Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
"Canon also mentions that they’re working on a converter/adapter to turn a mirrorless camera into a DSLR. "
I would be more interested in an adapter that does it the other way around...:)
I did this w/ a loop and my T3i "back in the day" was kind of clunky, though it worked well for videos. I hacked a diopter adj for the optical view finder and attached it to the loop. Pretty quick on/off and pretty effective. Slowed the auto focus (live view) but w/ magic lantern, focus peaking was as fast or faster.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yes roll over space is nice - though cards are huge these days and I don't have a need to change cards much at all.
Anyway my response was to someone asking specifically about backup options with the EOS R...(rather than repeatedly lamenting what the camera does not have...)

Mine are 32GB ones....I guess I could go higher, but then again, comes the danger of putting everything on one card and have it fail...even rolling over, spreading over 2 cards gives a little insurance that the whole shoot won't be lost.

But hey, to each his own.
;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Having a 2nd card slot, isn't just for redundancy, I used it as a safety net for rolling over if I"m in the 'middle of battle" and run out of space on the 1st card and have it automagically roll over and start shooting on the 2nd card, without me having to stop miss shots, etc. Heck when I've been shooting concert festivals, with noise and excitement, and quick shooting, I might not notice for awhile 1st card had run out, you know?

And same with shooting videos, I've had those roll over for me when in the middle of a run and gun video shoot....so, nice to have it for that.

Just my $0.02,
For that purpose, wouldn't a bigger card serve just as well? There are 512 GB CF/Cfast and 1 TB SD cards... Granted, they cost a lot more than your $0.02...

Upvote 0

ronno

Pro
Sep 8, 2019
Mine are 32GB ones....I guess I could go higher, but then again, comes the danger of putting everything on one card and have it fail...even rolling over, spreading over 2 cards gives a little insurance that the whole shoot won't be lost.

But hey, to each his own.
;)

Man - how many card failures have you had??
IMO your issue is showing up at an event with a slew of too-small cards rattling around in your pocket ;-)
I'd much rather have a large card and everything backing up to my phone, than a slew of small cards to juggle while at an event.

Anyway, I am off this topic now. This one slot issue has been discussed ad nauseam already.
Anyone interested in a backup workaround for the EOS R - see my post above ;-) It works, and woks well.

Best

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Having a 2nd card slot, isn't just for redundancy, I used it as a safety net for rolling over if I"m in the 'middle of battle" and run out of space on the 1st card and have it automagically roll over and start shooting on the 2nd card, without me having to stop miss shots, etc. Heck when I've been shooting concert festivals, with noise and excitement, and quick shooting, I might not notice for awhile 1st card had run out, you know?

And same with shooting videos, I've had those roll over for me when in the middle of a run and gun video shoot....so, nice to have it for that.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne
I agree completely. I use 128GB cards and I have my cameras set to roll over when the first card fills. This way I basically never have to worry about missing a shot due to a full card. As you know, the best action always happens when you are changing out a full card or a low battery. This is why I pay a higher price for cameras that have larger battery capacities and two card slots. Some people find the two card slots best used for redundancy while in the field, while some find them best for extra capacity. It all just depends on how you shoot and what is most important to you. There is no right or wrong way to take advantage of two cards in a camera, that is why the manufacturers have options build in for how they can be used.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Srit67

It was a good run Canon
Mar 12, 2019
slower shutter speed less noise. It doesn’t directly lower it just a result of your hand holding a still subject.people expected more and they also expected a pro level body.
*sigh* I truly do not understand all the hate the R gets in nearly every single thread. It seems, though, that it is mostly from people who've never tried one. So, in my opinion, their comments don't matter one bit. Watch all the YouTube click bait reviews you want. Go out of your way to act like you know what you are talking about and feed off each other's rancid ignorance. Is the R meant to be a sports/wildlife speed demon? No. Then again, neither is the 5D Mark IV. For what I do, the R is near perfect and a real steal at it's current price.
Thanks for signing up to tell us. :rolleyes: o_O:poop:
I still had Canon gear when I signed up

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
slower shutter speed less noise. It doesn’t directly lower it just a result of your hand holding a still subject.people expected more and they also expected a pro level body.

I still had Canon gear when I signed up
You expected more. Others expected more. Some of us got exactly what we wanted. Canon never said the first FF mirrorless would be the Pro Body. However, if a 5D mark IV is a "pro" body, then so is the R in many respects. It slaughters the 5D Mark IV in some categories.

Just because you expected something doesn't mean you are going to get it when you want it. Canon has a strategy. Canon does give a rats butt what you think the strategy should be. Enjoy the Sony or whatever you got when you sold your Canon gear. You should always get what suits your needs best and be happy. But frankly, nobody here cares what you did.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Srit67

It was a good run Canon
Mar 12, 2019
You expected more. Others expected more. Some of us got exactly what we wanted. Canon never said the first FF mirrorless would be the Pro Body. However, if a 5D mark IV is a "pro" body, then so is the R in many respects. It slaughters the 5D Mark IV in some categories.

Just because you expected something doesn't mean you are going to get it when you want it. Canon has a strategy. Canon does give a rats butt what you think the strategy should be. Enjoy the Sony or whatever you got when you sold your Canon gear. You should always get what suits your needs best and be happy. But frankly, nobody here cares what you did.
You really are a Canon fanboy! Yay, go Canon!
I looked at the Eos R and simply put it doesn't hold a candle to the A7III which is in the same price point. BTW, I have a 400 f2.8 IS II for sale, wanna buy it? Your right Canon does have a strategy and that is to keep producing sub standard bodies that are behind the competition and selling them to fanboys like yourself

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You really are a Canon fanboy! Yay, go Canon!
I looked at the Eos R and simply put it doesn't hold a candle to the A7III which is in the same price point. BTW, I have a 400 f2.8 IS II for sale, wanna buy it? Your right Canon does have a strategy and that is to keep producing sub standard bodies that are behind the competition and selling them to fanboys like yourself
Blah, blah, blah. And no, don't want your 400mm, and it doesn't impress me that you have one. Enjoy your Sony. I wear fanboy as a badge of honor.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon does have a strategy and that is to keep producing sub standard bodies that are behind the competition and selling them to fanboys like yourself
Thanks for your pithy insight. I’ve always wondered how Canon has managed to dominate the ILC market for 16 years and counting, and why they currently have about 50% of the global market compared to Sony’s meager 17%. Now I know the answer – half of the market are blind fanboys that prefer substandard gear. It’s great for Canon that this group includes blind fanboys like you who buy substandard lenses costing thousands of dollars.

• Haha
Upvote 0
It does not match reality yet. I own a wildlife photography day tour and workshop business and I too have seen Sony come on strong among my clients over the past couple of years. Prior to this, Nikon and Canon systems were all I saw on my tours. This change in the systems my clients are using caused me to get a Sony a9, so I could learn and speak these clients' "language" while on tours with them. Now that Sony has a 200-600mm and 600 f/4 available it may cause more wildlife photographers to make the change that would not do so before these lenses became available. The Sony a9, and soon the Sony a9II, are and will be very capable wildlife photography cameras as will be the a7RIV (very much in the same league as the Canon 1DXII and 5DMIV). My clients who shoot Sony (and use to shoot Nikon or Canon DSLRs) like mirrorless and the advantages it brings to the table over DSLRs (e.g., no blackout EVF, WYSIWYG exposure through the EVF, being able to shoot video through the EVF, AF points that span almost the entire frame, AI AF tracking capabilities). I have shot Canon for a long time and I love the 1DxII and 5DIV, but I also see the future in what the Sony a9 brings to the table in a mirrorless body now that I have been shooting one for several months along side my 1DxII and 5DIV. The AI AF tracking makes getting shots like those below almost easy compared to what it takes using my 1DxII. I do believe Canon will soon bring a mirrorless camera to market that will rival the Sony a9/a9II, but if they falter I do wonder if what I have seen recently among my clients does not continue to pick up steam. I know I will get the Sony a9II if Canon does not bring a true high-speed, action mirrorless to the market within the next couple of years.View attachment 186524View attachment 186525View attachment 186526View attachment 186527
Amazing photos and very nice information.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks for your pithy insight. I’ve always wondered how Canon has managed to dominate the ILC market for 16 years and counting, and why they currently have about 50% of the global market compared to Sony’s meager 17%. Now I know the answer – half of the market are blind fanboys that prefer substandard gear. It’s great for Canon that this group includes blind fanboys like you who buy substandard lenses costing thousands of dollars.

Let me begin this by saying I DO NOT DOUBT THOSE NUMBERS.

However, it's clear that I am experiencing EXTREME sampling error where I live. Almost everyone around me is a Nikon user (not Sony...Nikon). And the last time my local shop had a biiiiig sale, I saw almost a parade of people walking out with boxes labeled "Nikon D3500." So I wonder if there's something different about the US market, as compared to the worldwide one.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Let me begin this by saying I DO NOT DOUBT THOSE NUMBERS.

However, it's clear that I am experiencing EXTREME sampling error where I live. Almost everyone around me is a Nikon user (not Sony...Nikon). And the last time my local shop had a biiiiig sale, I saw almost a parade of people walking out with boxes labeled "Nikon D3500." So I wonder if there's something different about the US market, as compared to the worldwide one.

Whereabouts in the world do you live?

Upvote 0