More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

An LCD that can be tilted up into waist level viewfinder position sounds natural to me, but why would an EVF be tiltable?
Because old farts like me prefer to look through a viewfinder!

I'm waiting to replace my 5d3. I would prefer a dslr but I'm willing to look at this new mirrorless if the evf is better than the R has.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Because old farts like me prefer to look through a viewfinder!

I'm waiting to replace my 5d3. I would prefer a dslr but I'm willing to look at this new mirrorless if the evf is better than the R has.

Well, I prefer looking through the 5Dmk3's viewfinder as well, question is why would you like to change the viewfinder's angle?

I understand looking forward through an E/OVF, I understand waist level viewfinder (= screen facing up), I don't understand having to face down and have the camera against one's face.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I guess for the same reason the Angle Finder C exists. And the EVF-DC1 is tiltable as well. Though a tiltable rear screen largely makes those obsolete, I guess.
i think its other way titlable viewfinder makes tiltable rear screen obsolete :p

easier make strong tilt viefinder with good locking position mechanism than strong tiltable rear screen.
Hard believe peoples who need high resolution camera ,wants selfie screen too :p.
Maybe you can turn viewfinder over camera too so you can fit camera to smaller bag.
For those who really need tiltable rear screen, external screen could work anyway better.
future should bring wireless viewfinder you can remove from camera and put over eye like monocle ,when camera on difficult position

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Exactly who I think about when they scream, "I want it now! I can't wait another 9 months or my world will come crashing in!"
I'm not sure what that picture was meant to say.
Again as a consumer I'm not buying the Canon Inc., I'm buying just a camera. So it's all about what market offers now and the cost of an upgrade, e.g. switching to Sony vs staying with Canon. Nobody cares if I can wait or not, and I don't care about the Canon's production cycle and what they've delivered so far, as long as I'm not buying what they've delivered.

Upvote 0
Just thinking about 83 MPix and IBIS after trying to take a photo of a plant in (very moderate) wind:
As far as I know IBIS (and IS in lenses) use a gyro / acceleration sensor and "react" with sensor / lens element to compensate for movements of the camera.

What if Canon is trying to use pattern recognition on the sensor (linked to the AF point) to stabilize the sensor? This would not only compensate for camera movement but for (erratic) object movement! This needs speed, maybe a reason for the additional pins on lenses / lensmount for communication. And a reason for Canon being late in the IBIS department ???

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm not sure what that picture was meant to say.
Again as a consumer I'm not buying the Canon Inc., I'm buying just a camera. So it's all about what market offers now and the cost of an upgrade, e.g. switching to Sony vs staying with Canon. Nobody cares if I can wait or not, and I don't care about the Canon's production cycle and what they've delivered so far, as long as I'm not buying what they've delivered.
I was responding to the photo my buddy posted, not anything you said. I never even read your comment, and don't care to. The character in the photo he posted is Varuca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. She wants everything and she wants it now. She's a spoiled brat with the attitude of many on this website, especially those who create new accounts to tell us all how far behind they think Canon is. Viggo's posted photo was a cultural reference I recognized and found funny in light of what we read in threads all the time. So if you want to understand why it was funny, just watch the video. Otherwise, lay off. What I said to Viggo had absolutely nothing to do with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I guess for the same reason the Angle Finder C exists. And the EVF-DC1 is tiltable as well. Though a tiltable rear screen largely makes those obsolete, I guess.
Unless you are shooting outdoors in a bright lit environment (full sun) and cannot see what is displayed on the rear screen anyway and have to use viewfinder piece instead.

Upvote 0
Exactly who I think about when they scream, "I want it now! I can't wait another 9 months or my world will come crashing in!"
The problem is that I am waiting 5 years for "the fullframe camera", add this to the 9 months! I wanted to buy 5D IV but it was very expensive compared to its predecessors so I bought the 5D mark i. Then EOS 200D because it had the new sensor tech and seemed to be fine feature wise. Than the EOS M50 because I wanted to try a newer mirrorless camera for better AF (free choice of AF position).

I learned that the EOS 200D has similar IQ compared to the 5D but AF isn't always spot on (never was with DSLRs of the lower...medium category).
Then I learned that the M50 has similar IQ BUT it has a much much better AF hit rate compared to all other Canon cameras I ever had. The reason is, that I like to use wider apertures and compositions where the object is never at the place where the DSLRs provided AF points.

A problem with Canon is that they leave out simple features in their basic cameras which could have been provided by software, e.g. some setting of IS stops for the auto ISO algorithm: With a 200mm lens the shutter speed is nailed to 1/320 maxium with IS enabled while 1/45 sec would be possible assuming a 3-stop advantage. It is one parameter in firmware, one menu item and two or three if statements.
What I have learned: Canons cameras are very well thought out, they are a joy of use, but some very important things are missing in their basic models. I am not confident that these are implemented in their higher end models - so I have skipped them up to now.

While I am just an "amateur" I do not depend on these cameras but I would like to have a camera which can be used over 5 or more years without unnecessary limitations. And last but not least: I would like to pay for essential firmware updates which introduce useful software features!

A lot of Canons cameras seem to me like test objects to look how they work in the wild. But I am waiting for a refined milestone model like 5D mark ii. And I want it NOW NOW NOW :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Unless you are shooting outdoors in a bright lit environment (full sun) and cannot see what is displayed on the rear screen anyway and have to use viewfinder piece instead.

Both have their advantages.

One time I had to raise the camera two feet above my head to take a picture of something through glass that otherwise would have had glare on it. The flippy screen on my M50 made that possible--or would have, if I had known how to keep the viewfinder from activating (it was a dark room) as soon as I lifted the camera. I found out later how to do it. Granted, that would have been an absolutely sucky, unsteady picture with a super-hi-res camera, but nevertheless, I am sure there are times you *can't* use a viewfinder without being made of elastic.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The problem is that I am waiting 5 years for "the fullframe camera", add this to the 9 months! I wanted to buy 5D IV but it was very expensive compared to its predecessors so I bought the 5D mark i.
Well, if you've been waiting 5 years for "the fullframe camera", I don't know what to tell you. If that means it ticks all the boxes for everything you'd like to have... you'll be waiting a lot longer. That isn't Canon's fault, it's yours. You want it all. You want it now. And you want it cheap.

Thanks for reinforcing the cultural reference. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well, if you've been waiting 5 years for "the fullframe camera", I don't know what to tell you. If that means it ticks all the boxes for everything you'd like to have... you'll be waiting a lot longer. That isn't Canon's fault, it's yours. You want it all. You want it now. And you want it cheap.

I might as well repeat my (facetious) demand for a 10-600 mm, f/1.0 lens that can fit in my pocket and is cheap. It's such a pain in the ass to have to change lenses; why can't I have one that does everything? "Ah," but you say, "If you only need one lens, why does it need to fit in your pocket? Just leave it on the camera!" "You're right," I say..."My bad. I really want the camera and lens to fit in my pocket!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I might as well repeat my (facetious) demand for a 10-600 mm, f/1.0 lens that can fit in my pocket and is cheap.
Heck, the RP is inexpensive and so is the R compared to the 5D Mark IV. Why someone who said he was thinking on buying the 5D Mark IV, but instead bought the original 5D (Had to have been used) can't have been serious about the Mark IV to begin with.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Heck, the RP is inexpensive and so is the R compared to the 5D Mark IV. Why someone who said he was thinking on buying the 5D Mark IV, but instead bought the original 5D (Had to have been used) can't have been serious about the Mark IV to begin with.

I don't know the 5s well at all. But the general sense I get is that the R doesn't compare to the Mark IV. It might, however, compare to the original (the not-a-Mark-I-because-the-first-one-is-never-called-Mark-I).

Upvote 0
I know the movie, and I like the other one with Johnny Depp more btw, but as I said I didn't think it was relevant to what I said before. The picture was sent in a response to my post, and my post was quoted above the picture, maybe you noticed that.

I was responding to the photo my buddy posted, not anything you said. I never even read your comment, and don't care to. The character in the photo he posted is Varuca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. She wants everything and she wants it now. She's a spoiled brat with the attitude of many on this website, especially those who create new accounts to tell us all how far behind they think Canon is. Viggo's posted photo was a cultural reference I recognized and found funny in light of what we read in threads all the time. So if you want to understand why it was funny, just watch the video. Otherwise, lay off. What I said to Viggo had absolutely nothing to do with you.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't know the 5s well at all. But the general sense I get is that the R doesn't compare to the Mark IV. It might, however, compare to the original (the not-a-Mark-I-because-the-first-one-is-never-called-Mark-I).
Actually, the R compares very well to the 5D Mark IV spec sheet wise, better in many ways. Has the same sensor. It is a really good camera. I came to the R from the 5D mark III and it stomps the crap out of the Mark III in every way. The R is so good I sold all my EF glass to switch to native RF glass. To top it off, the RF "L" glass is really incredible.

Attachments

• _E5A1998 web.jpg
    _E5A1998 web.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 183
  • _E5A1950 web.jpg
    _E5A1950 web.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Izii 1 web.jpg
    Izii 1 web.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Izzi 7 web.jpg
    Izzi 7 web.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I heard it’s a retro Atari joystick that plugs into the USB port. Guaranteed to make you feel like a kid again. You can play asteroids on the back screen too when you are done shooting. :p
Maybe you’re on to something there... there’s only so many setting I can go over when I’m on a 14 hour flight. Would be nice to play snake or tetras or something.

• Haha
Upvote 0