Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects...

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Not exactly the most beautiful creature or the best shot, but what an incredible creature! 204EDBCB-3055-4C16-BA5B-72DD9B097627.jpeg216E2003-5E7B-4D03-8A6B-1550D9AB0446.jpeg950B67DD-E5B8-4F8A-A53E-B30E25A15EBA.jpeg
I was wandering around Alverstone Mead (where I volunteer) behind a “walk behind” flail mower cutting access paths for maintenance parties when I spotted his huge thing hop out in front of the mower, I caught it and released it away from the path of the mower, it hopped straight back in front so I recaptured it and as it seemed reluctant to leave I thought I would get a couple of photos, then I relocated him well behind the mower!
I knew they could fly, but I had no idea just how poor flyers they are, a bit like a helicopter with engine failure, it’s going down and soon! :ROFLMAO:
I also had a Water Vole run from in front of the mower, but too quick for getting a shot! :(

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Folks.
Not exactly the most beautiful creature or the best shot, but what an incredible creature! View attachment 186432View attachment 186433View attachment 186434
I was wandering around Alverstone Mead (where I volunteer) behind a “walk behind” flail mower cutting access paths for maintenance parties when I spotted his huge thing hop out in front of the mower, I caught it and released it away from the path of the mower, it hopped straight back in front so I recaptured it and as it seemed reluctant to leave I thought I would get a couple of photos, then I relocated him well behind the mower!
I knew they could fly, but I had no idea just how poor flyers they are, a bit like a helicopter with engine failure, it’s going down and soon! :ROFLMAO:
I also had a Water Vole run from in front of the mower, but too quick for getting a shot! :(

Cheers, Graham.

I was wondering why did you handle grasshopper with gloves - till the explanation below:)! Nice shots.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
Thanks for the comment, I only handled it with gloves for the practicality of not taking off gloves, though I had to take one off to use my phone for the pics anyway.
Someone else I showed the shot to said it was just as well I kept my gloves on as these can give a fair bite, not sure I want to find out but I am always careful not to harm or antagonise a critter so that it won’t feel threatened and feel the need to be vicious! Anyway, could it be any worse than a goose (pet!) having hold of your hand, and I’m bloody certain it wouldn’t come close to the misery a horse fly causes!

Cheers, Graham.

I was wondering why did you handle grasshopper with gloves - till the explanation below:)! Nice shots.

Upvote 0