Patent: 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a patent that shows an 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon. If you scale up the new 32.5mp APS-C sensor to full-frame from the EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II, 83mp is what you’ll get.
Japan Patent: 2019-149607

20.75 MP sensor of 5575 x 3725 pixels in size
83.06MP sensor of 11150 x 7450 pixels in size

A large number of pixels of 4 columns × 4 rows (8 columns × 8 rows of focus detection pixels) shown in FIG . 2 are arranged on the surface to enable acquisition of a captured image (focus detection signal). In the first embodiment, the period P is 4 [mu] m, the number of pixels N in the lateral 5575 columns × vertical 3725 lines of pixels = about 20.75 million pixels, the column period P of the focus detection...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad to see this kind of technology, but I don't need to make wall-sized enlargements, nor see the bacteria in the pores of my subject, nor do I want to haul around a 300 pound tripod to keep cameral shake so small that even 83 mp is sharp (unless Canon comes out with the IBIS to be able to use this sort of hi-res sensor). I'm an outdoor photographer and shoot mostly hand-held. I get more excited by HDR than by hi-res. Still .... I'm a sucker for new tech, and I feel that old "I want the latest" urge.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Combined with the ridiculously sharp RF lenses, this should really give medium format cameras a run for their money, especially given that it's likely a much better general-purpose camera than any MF body. Will probably directly challenge Fuji's "mediumish-format" GFX 100 (which, remember, costs almost ten grand!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
as we wrote today in our update, it's not a simple matter of taking a Canon APS-C sensor and simply "scaling it" to full frame unless Canon has updated their full-frame fabrication equipment yet again. Right now with what we know, for Canon to do an 83MP full frame sensor would involve some creativity on their part.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
Combined with the ridiculously sharp RF lenses, this should really give medium format cameras a run for their money, especially given that it's likely a much better general-purpose camera than any MF body. Will probably directly challenge Fuji's "mediumish-format" GFX 100 (which, remember, costs almost ten grand!)
In terms of shallow depth of field, it can even outperform the Fuji GFX 100, given Canon’s significantly higher optical speed.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Well, I'm glad to see this kind of technology, but I don't need to make wall-sized enlargements, nor see the bacteria in the pores of my subject, nor do I want to haul around a 300 pound tripod to keep cameral shake so small that even 83 mp is sharp (unless Canon comes out with the IBIS to be able to use this sort of hi-res sensor). I'm an outdoor photographer and shoot mostly hand-held. I get more excited by HDR than by hi-res. Still .... I'm a sucker for new tech, and I feel that old "I want the latest" urge.
I personaly think its a nice upgrade. I do some weddings where I would love to have more options to crop. I also do landscapes where I like higher resolutions for big prints. Also our product shots could greatly benefit from a higher resolution where retouching and cutouts are way more exact :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
So how many pixels will the 1Dx2 replacement have? My guess is 20.75MP because low light capability is more important than more pixels to a professional sport shooter shooting indoors. Or maybe both 83.06MP and 20.75MP, with a multiple gain sensor to improve DR.

It would be wonderful to have a 1dx replacement with about 30 mp so it would be competitive with Sony’s offerings ( A9 ii is rumored to be in the 30 mp range).

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
but that camera has ibis and probably much better dynamic range. and of course more MP.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
but that camera has ibis and probably much better dynamic range. and of course more MP.
Rumours are Canon will have ibis next, dynamic range doesn’t make any difference to IQ and the difference between 80MP and 100MP is not that great.

I know which camera and lenses I’d prefer to shoot......

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Cameras are good, better, top, bottom or not so good, depending on our kind of photo....If you need resolution this will be awesome! From this point, we don´t know yet the usability of this sensor, if its going to appear on a mirrorless camera, or dslr....It could be the sucessor of 5Ds, it can appear in a mirrorless EOS R. Guess we need to wait for see. I don´t think DSLR market is dead, but do think it will be less "important" in the future, so at this time, I think it will make sense to make a 5dsII, but only Canon can answer to this and decide to go on DSLR or fully on mirrorless.

From my needs, despite is great to have such a huge MP sensor, I would love to see the new 1dxIII soon, or a 1dxIII equivalent in mirrorless.

If, and IF this sensor goes on a mirrorless really don´t know if i can see myself buying just because the huge number of pixels, that will increase the amount of data to cards, computer and external hard drives... 40/50 MP for me is kinda the limit...I even think 61mp from Sony A7rIV is too much, but this is for my needs. I prefer a fast and less noisy camera, than the amount of pixels. However....Pixels means resolution...its so nice to have a great resolution camera! I imagine to make a landscape photo with 83mp...:)

Happy to see Canon is developing....NowI just hope they can deliver this faster that the last rumors....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

We don't know whether the coming Canon body is going to have IBIS or not. The ~10% difference in linear resolution isn't exactly massive. Whether the extra stop in DR is worth the 3x price and inability to use potential existing EF lenses… well, I guess YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
A natural projection of the new 32.5 mpx 90D/M6 II sensor. If that sensor is as good as some are saying, then this will be a really nice body from Canon. They'll certainly have the top-notch glass for it.

Now, as for the 1-series, mirrorless or DSLR, I'm thinking that a new 30-32 mpx sensor will be coming out, a true update and step up from the already-good 5D4/R sensor, with an even better DR, an improvement at high ISO, full-frame 4K, and wickedly deep buffer.

I got scolded on another forum for suggesting it, but I think the next 7D will also come out at the same time as the new 1-series. Canon going full throttle with the sports cameras all at the same time.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I would imagine this would never be released without IBIS.

Upvote 0