Poll: Are you going to be preordering the Canon EOS 90D or Canon EOS M6 Mark II?

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
I do not consider these cameras.
And it is not only because I am not an early adopter.

About 16 months ago I upgraded from a "very old" Rebel - 450D to 80D. I did it after long period of waiting. I did not want the huge body of 80D (yes, for me it is huge and heavy even if many CR members will disagree), but I wanted either a Canon body with a newer APS-C sensor and AF micro adjustments or a mirrorless APS-C body (any brand) with IBIS. After the release of 77D (crippled, without AF MA) I was considering all reasonable options (actually only three) and ended up with a second hand 80D.
I like all its functions, especially the sensor (much better, of course, than my old 450D) and AF micro adjustments (helped me to use my 85 1.8 and 100 2.0 with more confidence), I can make excellent family/travel shots with it. But, as I feared, it is too big for me, so I tend to leave it at home more frequently. And I am still missing stabilization for many of my lenses.

So a new Canon DSLR body would interest me if it either had IBIS or was smaller/lighter than 80D and had AF MA, but preferably both these features. An M body with IBIS and fully articulated screen would attract my interest too.
Unfortunately, 90D and M6 II tick none of these boxes...
(Maybe Fuji X-T40 will have IBIS...?)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No. I use the 80D. I love the flippy screen, comes in handy for macro, a fact that everybody seems to overlook. I wish other manufacturers would have it. Fuji kind of has it in the XT3 now. Have no interest in video. I was hoping for NO AA filter, IBIS would be nice, better DR, eye tracking focus, built in focus stacking (which they might have). As a macro shooter I'm going for great detail and Canon's insistence of keeping the AA filter (excepts on the 5ds R) is maddening. Might switch to Nikon or Sony. Canon just can't keep up. It's downright puzzling. Will probably go mirrorless if I make the switch.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2018
I am not buying anything until I see the roadmap. The R mount lenses are too enticing to invest in a body that cannot use the R-mount. 90D is not really a replacement for my 7D MkII yet. Need to see how it performs with my use cases primarily geared to wildlife. I will not depart from Canon based on what they are doing with the glass. I love what I have and used and will keep using Canon glass as long as they are not overrun by what Sony offers. I had been an early adopter for the NEX-5/7, love my Fuji X100T and X-T3, but my Canon glasses is my key investment and I will stick to it until I see no end in sight from what Canon has to offer. Olympics 2020 is my horizon to make a decision.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
About 16 months ago I upgraded from a "very old" Rebel - 450D to 80D. I did it after long period of waiting. I did not want the huge body of 80D (yes, for me it is huge and heavy even if many CR members will disagree), but I wanted either a Canon body with a newer APS-C sensor and AF micro adjustments or a mirrorless APS-C body (any brand) with IBIS. After the release of 77D (crippled, without AF MA) I was considering all reasonable options (actually only three) and ended up with a second hand 80D.

I'm curious about your description of "crippled" when the 77D is clearly a lower market camera. Was your 450D "crippled" because it didn't have the same features as the 40D, or the 5D?

Upvote 0
30 years with Canon and I have decided to sell all my Canon gear and move over to Sony. I gave Canon time to come up with a professional mirrorless camera and they have failed. These cameras coming out are not of professonal grade. To me these are travel cameras. A professional grade camera is one that is also weather sealed and a camera can take a beating of daily use. Two card slots and a camera and that shoot a great number of shots in the silent mode before the buffer kicks in and a camera is is able to use all my Canon lenses.
Who said these cameras are professional cameras? Besides you... :))

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
30 years with Canon and I have decided to sell all my Canon gear and move over to Sony. I gave Canon time to come up with a professional mirrorless camera and they have failed. These cameras coming out are not of professonal grade. To me these are travel cameras. A professional grade camera is one that is also weather sealed and a camera can take a beating of daily use. Two card slots and a camera and that shoot a great number of shots in the silent mode before the buffer kicks in and a camera is is able to use all my Canon lenses.

be sure to link to your items for sale so that other Canon users can pick up great hardware on the cheap!
Good luck with Sony. Hope your hands are small and you don't have any sort of arthritis, oh and watch out for knuckle skin issues when using the A7 line with large lenses.

Upvote 0
I would never pre-order any camera sight unseen and I'd take the M5 II over the M6 II anyday. But Canon really has to deliver this time, so until we see DR, full video specs, EVF resolution and refresh, lag, etc there is no chance. Also I'm not really wanting to go down the EF-M route, I wish we were reading about APS-C RF mount cameras instead.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
I'm curious about your description of "crippled" when the 77D is clearly a lower market camera. Was your 450D "crippled" because it didn't have the same features as the 40D, or the 5D?

I hoped, based on the rumors preceding the release of 77D, that it would not be "lower market" (also because it was an XXD, not XXXD). I.e. that Canon finally understood that there are people waiting for a camera as capable as 80D, but in a smaller and lighter body that still takes EF/EF-S lenses without the hassle of adaptors. And that those customers are willing to pay the same price, or even more (if they managed to put really all the functionality to the smaller/lighter body). Or in other words, I hoped that Canon has found enough customers like me, who wait for years (literally, for years) to get a small enough camera that has all those features of 80D which do not demand the huge (for me) and heavy body.

Of course I understand that the smaller/lighter body puts some technical limitations that cannot be overcome. So with smaller/lighter body it is ok to have it all plastic, which probably implies less weather sealing, pentamirror instead of pentaprism and smaller battery and therefore slower maximum FPS. But that should be all the difference. It should be the same level of capabilities.

But when they left out AF MA from 77D (and maybe also a few other things that were not that important to me), I understood that they did not understand (or their market research did not indicate enough customers like me). They still go on with the (for me totally incorrect) idea that all the customers that want more functionality also automatically want a bigger/heavier/sturdier camera body.
So after several years, I stopped waiting and bought the suboptimal (for me, but actually only in size/weight and lack of IBIS) 80D. So that while waiting for a better fit to my needs I have at least a decently capable camera to take pictures with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019
I was waiting for a 32 MP, No AA filter with min 14 stop DR , Mag body with joystick, dual card, 12 FPS, uncropped 4k, with 1dxmk2 focus system for like 2500 USD APSC for bird shooting but I think it never gonna happen.
Unfortunately, we don’t know the specs of the af system apart from 45 cross type af points. If this is simply an 80d af system, it’s no deal.

Upvote 0
Apparently it is a good and logical evolution of the 80D, but it is not a replacement for the 7D II, and it is logical, it is only a 90D. I have both 7D II and 80D cameras, and 80D is of little use for what I do. An uncertain future for 7D shooters, but hopefully Canon will cover that niche with some good camera, I hope they won't take forever. I will not buy this 90D, I have quite disappointed the 80D and I know that Canon is a leader in sales and makes cameras that think they will sell better than others, it is simply not for me in this case

Upvote 0
Looks I'm late to this feast. 4 pages of thoughts about preordering of unannounced cameras!

Anyway, probably nobody cares, but I'm not preordering any of those cameras. Not interested in 90D but may be interested in M6II as a secondary landscape camera, to use with an EF adapter. I don't care about the viewfinder for landscapes and I don't care about ergonomics. It'll be on a tripod anyway.

Weight is important for hiking, 32Mp for a crop sensor sounds very cool, but most important thing for me is the dynamic range of the sensor.
With A7RIV, Sony was showing off its 15-stop DR from the beginning. Canon keeps silent. Well they haven't announced it yet but there's nothing about the sensor qualities and DR in the leaked promo videos. So I'll be waiting for the reviews and DR measurements from DxO and photonstophotos, to compare with 5DIV.

Upvote 0