Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

Jun 29, 2017
The M6 Mkii is pretty close to getting my attention on an APS-C sensor. If you're going to go small, go small! The lens quality for the offerings are good enough for carrying around something so small and compact. Right now my EOS R has been heavily favored over the 5Dmkiv. The weight savings means I get this out more and shoot more. The best camera you have is the one you use. Period. The abilities of this little M body may make it easier for me to piece together the video BTS of my photographic journeys.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
That's going to be a long wait, friend. No native mirrorless high-end lenses in either M or RF mounts.

EF and EF-S still hold a firm grip in CanonLand. Chances are either a new 1D or 7D will be a mirror flapper.

1) I don't mind the wait.
2) There is likely not going to be another 7D.

EDIT: "No native mirrorless high-end lenses?" Wut?

Upvote 0
I can’t figure out why anyone would buy an EOS M camera since Canon doesn’t provide a decent selection of lenses for the format. Adapting EF lenses to it results in a big lens with a very small camera attached; e.g. very poor ergonomics. The RF mount is clearly Canon’s future direction.
These lenses are the only thing that keeps me interested in Canon at all right now, and they are all excellent value in a small light package. In my opinion, they are the best little lenses available for any of the APS-C mirrorless systems:
EF-M 11-22 IS
EF-M 22 f/2
EF-M 32 f/1.4

The M6 mk II is not particularly spectacular looking to me. As usual, the devil is in what Canon withholds unnecessarily compared to competitors. I'll see what the M5 II looks like, which may lead to me selling my remaining Canon gear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
30 years with Canon and I have decided to sell all my Canon gear and move over to Sony. I gave Canon time to come up with a professional mirrorless camera and they have failed. These cameras coming out are not of professonal grade. To me these are travel cameras. A professional grade camera is one that is also weather sealed and a camera can take a beating of daily use. Two card slots and a camera and that shoot a great number of shots in the silent mode before the buffer kicks in and a camera is is able to use all my Canon lenses.
And who has brought out lenses the equal of the current RF lineup? Nobody, and Canon will only get better from here.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I can’t figure out why anyone would buy an EOS M camera since Canon doesn’t provide a decent selection of lenses for the format. Adapting EF lenses to it results in a big lens with a very small camera attached; e.g. very poor ergonomics. The RF mount is clearly Canon’s future direction.
Because it is small and lower cost.

Lenses: 22F2, 28F3.5 macro, 11-22F4-5.6, 32F1.4, 55-200F4-6.3, 18-150F3.5-6.3, 15-45F3.5-6.3. Not very many native lenses....yet....

Third party we have 6.5F2 fisheye, 7.5F2.8 fisheye, 8F3.5 fisheye, 10F2.8, 12F2.8, 16F2.0, 21F1.4, 25F1.8, 28F2.8, 35F0.95, 35F1.2, 35F1.4, 35F1.7, 40F0.85!, 50F1.2, 50F1.8, 50F2.0, 55F1.4, 60F2.8 macro, 85F1.8, 300F6.3, 6-11F3.5 fisheye, 18-200F3.5-6.3

And every one of those lenses is small and most are low cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Is pre ordering from canon a good idea? I'm worried about early units having potential quality issues or is canon pretty good in sorting out quality before a product hits production?
Most people pre-order from a retailer, not directly from Canon. Every new release is going to have some problems, usually minor, that requires a firmware fix.

The biggest reason not to pre-order is that you will end up paying the early adopter's price, whereas if you wait the price almost always falls. There are some exceptions: The 1D series seldom drops significantly for at least a year or two and the 5Ds R held steady until just recently. But models like the 90D usually see some discounts often beginning in the first six months or so after introduction. Canon starts offering rebates and bundles and retailers, anxious to move stock, offer discounts through the Canon Price Watch Street Price Program and other special deals.

Upvote 0
Completely agree
I just haven’t seen anything close to what I want. I am willing to go with the 5D or 1D replacement if it’s mirrorless and comes in the next year.
Looking for improvements in tracking/focus and speed. I really don’t want 50 plus megapixels and don’t think the R line is a contender
In these days of mirrorless cameras and this maybe being the last Canon DSLR I was hoping for a 7D/80D on steroids which at least would match the Nikon D500. The 7DII´s AF is still better than this new 90D. Upgrading from the 80D for bird shooting seems pointless...guess I´ll go for the Nikon D500 then...will miss my EF 100-400mk.II though... If there is some mirrorless wonder in the making why even bother releasing this 90D??

Upvote 0
As having owned both the 7D and 7Dii I don’t see this as a replacement like it was possibly thought to be. More like just an update to the 80 D only.
Hoping they do an updated 7D version for the R line.
I too am holding off. my 7d ii does have a issue that I have to send into canon for repair. I have a 70D and a 60D as backup. But I too hope for a sports camera.

Upvote 0