Patent: 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon

Dec 25, 2017
It would be wonderful to have a 1dx replacement with about 30 mp so it would be competitive with Sony’s offerings ( A9 ii is rumored to be in the 30 mp range).
I think so too. I use the 1dx II as a second camera for weddings (though its shutter is pretty loud) and I would like to a have the resolution of my 5D IV.
I personaly dont agree with the "lowlight over resolution for sports cameras" vibe. The Lowlight performance of the 5D is good and the 1D is not noteable better in my experience. I think the higher resolution would be a great option for event photographers, so we can crop an recompose easier.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
They are also the ones who are getting paid for their work, and sued for a lame excuse like having a defective memory card. If your work is not valuable enough to need a backup card or you can just do it over, that's fine, but some don't have that luxury and need belt and suspenders because they have a lot riding on getting and keeping a shot. Trying to make them seem stupid somehow works in reverse.
I know mate I was joking!

I would too like dual card slots. I’ve had a few corrupt files before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
I think so too. I use the 1dx II as a second camera for weddings (though its shutter is pretty loud) and I would like to a have the resolution of my 5D IV.
I personaly dont agree with the "lowlight over resolution for sports cameras" vibe. The Lowlight performance of the 5D is good and the 1D is not noteable better in my experience. I think the higher resolution would be a great option for event photographers, so we can crop an recompose easier.
Thom Hogan reviewed the topic of pixel count in a professional / sports camera just yesterday. Http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-2019-news/september-2019-nikon-canon/do-we-need-a-d6.html

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thom Hogan reviewed the topic of pixel count in a professional / sports camera just yesterday. Http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-2019-news/september-2019-nikon-canon/do-we-need-a-d6.html
Thanks for the heads up. Another fine objective article by a consummate pro. And, it speaks volumes of why the 1DXs and Ds have low pixel counts. Their specs are not aimed at me and my needs. And I really appreciate why 10 fps is enough for him and for me personally - even as a semi-retired hobbyist, it is still too tedious to choose among so many similar images looking for the best shot, even though I might miss some winners.

Upvote 0
As far as motion blur goes, there's also some room for finally introducing some computational photography in cameras, like a coded shutter or the method where you take a short exposure to get the desired shape and a long one to get the signal and then use deconvolution to get from the long exposure with less noise to the sharp image.

Fwiw there is software that can distort an image in the opposite direction of linear motion blur in order to attempt to correct it; I tested a plugin for Affinity that does that, sometimes the results are pretty good (for rescuing a record shot, at least).

Upvote 0
As a general point, I'd be surprised if a high resolution body comes with a fast fps downsampled/cropped mode, even though I'd like it myself - why would they give us effectively two bodies in one? If they can sell a fast action body *and* a slower high res one, why would they do themselves out of a sale by making the latter ape the former? Just a thought. (I know some other companies do this(?) but it doesn't make business sense in Canon's lineup as far as I can see).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 5DSR was never really intended for needing buffer. Most who use it shoot one shot on a tripod, with some exceptions. Talking about buffer and the 5DSR in the same breath is almost pointless. Buffer is discussion topic for the likes of the 1DX mk ii, 7D or maybe 5D mk iv.

It would be like saying the Ford F150 can't corner like a Corvette or Ford Fusion. Everybody in the room would stare at someone saying such things that don't correlate.
Except people like AlanF, who uses the 5DsR to capture excellent bird images including BIF. I’m sure buffer is pointless for that application. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
I'd love to see them add multi-iso pixel binning. Either dual in a diamond pattern or quad with four iso settings to demosaic like the bayer pattern. It'd be a life saver for stills/video in tough conditions like shooting a fire breathers act at night. i.e. It'd be neat to have four channel readout and a variety of capture time fancy features so the extra pixels can be easily used for things beyond large prints or heavy cropping.

This would require a sensor designed for it, but what about per channel electronic shutter? You could single frame focus stack.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Except people like AlanF, who uses the 5DsR to capture excellent bird images including BIF. I’m sure buffer is pointless for that application. :rolleyes:
Thanks Neuro. There are several of us birders in CR who use the 5DSR because of its spectacular resolution and really rather good AF. We tend to time our shots rather than spray and pray. It has 5 fps for a second or two without problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As a general point, I'd be surprised if a high resolution body comes with a fast fps downsampled/cropped mode, even though I'd like it myself - why would they give us effectively two bodies in one? If they can sell a fast action body *and* a slower high res one, why would they do themselves out of a sale by making the latter ape the former? Just a thought. (I know some other companies do this(?) but it doesn't make business sense in Canon's lineup as far as I can see).
Sony does that with A7RIV. It's silly for a manufacturer to ignore the innovations of others. Sony certainly knocks off everything it can from Canon - its 100-400mm even has the same little window at the bottom of the hood for rotating filters. A $3000+ body with APS-C capabilities is not going to displace $1000+ APS-Cs to my naive thinking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sony does that with A7RIV. It's silly for a manufacturer to ignore the innovations of others. Sony certainly knocks off everything it can from Canon - its 100-400mm even has the same little window at the bottom of the hood for rotating filters. A $3000+ body with APS-C capabilities is not going to displace $1000+ APS-Cs to my naive thinking.

But would it impact the sales of other high-FPS bodies, like the 1D series or allrounders like the 5D?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
People who complain about not having 2 card slots are the same people that panic buy 14 cans of spam when a storm is forecast.

I have had a card fail in the middle of a shoot.... and the dual card saved my bacon.... but if they get backup to a smart device as you shoot working decently, that would be an even better solution.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
But would it impact the sales of other high-FPS bodies, like the 1D series or allrounders like the 5D?
Read Thom Hogan's article on why sports pros need a low pixel sensor Http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-2019-news/september-2019-nikon-canon/do-we-need-a-d6.html while others need high resolution - they target different audiences. It's quite possible that there is room for only one high spec high res all-rounder FF and one lower spec lower res FF in the line up. Canon knows better than me. Sony is very good at marketing, and that appears their strategy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for sharing. I really love that one
Thom Hogan said:
... A lot of the D5 ranks are filled with photographers who just took what they got from Nikon, and then grumble under their breath that they don't understand something or vaguely want "more," but can't enumerate that. ...
Replace brand and camera model by whatever somebody just complains about.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Read Thom Hogan's article on why sports pros need a low pixel sensor Http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-2019-news/september-2019-nikon-canon/do-we-need-a-d6.html while others need high resolution - they target different audiences. It's quite possible that there is room for only one high spec high res all-rounder FF and one lower spec lower res FF in the line up. Canon knows better than me. Sony is very good at marketing, and that appears their strategy.
For Canon, the lower spec lower res part of a two camera strategy would seem to require something with better specs than the current R, if not more mp. Of course, an upgraded R could meet the need, so to some extent, it is just a question of what label you put on the camera.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I read that article earlier today, so let me phrase my question a bit differently with that in mind: If an 83MP camera would have an 1.6x or more crop function that would give you both 10fps and small RAW/JPEG files, would that eat into 1D and/or 5D sales? For Thoms sake Canon could even bring back the voice memo feature and text-to-speech it.

So if you don't buy a 1D because it's an anvil with a shutter button, but for other reasons, like fps or the builtin ethernet, what would an 83MP need to entice you?

Upvote 0