New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R [CR1]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Dear Canon,
Few ideas for firmware update from an actual user who has EOS R on active use since day 3 from release.
1)
Please please change the distance when proximity sensor switches from back screen to EVF. Currently it is way to sensitive.
Please set it to ~3-4mm from EVF. And also please make it to switch way faster. Its sometimes laggy. Because ofter sensor is trigered by neckstrap, hand movement etc.
2)
Its not a popular demand, but with canon flash used why such a slow frame rate? This could be improved greatly.
3) Please change direction when turning wheel to switch between Av Tv M and other modes. Current direction when turning wheel seems kinda unlogical and I cannot get to it. Otherwise around would be way better.
4)Please - close shutter when lens is removed not only when camera is turned off.
5) Close shutter way faster when camera is turned off. It seems that function to close shutter is last in turn off sequence.
I can manage to switch to turn off camera and change lenses before shutter comes down to protect sensor. Sometimes if find myself to wait for few seconds before shutter closes and then change lenses.
6)I dont have any lenses with IS, but friends who have complain that IS is always on - therefore battery is used a lot more. This could be software fix.
7) Why it is not possible to read lens info from FD lenses?
8) Intervalometer

Rest of wishes here on forum are to improve Auto focus. Yes - that would be great, but that makes small part of improvements you could make for thoes who really use the camera and would improve a lot.

My complaint about auto focus even does not make TOP8 of issues you could fix to make this camera waaaaaay better.

Thanks
Janis

FD lenses have no data so the camera cannot read the info. A better suggestion would be to be able to enter in FD, FL and R lens data in a memory bank that could be selected from easily for those lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
One more feature that might be good - if face detect is used and there are more than one face in frame, i could select to focus between faces in frame. I think AF automatically selects nearest face, but sometimes could be usefull to change.
You can choose in One Shot, and in servo you have a starting AF point and it will track the face you lock on to.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Dear Canon,
Few ideas for firmware update from an actual user who has EOS R on active use since day 3 from release.
If you want Canon to know what you'd like, you should write to Canon. Canon doesn't run or moderate this forum.
3) Please change direction when turning wheel to switch between Av Tv M and other modes. Current direction when turning wheel seems kinda unlogical and I cannot get to it. Otherwise around would be way better.
As an "actual user", you know the wheel can be turned in either direction.
5) Close shutter way faster when camera is turned off. It seems that function to close shutter is last in turn off sequence.
I can manage to switch to turn off camera and change lenses before shutter comes down to protect sensor. Sometimes if find myself to wait for few seconds before shutter closes and then change lenses.
You should send your camera in for service. Mine never takes a few seconds to close. Ever. It always closes in 2 seconds or less, tops.
7) Why it is not possible to read lens info from FD lenses?
OMG :sleep:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I can’t understand this one?

When turning the wheel to the right, the selector goes right on screen, isn’t that pretty logical? What am I missing?

And usually I just touch the desired mode.
You were lucky enough to be born with a thumb that works in both directions. :p

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
FD lenses have no data so the camera cannot read the info. A better suggestion would be to be able to enter in FD, FL and R lens data in a memory bank that could be selected from easily for those lenses.
I don't see what the RP/R cameras need to know from any MF adapted lens. The apertures are manual, the focus is manual, and the camera does the metering. The only thing one changes in camera is shutter speed. The only possibility that I can think of, and I only know this from my Olympus, is to enter focal length for IBIS to calculate what it needs to know to function properly. The RP nor the R have IBIS. I have 40+ M42 screw mount prime lenses. They all worked fine on my 5D mark III and also on my R. It is much more efficient to just enter focal length on an IBIS equipped camera than entering the focal length info for every single lens and then selecting what lens one is using from some sort of drop down menu (Not that I would be against that, but that is really all the IBIS cameras need to know... focal length). That's just my personal experience from having used MF lenses with no electronic communications very extensively on digital cameras. I would imagine (hope) that when Canon releases an IBIS equipped camera that focal length for non-electronic MF lenses will also have to be entered.

Upvote 0
Yes, why is that you can not read the digital data from a pre-digital lens?

Your points were reasonable, but This one isn’t going to happen
Yeah - i found that out next morning when woke up and read what I have written. :D:D But it would be nice if I could program what manual lenses I have. Then once attached I could select from menu. Only reason this could do good is when I want to do some statistics in Lightroom.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yeah - i found that out next morning when woke up and read what I have written. :D:D But it would be nice if I could program what manual lenses I have. Then once attached I could select from menu. Only reason this could do good is when I want to do some statistics in Lightroom.

Magic Lantern has such a feature, but the R is still a few years away from being supported by that.

I would love such a feature, it would save a lot of time compared to using the LR lenstagger plugin.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Magic Lantern has such a feature, but the R is still a few years away from being supported by that.

I would love such a feature, it would save a lot of time compared to using the LR lenstagger plugin.
It's heartening to see a person who has had a small mental lapse on a technically not get hammered. It's a good personal reminder not to behave in a condescending manner any time I might reply and it makes CR a more friendly place for all of us.(y)

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Things that needs to be addressed at EOS R IMHO:
1. changing from manual iso to auto iso - when changing manual iso settings via touch bar or control ring it is possible to choose all ISO values, however auto iso is not selectable. to set it you need to wait ~2-3sec and than it is selectable, which is quite annoying.
2. if lens control ring is set to change iso values than changing direction is not possible clockwise is always decreasing iso values.
3. time-lapse movie interval is set to minimum of 2 seconds, would be nice to have it smaller, at least 1 second should be possible without the need to change anything in the interface.
4. would be nice to have c-log also in time-lapse movie mode, same as above.
5. interval timer should be added, why do we have it on EOS RP and not here?
6. canon 90d has support for 120P with digic 8 processor, why do we not have it with EOS R?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
6. canon 90d has support for 120P with digic 8 processor, why do we not have it with EOS R?
Probably because the processor has a lot more to deal with in a mirrorless camera. Sending the image up to the EVF, and doing all of the computing related to autofocusing straight from the dual pixel image sensor for example.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Probably because the processor has a lot more to deal with in a mirrorless camera. Sending the image up to the EVF, and doing all of the computing related to autofocusing straight from the dual pixel image sensor for example.

More likely that the sensor in the R and RP isn't fast enough.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't see what the RP/R cameras need to know from any MF adapted lens. The apertures are manual, the focus is manual, and the camera does the metering. The only thing one changes in camera is shutter speed. The only possibility that I can think of, and I only know this from my Olympus, is to enter focal length for IBIS to calculate what it needs to know to function properly. The RP nor the R have IBIS. I have 40+ M42 screw mount prime lenses. They all worked fine on my 5D mark III and also on my R. It is much more efficient to just enter focal length on an IBIS equipped camera than entering the focal length info for every single lens and then selecting what lens one is using from some sort of drop down menu (Not that I would be against that, but that is really all the IBIS cameras need to know... focal length). That's just my personal experience from having used MF lenses with no electronic communications very extensively on digital cameras. I would imagine (hope) that when Canon releases an IBIS equipped camera that focal length for non-electronic MF lenses will also have to be entered.
Yet, what could be helpful, since like you I'm using (with great pleasure!) vintage lenses, are the "focusing arrows".
They work with EF lenses set on manual, but unfortunately not with vintage lenses.Maybe I should start using Dandelion-chip fitted adapters...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yet, what could be helpful, since like you I'm using (with great pleasure!) vintage lenses, are the "focusing arrows".
They work with EF lenses set on manual, but unfortunately not with vintage lenses.Maybe I should start using Dandelion-chip fitted adapters...
I used the dandelion chipped adapters. They work pretty well, until the chips just fall off. The chips are glued to the slick adapter. There is no "grab" for the glue. Those chips also have to be programmed for the lens they are used on. Almost like AFMA. Tedious. That is one huge reason, besides the RF lenses, for my peaking the R over the 5D Mark IV. The focus peaking works well on the R. Too me, it is better than the dandelion chips and far less cumbersome. Have you tried the focus peaking with your manual focus lenses?

I got my wife a micro 4/3 Olympus. I had heard about focus peaking and tried it with my lenses. It worked well, but the 2X crop is horrible. A 35mm focal length looks like 70mm, etc. So wide angle is just about out of the question. So when Canon came out with the R, I decided to give it a try. Pretty darn good and no crop factor. :)

Upvote 0