You can now download the manual for the brand new Canon EOS 90D

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has made the manual for the soon-to-ship Canon EOS 90D available for download.
Download the Canon EOS 90D manual here.
Key Features

32.5MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
DIGIC 8 Image Processor
UHD 4K30p & Full HD 120p Video Recording
3″ 1.04m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
45-Point All Cross-Type AF System
Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 5481 AF Points
Up to 10-fps Shooting, ISO 100-25600
Built-In Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
EOS iTR AF, Electronic Shutter Function
220,000-Pixel AE Metering Sensor

Preorder the Canon EOS 90D:

Canon EOS 90D Body $1199
Canon EOS 90D w/18-55mm IS STM $1349
Canon EOS 90D w/18-135mm IS STM $1599

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The builtin flash popup is now fully mechanical and the flash can’t be raised programmatically. An unexpected change that’s made more annoying by the fact that the flash button no longer doubles as a shortcut to the flash menu which was a very convenient feature in the 80D.

There’s focus peaking in Live View. I suspect the 90D and M6 II firmwares are largely identical, obviously excepting features depending on hardware unique to either body.

Focus bracketing is there, but may only be supported by specific lenses.

The panning mode is interesting, and there are a handful of lenses which support sort of extra panning assist.

The electronic shutter mode does not support continuous shooting, which is likely to frustrate some people.

The electronic level is still just single-axis, which is a shame. If the 6D2 and the RP have a dual-axis level, the 90D deserves it as well.

There are still only two f/8 lens+extender combos that support AF points other than the center one. Though it’s not like I could afford any of them anyway.

Some buttons can be assigned more functions than on the 80D (eg. One-Shot/Servo AF toggle to the * button), but not on the level of Canon’s higher-end bodies.

The manual is silent on any IQ differences regarding cropped vs. uncropped 4K, only describing it as a way to get a bit more reach. But the crop factor is so small that there’s obviously some technical reason behind it. My theory is the camera records 6K and downsamples to 4K, which is in line with the better IQ that some Canon reps apparently mentioned in Atlanta.

There's no longer movie digital zoom. On that note, would have been nice if they had kept 3840x2160 center crop recording as an option.

There's clean 8- or 10-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Why cant we get a straight story on this? Does the camera have ALL-i or not? (See red squares below) I can live with 1080p 25fps in ALL-I. The spec sheet only references IPB...

Apples and oranges. Time-lapse movies are recorded in ALL-I, which makes sense. Normal videos are IPB.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Apples and oranges. Time-lapse movies are recorded in ALL-I, which makes sense. Normal videos are IPB.

Thank you my mistake. I kept following the breadcrumbs to that point and didn't realize I had switched over into the time-lapse section.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
There's so much that I like about the 90D, but then there's stuff that just leaves me frustrated.

I am happy to see more frame rates than JUST 1920x1080@120FPS for HD are available to choose from. Was slightly concerned about that.

Would like to see some samples of cropped vs. uncropped UHD with a variety of lenses to see what the image quality looks like. I would 100% assume uncropped is still a 1.6x crop factor based on APS-C and do wonder what approximately the cropped version would be around for equivalent.

Seriously though, if the 5D4 could record UHD/4K in MP4 or any other non-JPEG format (cropped or full frame) I would probably purchase another one or two for immediate use. Really hope Canon is listening to that. The 5D5 or R/RF version replacement is probably what I'll have to hold out for. If the R/RF version of the 5DS has even close to video specs like this, I may actually pre-order a camera for the first time ever.

Upvote 0
There's so much that I like about the 90D, but then there's stuff that just leaves me frustrated.

I am happy to see more frame rates than JUST 1920x1080@120FPS for HD are available to choose from. Was slightly concerned about that.

Would like to see some samples of cropped vs. uncropped UHD with a variety of lenses to see what the image quality looks like. I would 100% assume uncropped is still a 1.6x crop factor based on APS-C and do wonder what approximately the cropped version would be around for equivalent.

Seriously though, if the 5D4 could record UHD/4K in MP4 or any other non-JPEG format (cropped or full frame) I would probably purchase another one or two for immediate use. Really hope Canon is listening to that. The 5D5 or R/RF version replacement is probably what I'll have to hold out for. If the R/RF version of the 5DS has even close to video specs like this, I may actually pre-order a camera for the first time ever.

I think it is safe to assume that the uncropped UHD is going to be ugly with moire and the cropped will look quite a bit better.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The manual is silent on any IQ differences regarding cropped vs. uncropped 4K, only describing it as a way to get a bit more reach. But the crop factor is so small that there’s obviously some technical reason behind it. My theory is the camera records 6K and downsamples to 4K, which is in line with the better IQ that some Canon reps apparently mentioned in Atlanta.

Where did you find the crop factor for cropped 4k? I didn't see it skimming the manual.

My opinion of the 90D's video capabilities would go up if cropped 4k was indeed 6k-to-4k. That still, unfortunately, leaves the (hot button) 24p issue.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Seen somewere uncropped 4k is 2:2 line binning which makes it 2.8k to 4k. If it was 6k to 4k it would certainly have been advertised in big letters.

Yes, but how is the cropped mode processed?

Uncropped involves more than 6k-to-4k because the sensor is 32.5mp. So it kind of makes sense they would bin that. I don't feel like trying to estimate from the videos above right now, but if the cropped 4k mode is from the center 6k of the sensor then perhaps they are doing 6k-to-4k when in cropped mode. That would be an understandable situation given that this is a 32.5mp sensor, not a 24mp one.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The manual is quite confusing and it is missing information about Lens compatibility and no of AF points selectable with lenses.

It’s in the Supplemental Information booklet, a separate download. Not sure why they couldn’t just have the extra 20 pages as an appendix.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Just reading the 90D Manual and one thing I’ve not seen mentioned anywhere is if you use SDXC cards with a 90D it formats them as exFat and the 4GB video clip limit is removed. Nice. That’s incredibly useful.

Can you confirm it has clean 10bit HDMI out in the manual?

Geh, can’t find it in the manual after all. But Canon US spec sheet says so. Hopefully it’s not just an editorial mistake.

7075D4AE-050B-4643-95CB-64A95510C770.jpeg

Upvote 0