Specifications and pricing for the Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS and Canon RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
“BeCuZ ThE R iSnT a PrO BoDY”....:ROFLMAO:
True. Neither is the RF 85mm f/1.2L. But the 6D is. The 7D is, but not the 7D Mark II. There are 30 non-L lenses including EF-s models listed. I won't even go into the accessories. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Seems Canon needs to work on that page. :)

Anyway, whether or not it is a pro camera depends entirely on who is using it. That's my opinion. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
Fixed the link. You were right.

No, we are talking about the page that tells you which products qualify. The link takes you to the page with the different levels of CPS, scroll down to "Qualifying Products" and a drop down comes up telling the point value for each piece. The R isn't there. Neither is the RF 85mm f/1.2L.

I had no problems registering EOS R on CPS.
Capture.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Not bad considering the brand new designs and IS. A pro can easily justify the price in the context of business.
After the initial rush I think we can see some decent incentives for the rest of us looking forward to this lens.
What I want today is the RF 70-200 f2.8.;)

It depends on the genre the pro is working in. As a UK Self employed Wedding photographer...the margins are really tight. I would have my camera bodies (3) on a 4 year replacement cycle, each year I buy one camera body (within a specified price point) and I retire the oldest camera. I buy them before the beginning of the season, not during. The camera is a tool not a life enhancement toy...so it's a business purchase and I'm really not fussed if I'm buying last year's model. Each camera needs "price to features" consideration. Lens wise, I buy one lens per year and are on a 10 year re-fresh. I never buy "new to the market" lenses...I wait until the initial rush is over so the price settles. I tend to run the trinity of f2.8 zooms and a complement of fast Primes too, plus macro and fisheye options.
I know very few wedding Togs' who can afford a direct fire sale and system swap / change up / change out. Currently...my gear services all of my photographic needs very very well and it's proven thing for me.

The Wildlife guys I know...already have their big whites and they look on the EOS R as a nice toy...But they need a 5D4 or 1DXII...these guys have not issue in buying a £4K Schatler fluid head and video tripod...specific gear is important. The sports guys tend to fall in a similar category.

Landscapers are generally looking to see how the features and pricing settles and the run and gun portrait photographers tend to really like the new EOS R and lenses...but that's because a lot of the new lenses are specifically for them!

If a new Pro oriented RF camera body comes along...great...but not at the initial premium pricing. So for me, the RF mount is on the distant but inevitable horizon. But it's likely 2 years away for me and I need to carefully integrate a new camera into my existing workflow and capabilities...and lets face it the 5D3/4 are amazing cameras. Big shoes to fill and all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
A lot of people on this forum like to trash the Sony 16-35 GM, but it’s a better lens than the EF counterpart, early QC variations aside. It’s literally Sony’s best made zoom, and one of the top 2-3 lenses they make period.

In terms of the optical design it is indeed very good. It's hard to say it's better than the EF III - it is smaller and lighter and about the same sharpness though the GM has much less vignetting. But lenses wider than 24mm is the area we have seen some benefits to a short flange distance.

But without question it's one of the better GM lenses. However Roger at Lensrentals who sees and tests thousands of lenses and repairs them had to conclude that if one wants a 16-35 GM that is useable at the longer end one would have to test several copies to find that one. I've not seen anything to change that opinion and indeed the same guy has long been adamant that the "later batches improve" theory has no evidence.

I have dabbled with Sony - drove myself mad trying to find a 35/1.4 that was acceptable given its price. There's no question they have some great lens designers, I believe quite a few came over from Nikon. However they still seem to be building even top lenses as if they are consumer electronics - "good enough" quality control and also rarely building it in such a way that allows easy repairs and adjustment later.

In many respects that is the way the whole industry is going. Nikon too has started down that line in terms of repairs and adjustment.

But Canon does remain better and when it comes to things like quality control, build quality, service etc the 16-35L III will be in another league from the GM.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
I love my 5D4 and don't have plans for a mirrorless for years.

Do someone think there's a chance that Cannon makes a EF 24-70 2.8L with Image Stabilization??

I'm waiting since so long...

When Nikon brought out the 24-70 VR and given Sigma and Tamron have similar lenses I thought Canon would respond in EF mount but now I really am not sure.

I actually think Canon is serious that they will keep EF and RF mount going - both have different uses and the EF mount will be better in terms of balance for super telephotos etc.

Having said that I think an EF 24-70 2.8 L IS might be both bigger and risk being optically worse and I don't see Canon taking a backwards step. I think it's easy to forget just what an achievement the EF 24-70 2.8L II is - even after all these years it remains in terms of pure optical quality the best 24-70 2.8 anyone has ever built. Even the new Nikon Z 24-70 isn't quite as sharp (though controls flare better). The Sony GM 24-70 is a very sharp lens but actually bigger than the EF L. The Nikon 24-70 VR is enormous and a lot of reviewers seem to believe the optics got compromised (other disagree).

My point is that the 24-70 2.8 L II was an amazing design, a giant step forward, and is probably right on the limits of what is possible. To assume they can just stuff an IS unit in is perhaps mistaken.

Another example would be the Nikon 14-24 - again a lens design that set new standards. All these years later the only model that is stabilised to compete stops at 15mm. When Sigma went head to head with a 14-24 it ended up, despite all the years of tech improvement, very similar size and output. Nikon got it right that time and there doesn't appear, in SLR mounts, much further to go. I suspect the 24-70 2.8 L II might be in the same category.

Although I have doubts that it will happen perhaps one day canon will put IBIS in their SLR bodies.Sooner or later they might decide the technology is good and stable enough and indeed eventually more megapixels, more dynamic range etc etc will no longer sell bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
It depends on the genre the pro is working in. As a UK Self employed Wedding photographer...the margins are really tight. I would have my camera bodies (3) on a 4 year replacement cycle, each year I buy one camera body (within a specified price point) and I retire the oldest camera. I buy them before the beginning of the season, not during. The camera is a tool not a life enhancement toy...so it's a business purchase and I'm really not fussed if I'm buying last year's model. Each camera needs "price to features" consideration. Lens wise, I buy one lens per year and are on a 10 year re-fresh. I never buy "new to the market" lenses...I wait until the initial rush is over so the price settles. I tend to run the trinity of f2.8 zooms and a complement of fast Primes too, plus macro and fisheye options.
I know very few wedding Togs' who can afford a direct fire sale and system swap / change up / change out. Currently...my gear services all of my photographic needs very very well and it's proven thing for me.

The Wildlife guys I know...already have their big whites and they look on the EOS R as a nice toy...But they need a 5D4 or 1DXII...these guys have not issue in buying a £4K Schatler fluid head and video tripod...specific gear is important. The sports guys tend to fall in a similar category.

Landscapers are generally looking to see how the features and pricing settles and the run and gun portrait photographers tend to really like the new EOS R and lenses...but that's because a lot of the new lenses are specifically for them!

If a new Pro oriented RF camera body comes along...great...but not at the initial premium pricing. So for me, the RF mount is on the distant but inevitable horizon. But it's likely 2 years away for me and I need to carefully integrate a new camera into my existing workflow and capabilities...and lets face it the 5D3/4 are amazing cameras. Big shoes to fill and all that.

Interesting perspective, thanks for writing it. I am not a professional but I am often bemused by the posts on here that seem based on the idea that professionals have unlimited money and will splurge on the new stuff that is an unknown quantity. I know a few professionals and one who is very successful is extremely conservative with gear and still uses two 5D IIIs - for him it's not just wanting to not spend money needlessly but also not taking risks when he has gear that he knows inside and out. I've been guilty of chasing newer technology and he often tells me he would be happy to have a camera with less dynamic range as most people like contrasty photos at weddings!

I think both Nikon and Canon have figured out what you wrote though. And Sony certainly did. Which is why the R is a 5DIV sensor in a body more like a 6D (and in Nikon land the Z7 is a D850 sensor in a D750 like body) - ie aiming them at wealthy prosumers who care more about image quality than build quality. It seems a sensible approach.

Upvote 0
Hmm, do I trade my EF24-70F2.8L MKII in for the RF24-70 or perhaps both EF24-70 & 17-40 for the RF15-35 (as I've been quite impressed with the RF24-105) ??

Ideally I'd like both but think I'll wait for the reviews before doing anything yet as performance will be the important deciding factor. the 15-35 is a lot heavier than my 17-40 and not sure if F2.8 & IS is that important to me. I suspect the UK prices will be more too assuming the US prices don't include sales tax ??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting perspective, thanks for writing it. I am not a professional but I am often bemused by the posts on here that seem based on the idea that professionals have unlimited money and will splurge on the new stuff that is an unknown quantity. I know a few professionals and one who is very successful is extremely conservative with gear and still uses two 5D IIIs - for him it's not just wanting to not spend money needlessly but also not taking risks when he has gear that he knows inside and out. I've been guilty of chasing newer technology and he often tells me he would be happy to have a camera with less dynamic range as most people like contrasty photos at weddings!

I think both Nikon and Canon have figured out what you wrote though. And Sony certainly did. Which is why the R is a 5DIV sensor in a body more like a 6D (and in Nikon land the Z7 is a D850 sensor in a D750 like body) - ie aiming them at wealthy prosumers who care more about image quality than build quality. It seems a sensible approach.

Yep I've been rocking a pair of 5DIII's for quite a few years. I slowed down my wedding work due to personal circumstances...so my gear budget took a hit too. As much as I'd like a mk4 (and it's a great upgrade) it's not particularly high on my "to do" list.

I think Canon has been very wise with the Eos R and Rp...it's not the camera anyone wants. But it's new...exciting...and it's got all those lovely posh lenses that no one can afford. When the next camera is launched with more pro features...it'll be over priced and over specced...again...not quite the camera every one wanted. Most people want a Mk4 EOS R variant. So a lot of photographers will buy both because neither quite scratches that itch. Once the Pro model is launched, I can see the S/H market price for the Eos R and Rp dropping like a brick as soon as a Pro orientated body is available.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
Hmmmm.... not what I am seeing here. Maybe I have a virus? :ROFLMAO: That's an awful lot of points for any camera. Where are you?

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

No, you don't understand, "real" pros can't wait to replace their gear... They need to replace everything (lenses and bodies) NOW or they won't be able to do their jobs. Better to sell everything and move to a new system than wait to see what happens in their current ecosystem.

All the EF lenses and bodies ceased to work once mirrorless came out, and these guys are losing money every day until they buy better dynamic range.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
True. Neither is the RF 85mm f/1.2L. But the 6D is. The 7D is, but not the 7D Mark II. There are 30 non-L lenses including EF-s models listed. I won't even go into the accessories. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Seems Canon needs to work on that page. :)

Anyway, whether or not it is a pro camera depends entirely on who is using it. That's my opinion. ;)
The difference is you can register your gear in the CPS portal, and you guys in the US have a point system, we don't have that in Canada. But you can only have CPS Prices on top lens like L-Series and pro body. It doesn't make any sense that We don't have CPS prices for the RF L series lens! I have contacted Canon CPS Canada I'm supposed to have a call back from a rep over there to try and clarify this. the 85 1.2 and the @8-70 F2 are over 3K in Canada, I sure hope they get there ducks in a row and we can get CPS prices for those!

• Sad
Upvote 0