Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

It doesn't bother you that only R lenses can use "High Speed Display" to smooth tracking in the EVF? The option is grayed out when an EF lens is attached. What kind of shooting are you doing with your R?

I see this as a limitation of the R body, not the adapter or the lens. I have no doubt that if/when the put out the sports body, the EF long glass will work very well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I'm a hobbyist photographer

I have a 5D mark 4 and a whole slew of EF lenses : just about everything I could ever want.

I was initially really excited about moving to Mirrorless : mainly because it offered the chance to see my exposure (and depth of field ?) up front whilst adding image stabilization to my primes which would improve image quality when shooting family shots handheld indoors.

Initially, the main thing making me wait was that I wouldn't dream of moving until the EVF image was practically as good in terms of both resolution and latency as an OVF.

It appears we have now got to that point with the new generation of 5MP viewfinders.

So now I'm asking myself : should I jump to a Sony A7R4 and use my lenses with an adaptor ?

And every time I think about a Sony I come to the same conclusion : do I really want that tiny body to support my big heavy white lenses : won't it be too painful on my hands and wrists ? And, do I really want to spend £3,500 for the privilege of a horrendously uncomfortable grip ?

And so I wait, and wait.

I try to remind myself that "delayed gratification" is good for my soul ...

And, if I can really wait long enough - like until about 2023 ... then it will probably be very good for my pocket too .. as it will probably be a couple of years after the first "mirrorless 5D" that the prices drop.

So, that's what I'm going to do, and I can't help thinking there must be lots more like me out there ...

Come on Canon !

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Take your time Canon and get it right. The R is an excellent camera and a fine companion to the 5D. In the meantime, give people the high resolution version for those who want that. Give us the 1DxIII with better autofocus and slightly more resolution.

Decide what you want to do about the 7D user base (migrate to a RF mount or give them the DSLR they really want). The longer it takes, the better it all will be and the more time my wallet has to recover.
Yes Canon. Fiddle while your market burns.

• Haha
Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
New member here, first post, and trying to catch up with all these rumors...
So I just read this rumor about the pro "1DX like" EOS R body wouldn't be available before 2021 and that made me think... Could it be because there will be another body that will come up in 2020, before the 1DX equivalent? Like a "5D Mark IV" equivalent with a better sensor and better video possibilities? The EOS R body that came up one year ago is like a 6D Mk II's equivalent in mirrorless, but with a 5D Mark IV sensor... Maybe Canon's strategy is to develop a more versatile camera that can be used by pros, before coming up with a 1DX equivalent flagship for mirrorless? Does this make sense at all?

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
So I just read this rumor about the pro "1DX like" EOS R body wouldn't be available before 2021 and that made me think... Could it be because there will be another body that will come up in 2020, before the 1DX equivalent? Like a "5D Mark IV" equivalent with a better sensor and better video possibilities? The EOS R body that came up one year ago is like a 6D Mk II's equivalent in mirrorless, but with a 5D Mark IV sensor... Maybe Canon's strategy is to develop a more versatile camera that can be used by pros, before coming up with a 1DX equivalent flagship for mirrorless? Does this make sense at all?
Welcome! And yes, it does make sense. Rumor has it that a high-resolution R body is next to be announced...something like a 5Ds equivalent.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes Canon. Fiddle while your market burns.
Market is the first part of marketshare.

Also a side note, Nero never played the fiddle during the fire and he paid for redev out of his own pocket thereafter. True, it depends whom you ask, Pliny the Elder or Tacitus.....

Still, Canon won't be changing their style because a few kids on a camera forum. Oh and dslr's? Not going anywhere soon. ML still suck too much, lol. Maybe one day they will be be on an even playing field. That would be sweet. I give it about until 2026.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I'm not really a wildlife shooter, unless you consider linebackers wildlife. But, I recently bought an EF 400mm f/2.8 and used it shooting theater on both my 1DXii and my R, and also took it to the zoo with my R attached for some "wildlife" shooting. I did not notice any issues with focussing whatsoever. Any limitations I have sensed with speed have been due to the limitations of the R body, not the adapter/lens. Having said that, I was extremely happy with my zoo pictures. Focus was amazing and detail on some birds was stellar.

I can't even imagine trying to shoot at 400mm inside a zoo... Half the time I try to use my 70-300 I keep finding that 70mm isn't wide enough for half the shots I want.

Upvote 0
I'm a wildlife shooter and recently invested in Canon's new 600mm mark III.
[...]
That said, the major drawback will be any loss of capability when using the adapter with the EF telephoto line. I can't imagine Canon would be releasing a full range of super telephoto RF glass by 2021. And if they do pull something like that off, they should've went toward that entire direction earlier rather than releasing recent EF updates to the 600mm and 400mm f/2.8 lenses...as well as an upcoming 1DX Mark III.
I shoot birds as a hobby. My experience with long EF lenses (both zoom and primes) on R body with adapter has been excellent and they work even better than native RF zoom lenses. The focus is fast and snappy. The EOS-R camera itself may not have fast frame rate yet but I expect the high frame rate version or pro version can remove this issue. Using long EF lenses on R body with adapter is the least to worry about.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
I'm very interested to see the new bodies Canon releases, mainly because I'm a geek...but I think (I hope) my perfect camera will be the R Mk II, whenever that comes about. I mainly want IBIS added. In the meantime, I'm still amazed by the R. Then again, this is coming from a guy who upgraded from a T3i...so, yeah. Haha...

I got ya beat.
I went from using a T2i bought new in 2010 to purchasing the Eos R November 2018.
Looked at the A7 III and could not stand its body size and feel.
Looked at the Nikon Z 6 and 7 and generally enjoyed they way they feel in the hand.

Ultimately it came down to staying with Canon and the vast array of EF lenses available on the secondary market.

While I wouldn't mind having 2 card slots, I have no interest in IBIS myself.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Wow! This is pretty crazy.

Until recently, I would have 100% agreed with you. But seeing Canon's financial statements this year, considering how the ILC industry as a whole is trying to find a significantly profitable direction, and feeling as if Canon is losing its commitment to the pro and prosumer customer base (admittedly due mostly to my impatience)...

More accurately, entirely due to your impatience. You can feel any way you want but there is zero objective evidence that Canon is losing its commitment to the professional and "prosumer" (whatever that is) base. If you want to look at facts, everything about Canon's imaging division strategy and public statements regarding the same shows that they are concentrating on the professional and enthusiast markets.

I am beginning to imagine a Canon that just spins off its EOS line to a Chinese or Indian company that would do who knows what with it.

You can imagine anything, including flying, rainbow colored unicorns. Actually, flying, rainbow colored unicorns are more likely than the scenario you are imagining.

Oh, yes, this is a huge LEAP of anxiety, but the release of the tepid R with spectacular lenses, the likely abandonment of any more EF innovation, and the slowing release schedule feed into it.

I'm going to ignore the silly use of "tepid" for now and if I have the strength and time, I'll address it in a subsequent post. But, let's unpack the rest of this statement. Canon has released spectacular RF lenses, they have a mature lens line that they have publicly committed to continuing to support and, at the enthusiast and professional level they are releasing new DSLR bodies at roughly the same pace they have historically followed, while also releasing new mirrorless bodies, all of this in a market that is contracting and you somehow define this as a "slowing" release schedule that you take as evidence that they are less committed to the most profitable sector of the photography market.

And for those who dependably, furiously respond with great derision and indignation, please, remember...This is a RUMORS site! ;)

What exactly does this being a RUMORS site have to do with your comments? Perhaps you are equating rumors with opinions? And, yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if you are going to put out silly opinions mixed with paranoid, unfounded fears, you can expect people will respond with great derision.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Maybe I am reading the Interim Report all wrong, but it seems that Canon sees the digital camera market as a loser and intends to invest their time and energy in other parts of their business.
You are reading it wrong.

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Personally, I feel if they plan to launch the 1DX ii replacement next year, then it's logical that they would wait a year before trying to pitch a mirrorless version of it to essentially the same audience / buyers. The plan must be to hope that a 1dX iii buyer will also buy the mirrorless version a year later as a back up body and a toe in to the mirrorless world....

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I got ya beat.
I went from using a T2i bought new in 2010 to purchasing the Eos R November 2018.
Looked at the A7 III and could not stand its body size and feel.
Looked at the Nikon Z 6 and 7 and generally enjoyed they way they feel in the hand.

Ultimately it came down to staying with Canon and the vast array of EF lenses available on the secondary market.

While I wouldn't mind having 2 card slots, I have no interest in IBIS myself.
Nice! But...it looks like you also have an 80D and a 1D Mk IV?

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
question for the group as a whole...you ever go into a long standing brick and mortar camera store, one that deals alot in Canon gear, and strike up a conversation with a sales person? Establish a purchasing relationship with that sales rep and then ask them what their Canon rep's are telling them about what is coming down the pike?

Sometimes some good info is learned.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Nice! But...it looks like you also have an 80D and a 1D Mk IV?

I do, both purchased within the last few months.
I bought the 1d mkiv in May-2019 and the 80d in July 2019

We have a fantastic brick and mortar store nearby and they have a used section.
the 1d mk4 had 14k clicks on it and it looked like it was nearly factory fresh.

Previous to taking up Photography as a full time hobby, I had the T2i that my wife bought me as a wedding present.
That thing racked up alot of air miles from her dragging me around the planet. fast forward to last November, i was itching to get a new camera. Thus the Eos R was purchased over the Sony and Nikon offerings. The 1d iv and the 80d were spur of the moment purchases very recently due to their condition and super low cost. :)

Someone asked me once why I bought the Eos R over the Sony and Nikon offerings.
To me it was simple. That T2i had logged soo many clicks, was dragged around the planet to all sorts of temperature and humidity extremes, and in the 8 plus years I used it, I never had a single issue with it. My daughter has it now and uses it alot as well.

That told me that Canon makes cameras that lasts and can take some everyday abuse, even their entry level consumer camera's like that T2i was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0