Patent: 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon

Jul 21, 2010
So if you don't buy a 1D because it's an anvil with a shutter button, but for other reasons, like fps or the builtin ethernet, what would an 83MP need to entice you?
Personally, what would entice me is a high level of customizability, top notch AF for moving subjects, high frame rate and deep buffer, excellent weather resistance, and ergonomics that work for me (which includes the built-in grip of the 1-series cameras, putting a grip on a smaller body is not equivalent ).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I have had a card fail in the middle of a shoot.... and the dual card saved my bacon.... but if they get backup to a smart device as you shoot working decently, that would be an even better solution.
True, but transferring that much date to a smart device has gotta slow things down! Especially if they’re raw files. I can often spend like 2 minutes photographing one subject only to discover I fired off about 200-300 shots!

Upvote 0
I wonder if people making this complaint even realize that there are lower resolution RAW and JPEG settings on these cameras? If you're really worried about hand shake or file sizes, shoot MRAW most of the time and full RAW when you need it.

I process images with DxO PhotoLab. It does not process mRaw, and there are no plans to support it.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
True, but transferring that much date to a smart device has gotta slow things down! Especially if they’re raw files. I can often spend like 2 minutes photographing one subject only to discover I fired off about 200-300 shots!

It just keeps doing the backup of whats on the card till its done, so it doesnt really slow things down.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I read that article earlier today, so let me phrase my question a bit differently with that in mind: If an 83MP camera would have an 1.6x or more crop function that would give you both 10fps and small RAW/JPEG files, would that eat into 1D and/or 5D sales? For Thoms sake Canon could even bring back the voice memo feature and text-to-speech it.

So if you don't buy a 1D because it's an anvil with a shutter button, but for other reasons, like fps or the builtin ethernet, what would an 83MP need to entice you?
A crop mode, which I would use most of the time. An 83 Mpx without one and having 100-120 MB files would clog up my computing and storage systems. The 60-80 MB files from my 5DSR are a real pain.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
People who complain about not having 2 card slots are the same people that panic buy 14 cans of spam when a storm is forecast.
Nope, having a second card slot is a risk mitigation for those people. Some people understand risks better than others. That’s fine.
I work for a very large multinational and risk mitigation is natively inbuilt in every single business transaction. Complexity is a norm for an enterprise focused organisation. Risk taking isn’t an option. Therefore risk taking individuals are likely to seek employment elsewhere.
However, those lucky ones who are able to comprehend and embrace a complexity are very well remunerated in return.

Upvote 0
Yes, except for the massive increase in photo storage requirements.

Maybe, but mostly no.

The costs of storage and memory continue to decrease at a significant rate. When you consider that ongoing trend, the actual costs of storage don't really increase at all. It likely still costs about the same to store an 80MP image file as it cost to store a 50MP image file several years back — perhaps even a bit less.

And... for those who don't need or want higher resolution Canon continues to provide lower MP alternatives that are quite fine cameras, too.

Upvote 0
...or immediately go buy French Toast whenever snow is forecast (Bread, eggs, milk)

Well, no.

We are people who have experienced the loss of images from a damaged card, and we are people who find ourselves in situations in which we must make many hundreds or thousands of photographs before we can offload them to a computer and make a backup.

I agree that there is room for one-slot cameras at the lower end and perhaps in the mid-range. However, the added security of having a second copy of the files is well worth the slightly increased camera cost. It feels more like common sense than paranoia to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Maybe, but mostly no.

The costs of storage and memory continue to decrease at a significant rate. When you consider that ongoing trend, the actual costs of storage don't really increase at all. It likely still costs about the same to store an 80MP image file as it cost to store a 50MP image file several years back — perhaps even a bit less.

And... for those who don't need or want higher resolution Canon continues to provide lower MP alternatives that are quite fine cameras, too.
What if 24Mp is too low and 83Mp excessive?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Could be useful then! What about if you’re in an area with no internet though?
I believe that it would be paired directly to the cell phone, so no external wifi is needed. Of course, if you are going "to the cloud" you will need external wifi or cell coverage.

One flaw with this is if you are the type of person who is going to take enough shots to fill the phone (and I do this regularly) in which case you end up filling your backup device.

It would be interesting to see if this will work with a laptop.....

Also, in the Olympics, a lot of 1DX2 shooters were tethered to the internet, so when they took a picture it was automatically sent back to the office where someone else would edit and post the images. Same concept!

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I believe that it would be paired directly to the cell phone, so no external wifi is needed. Of course, if you are going "to the cloud" you will need external wifi or cell coverage.

One flaw with this is if you are the type of person who is going to take enough shots to fill the phone (and I do this regularly) in which case you end up filling your backup device.

It would be interesting to see if this will work with a laptop.....

Also, in the Olympics, a lot of 1DX2 shooters were tethered to the internet, so when they took a picture it was automatically sent back to the office where someone else would edit and post the images. Same concept!
I’ve always liked the idea of plugging an external 1TB hard drive into the side of a camera and storing to that. Like a seagate expansion or something.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’ve always liked the idea of plugging an external 1TB hard drive into the side of a camera and storing to that. Like a seagate expansion or something.
If you have the WFT for the 1DS MkIII you can plug low energy use or self powered USB devices into it for storage.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I agree that there is room for one-slot cameras at the lower end and perhaps in the mid-range. However, the added security of having a second copy of the files is well worth the slightly increased camera cost. It feels more like common sense than paranoia to me.

I'd happily take a 'pro' camera with one slot, I paid $1,000's for the early 1 series that all had one card slot, you can pay $10,000's for current medium format digital cameras with one card slot.

I had way more issues back in the days of film with lost and damaged rolls than I have ever had with digital files.

Upvote 0