backs that were ISO limited to 200 or less (practically). Now you have to "tolerate" an 18mp sensor with a much greater ISO range.

Some people don't know what they have or how far photography has come.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I do find it hard to believe that everyone else has quit eating caramel corn, Cracker Jack, and the like, besides me.

Clearly you've jumped timelines. What were cameras like in your timeline? In ours web sites like DPReview push nothing but Canon cameras based on their OxD Appealing Color Science scores. Us Sony fans keep trying to talk about dynamic range and keep trying to get a fair review, but nobody will hear it :p

Upvote 0
According to Sonyalpharumors Sony will launch most likely two new APS-C E-Mount cameras at the end of the month. Once more new Sony stuff when Canon had the same plan. While my normal reaction for the last weeks was that Canon wouldn't get bashed by photography pages / people for their two upcoming cameras, I do think that now it's pretty obvious that people will compare the Canon 90D / M6 Mark II with the Sony APS-C flagship. I know, different cameras, but hey it's the internet, so they will compare like they did it before with Sony A73 + Fujifilm X-T3 or Sony A7R2 + Canon 5D4.

In other news: I just want my Canon M6 Mark II. :love:

Upvote 0
Have you thought about the EOS RP? EF lenses work great on it and the EOS R with the adaptor. You're absolutely in the middle of the demographic that Canon wants to encourage into FF mirrorless, hence the pricing on the EOS RP (and the cut-down 5Diii which is the EOS R for those with a bit more money to spend).

Get RP you won’t regret it! I can’t believe you can stand T3i that long.. i shoot more portrait, I absolutely can not stand SL2, and I’m not regretting the upgrade... especiallly for the price. (Greentoe accept my offer &1069 with adapter)

Yeah, I don’t get this whole mirrorless revolution either. I guess to some folks, when they pick up something different everything that came before it is just useless. I’m very much in the newer isn’t always better camp myself.

I have no interest, at this time, in getting into the mirrorless realm while it's still in it's infancy. When it has matured, proven it's abilities, improved it's specs, and dropped in it's price, THEN maybe get into it. And, at that point, I will have grown in my own abilities as a photographer and delving into well-established FF mirrorless would make more sense (to me, at least). Which is why I think in 4-5 years a mirrorless 5D-type camera from Canon with an EF adapter could make perfect sense (and that's if I want to go the full "pro" route).

I bought my T3i new in March of 2014. It was my first DSLR. At the time, it really came down to either Canon or Nikon (kinda like the Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus of the camera world... it's a strained analogy, I know, but you kinda get the point). I had already gravitated toward Canon having used their P&S camera, plus they had the better lens reputation. I narrowed it down to three models: the new T5, the older T3i and the new SL1. The T5 did not have an articulating LCD screen, and that was a big issue for me, while the specs difference compared to the T3i were not that much of a deal-breaker. I went into a Fry's to put my hand on the SL1 and it was waaaay too small for my hands. So I went with the T3i, got the kit lens, and a couple other EF lenses (including the Nifty-50).

I was prepared to move up to the 80D a little over a year ago, but then the rumors started swirling about it's soon-coming replacement. I waited while the rumors continued, and instead bought my L lens (which I love) and a Rokinon aspherical wide angle (that I'm not happy with).

I'm not at the stage in my abilities (and needs) to go FF like a 5D or 6D. Moving into the top-of-the-line crop-sensor makes the most sense for me (ability-wise and cost-wise). That meant either the 80D or the 7D. Now that I was proven wise to wait as the soon-coming "90D" will be a merged upgrade of those two models. $1400-1500 body-only fits my nitch. Anything above my T3i's barely 4-fps is a major bonus for action shots. Most of the new specs being floated around for the new "90D" sound great to me.

You'll see the link to my (for now) Flickr page in my signature, below. The "Portfolio" album will give you an idea of things I shoot.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I wonder why anyone wish others to fail? As you know, Canon is commited to their R line and develop a growing line of RF lenses. So why "wish" that the DSLR will be a "flopp"? By the way, anger attitude generate wrinkls on people face if you haven't noticed that already.
70%+ gave thumbs up and look at all of the following consensus.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
OK seriously: what is it with the Mirrorless Cult? It's getting to the point where mirrorless shooters are expecting a spaceship to appear in the sky to transport them and their Nikes to a planet with nothing but super model filled national parks, leaving the heathen mirror slappers behind. And of course if that UFO isn't filled with Canon mirrorless cameras then CANON. IS. DOOMED.

DSLRs still out sell mirrorless cameras, and do so by wide margins in north America and Europe.
There is still a large market of people who want the DSLR form factor and an OVF. Yes, yes, sooner or later those sales will cross over. And guess what? Even then, for years, there will still be a market for DSLRs. Mirrorless is not a paradigm shift, and quite frankly it still, after a decade of being developed and pushed, still has some cons vs SLRs. We can nitpick the small differences between the two designs, but honestly if you can't get the shot with a 7D mark II or a 90D...you're probably not going to get it with mirrorless either.

The entire ILC market is experiencing severe contraction as people rely more and more on phones. And let's face it, there's also a bit of consumer exhaustion with all the photos out there. Hoping for the 90D to flop is the same as hoping you have a smaller market with fewer options, from Canon or any manufacturer, in the future.
For some of us that uses DSLR to shoot video more than photos, are you saying that we can't demand for mirrorless? I mean, after all, when shooting video, it's practically a mirrorless device to capture the video. So why not push it a bit further and demand for the removal of the mirror?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
For some of us that uses DSLR to shoot video more than photos, are you saying that we can't demand for mirrorless? I mean, after all, when shooting video, it's practically a mirrorless device to capture the video. So why not push it a bit further and demand for the removal of the mirror?
Because there is room for both.

Upvote 0