New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R [CR1]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Lol, It’s not Sony we’re talking about.. well, they eventually figured out they could update firmware rather than force you to buy a new camera, but took them long enough...

I would be willing to pay for an update if Canon would make it.
No biggie as long as it improved my camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Is be very happy if they could improve Eye AF, as well as bringing a proper intervalomenter in camera! The 80D has it, and I want to be able to control RAW files instead of having a pre-made video
Also the actual product would be 6K+
IF they can manage extra features too it would be even cooler, but usually it’s just bug fixes uff

Perhaps today's marketing would not allow this but Canon did extremely well with 3 models.
F-1, FTb and TX. Each updated over time and the EF later added.
Why not a pro model, advanced amateur and casual shooter not desiring every bell and whistle?
All with same high quality sensor but other features left off as price goes down.

Upvote 0
I would be willing to pay for an update if Canon would make it.
No biggie as long as it improved my camera.

Same here - if it increases the usability of a camera by paying 30 EUR/USD compared to buying a new one for 2000 EUR/USD it would be cheap and fair for Canons programmers and testers.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dear Canon,
Few ideas for firmware update from an actual user who has EOS R on active use since day 3 from release.
1)
Please please change the distance when proximity sensor switches from back screen to EVF. Currently it is way to sensitive.
Please set it to ~3-4mm from EVF. And also please make it to switch way faster. Its sometimes laggy. Because ofter sensor is trigered by neckstrap, hand movement etc.
2)
Its not a popular demand, but with canon flash used why such a slow frame rate? This could be improved greatly.
3) Please change direction when turning wheel to switch between Av Tv M and other modes. Current direction when turning wheel seems kinda unlogical and I cannot get to it. Otherwise around would be way better.
4)Please - close shutter when lens is removed not only when camera is turned off.
5) Close shutter way faster when camera is turned off. It seems that function to close shutter is last in turn off sequence.
I can manage to switch to turn off camera and change lenses before shutter comes down to protect sensor. Sometimes if find myself to wait for few seconds before shutter closes and then change lenses.
6)I dont have any lenses with IS, but friends who have complain that IS is always on - therefore battery is used a lot more. This could be software fix.
7) Why it is not possible to read lens info from FD lenses?
8) Intervalometer

Rest of wishes here on forum are to improve Auto focus. Yes - that would be great, but that makes small part of improvements you could make for thoes who really use the camera and would improve a lot.

My complaint about auto focus even does not make TOP8 of issues you could fix to make this camera waaaaaay better.

Thanks
Janis

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Orange menu no.3 let’s you change direction of Tv/Av wheels.

I have set “Lens electronic MF” to My Menu to turn it off when I don’t need it, because it activates the camera when it’s hanging on the strap. I initially thought it was the VF. That can also happen, but not as often for me. Anyway, I set the camera to ECO-mode so that it shuts down faster and the proximity of the EVF sensor is not as big of an issue.

I agree though, we should be able to change the sensitivity there, because if I want to use the flippyscreen I actually have to take my strap off to hold the camera far enough from my body. Either that or manually force the screen to be active.

I also agree with the “IS always on” it’s just a horrendous decision , it was even on when I used the menu’s. Wears out the IS unit and the camera battery for sure.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I'm hoping for:
- An electronic level like the one on the 5 D IV, the R's being simply far too intrusive.
- A way to regulate the viewfinder's brightness.
- A more "restrictive" focus peaking
Otherwise, more possibilities to customize the viewfinder's information.
Yet, extremely satisfied with the EOS R, really great little camera!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I'm hoping for:
- An electronic level like the one on the 5 D IV, the R's being simply far too intrusive.
- A way to regulate the viewfinder's brightness.
- A more "restrictive" focus peaking
Otherwise, more possibilities to customize the viewfinder's information.
Yet, extremely satisfied with the EOS R, really great little camera!
You CAN adjust VF brightness.

Agreed on the level, it’s way too much..

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Where can you adjust the VF brightness? because I didn't find the option... just for screen.

Sometimes I felt the VF not bright enough when use the camera in bright sunlight.
Use the brightness option for the screen, just look through the EVF, not on the screen, the option changes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I also agree with the “IS always on” it’s just a horrendous decision , it was even on when I used the menu’s. Wears out the IS unit and the camera battery for sure.

Is this true in any AF mode? No menu options to cancel this out? Wow, this seems incredibly STUUUUUPID. Definitely needs a firmware fix, if Canon can do it.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Is this true in any AF mode? No menu options to cancel this out? Wow, this seems incredibly STUUUUUPID. Definitely needs a firmware fix, if Canon can do it.
I hardly use anything but Servo, at least in that case the IS was always on and it annoyed the cr@p out of me...

The one solution that works is to switch the IS off on the lens itself, but it’s easy to see why that is not a viable option in the go.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0