Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Clear telltale signs this is not a 7DM2 substitute or merger: no dual card slots, single processing unit, and back wheel-control à la the middle tier 6DM2, not the beefier, heavier, 7DM2, 5DM4 and of course 1DX models (see image below).

To be fair, you can't really fit a large back dial in a body that also has a tilty-flippy. But from the picture it appears that they have enlarged it a bit. They have moved the groove you use to flip open the display to the top right, and it appears the display is also more flush with the rest of the back surface, which improves the ergonomics as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
A snip from the 90D video. Does the statement "During viewfinder shooting (AF fixed/tracking)" mean that when looking through the optical viewfinder and shooting at the high rate of 10 fps the AF is fixed; as in you have no AF available when shooting stills at 10fps? Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly.

Canon 90D fixed AF.png

this means 10fps with either fixed or servo tracking focus when shooting through the viewfinder
it would be less than 10fps when shooting in Live View is my take on this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
A snip from the 90D video. Does the statement "During viewfinder shooting (AF fixed/tracking)" mean that when looking through the optical viewfinder and shooting at the high rate of 10 fps the AF is fixed; as in you have no AF available when shooting stills at 10fps? Please tell me I am reading this incorrectly.

Canon 90D fixed AF.png

It probably means that AF is fixed while shooting, in other words no dynamic AF, whatever point the camera was focused on initially stays the focus point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
So, if there's no 7DII upgrade and if this is the last of the SLRs, I would have to choose between getting one of these and never buying anything else, or selling most things I have an "upgrading" (actually downgrading) to mirrorless full-frame.

The 24-70/2.8IS for the R's interests me, as does the 24-240. But I'd have to have a body with around 60-100MP so in crop mode it would be similar to the 90D (83.2MP would be equal). And I'd have to resign myself to tolerating an EVF.

That's a lot of money to spend to get something I don't really want, but the alternative is being stuck with unsupported hardware lines (EF, EF-s and EOS SLRs).

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
It probably means that AF is fixed while shooting, in other words no dynamic AF, whatever point the camera was focused on initially stays the focus point.
If this is the case, then there is no way this is a 7DII replacement. Continuous tracking AF is a necessity for an action camera body IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
The 80D already has 7 fps with tracking, so 10 would not be such a big update.
The issue is the 90D may not have tracking, but instead fixed AF when shooting 10fps, so whatever your focus point/plane was when you started a burst, that is where the AF stays. The AF does not actively track the subject in between frames. For me this would be a no go.

Upvote 0