Patent: 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
I wonder if the any of the camera companies have the tech to use this much resolution in a high performance, sports/action type camera, or if this will be long restricted to slower bodies intended more for product and landscape work.

I would expect that you can use this for sports photography, but probably more staged/anticipated sports. I mean, you can shoot sports with a 5DS, it's not the best, but it works. I would not expect 1DX levels of action capturing performance though.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
My phone being stolen, forgotten or failing.
My phone being stolen would be bad. My camera gear would be a disaster. I carry concealed in sketchy neighborhoods. I also have a GPS tracker in my bag/box. Insurance is also a requirement for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
My goal is to keep ISO at 100 as much as possible. If I do bump it up, I try not to go above ISO 400. Sometimes my composition must be adjusted quickly and I may not be able to get completely stationary enough to get a shake free shot. Like I said, my use may be different from yours. Were I to get an 80 megapixel camera for this kind of work, I would find IBIS to be very useful just like I do with my Olympus. IBIS and IS is not a solution for subject movement. So again, why do you buy IS lenses if you are rock steady? If you are trying to suggest that IBIS would not be useful, though you buy IS lenses, I think the point of what I think you are trying to say is just B.S. Why do you buy IS lenses? I can answer that for you, because nobody can always be rock steady at slow shutter speeds.. I shot several images this past weekend with a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second at ISO 100 @ f/1.2 and a 6 stop ND filter as the sun was going down and shining straight into the camera. Ibis would have helped a great deal. I've been published twice, so I am getting fairly decent at what I do. You wouldn't balk at at lens with IS, so what is the problem with in camera image stabilization?

By the way, last November I did two model boot camps where the outdoor temps were below freezing. Being from Texas I don't have cold weather clothing. There was a whole lotta shakin' going on. ;)
I just think photographers big up the IBIS necessity as the one stop solution to sharp pictures but as the poster above stated for fashion subject movement would kill sharpness long before IBIS (or IS) had a chance at lower shutter speeds.

I have a Sony with IBIS but never use it and none of my glass has IS, instead using a mono or tripod.

Its great you have been published a few times and must be good at what you do. IBIS will help eradicate your movement however, I feel a timing is the best way to avoid subject movement (as the models foot hits the runway) rather than IBIS at 1/60th second.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Well, I'm glad to see this kind of technology, but I don't need to make wall-sized enlargements, nor see the bacteria in the pores of my subject, nor do I want to haul around a 300 pound tripod to keep cameral shake so small that even 83 mp is sharp (unless Canon comes out with the IBIS to be able to use this sort of hi-res sensor). I'm an outdoor photographer and shoot mostly hand-held. I get more excited by HDR than by hi-res. Still .... I'm a sucker for new tech, and I feel that old "I want the latest" urge.
Most landscape photographers who do sell their work want as many pixels as possible, which is why so many shoot medium format instead of 35mm. I know a few. They sell prints that measure in feet, the way most of us measure in inches.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
At what point does the sensor resolution exceed the resolving power of the lens?

The final resolution of an imaging system will always be less than that of the weakest component. However, improving ANY component in the chain will improve the final result. (There's a formula for computing this but I would have to dig out a college textbook to post it.) Intuitively one would think that the lowest resolution component sets the resolution and improving anything else would have no effect, but in reality it does.

In Bob Atkins review of the 5Ds he shot the worst lens he had on a 6D and a 5Ds. It was a Coke bottle on the 6D. It was still poor on the 5Ds, but looked like it might make an OK 8x10. Along the same lines, I was sure that I would hate the 17-40L on the 5Ds based on struggling corner performance on a crop sensor 7D. To my surprise the edges/corners of the 17-40L seemed better on the 5Ds despite the 5Ds capturing an even worse part of the lens. (I still upgraded to the 16-35 f/4L IS, but I actually could have lived with the 17-40L.)

The better question would be "At what point do further improvements in sensor resolution become unnoticeable even while pixel peeping?" It has been years since I researched this, but if I remember correctly somewhere around 100-120mp for 35mm FF further improvements become negligible due to diffraction across all wavelengths.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
There is a majoy problem with such sensors, you can't use it hand heled. Every little shake of the hand will be visible. or you will need to take pictures in incrediably speed (shutter speed), or will have to set up a new means to read the sensor in an untra-sped, maybe parralel.

Of course you can hand hold it. Especially with IS glass, and this new 83mp body may come with IBIS. Even without any kind of IS you just need to bump shutter speeds a bit. Or downsize in post.

I wonder if people making this complaint even realize that there are lower resolution RAW and JPEG settings on these cameras? If you're really worried about hand shake or file sizes, shoot MRAW most of the time and full RAW when you need it.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Of course you can hand hold it. Especially with IS glass, and this new 83mp body may come with IBIS. Even without any kind of IS you just need to bump shutter speeds a bit. Or downsize in post.

I wonder if people making this complaint even realize that there are lower resolution RAW and JPEG settings on these cameras? If you're really worried about hand shake or file sizes, shoot MRAW most of the time and full RAW when you need it.
+100

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
There is a majoy problem with such sensors, you can't use it hand heled. Every little shake of the hand will be visible. or you will need to take pictures in incrediably speed (shutter speed), or will have to set up a new means to read the sensor in an untra-sped, maybe parralel.

That's like saying you can't shoot the 90D handheld. Or, heaven forbid, a compact or a cellphone camera. The PowerShot G7 X III has a pixel pitch of 2.4 microns; on the 90D, or this theorized 83MP FF body, it is 3.2 microns.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
What's more probable? A camera robbery or a card failure?
depends on where you go. :p

While I get the need for dual card slots, we can actually do full real-time "off-site" backups of image data these days. I mean we have effective disaster recovery. on person or in camera SD cards just protect you in the case where the SD card dies. SD cards are cheap enough for stills data that anyone should be replacing them every 1-2 years anyways, depending on how active you are.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Yikes let's hope SSD prices start falling fast as it looks like we are all going to need a lot more storage capacity

My system drive is a Samsung 970 pro and it's fabulously fast

But the 970 currently costs £1000 for 2TB

Let's hope Intel Optane comes to the rescue very soon ...

I catalog and archive photos to HDDs. Only files I'm currently working on are on the SSD.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

(...no snark intended...)

Please enlighten...what are the downsides of more pixels?
For me that would be ...

Cost of storage

Lightroom processing time

Not email-friendly !

So far this is outweighed by the thrill of stunning resolution

but there has to come a point where diminishing returns become increasing overall net losses

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
For me that would be ...

Cost of storage

Lightroom processing time

Not email-friendly !

So far this is outweighed by the thrill of stunning resolution

but there has to come a point where diminishing returns become increasing overall net losses
Dropbox will be your best friend for getting high res images to your clients.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I catalog and archive photos to HDDs. Only files I'm currently working on are on the SSD.

I use my system SSD for processing raw files and a separate external 4TB SSD for storing the JPEG archives

I have a 5TB cloud storage with my family office 365 subscription and sync it to the SSD

I actually have 2 PCs set up like this ... So when I archive to one SSD it is automatically uploaded to OneDrive and then the other PC automatically downloads it to it's SSD

So I have two SSds kept in sync with OneDrive cloud backup

It works well generally

The reason I use SSds rather than external drives is noise reduction !!!

I used to use hard drives but they were very noisy and hot so I was always turning them off and on

Now I just use Intel NUCs which are practically silent and the external m.2 SSDs are silent too

So I can leave the whole lot on day and night and it's silent and consumes very little power

I used to have a Windows 2008 file server and a home network but I find this arrangement is way better - much simpler administration and nearly-free cloud backup !

Upvote 0