More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I know the movie, and I like the other one with Johnny Depp more btw, but as I said I didn't think it was relevant to what I said before. The picture was sent in a response to my post, and my post was quoted above the picture, maybe you noticed that.
Nope, I didn't. Sorry if your misconceptions hurt your feelings. I told you why I thought the photo was funny. Had nothing to do with you, so don't make it about you.

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
A touchpad in place of a joystick would be great. But JESUS tap-dancing Christ can you add a sensitivity slider, unlike the touch AF right now where I have to do 3 separate movements to get the AF point across the screen in relative move. Please put this basic, basic functionality that should be very easy to program in, or hire me for a week and I'll program it in for you. Bah!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I would prefer the classic joystick which is on the 5dsr. For me its the perfect layout anyway, why change it. Perhaps a bigger LCD-screen would be nice (tilty flippy like in the G12).

Have you tried to use the classic joystick to quickly move between literally five thousand (about 90*60) AF point positions?

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
Have you tried to use the classic joystick to quickly move between literally five thousand (about 90*60) AF point positions?
No, but I doubt that you pin-point the exact focus point, its always a rough guess and there is some clustering happenig anyhow. If speed is of concern, then I can imagine some speed options to adjust the behaviour. The touch bar implementation was a deal breaker for me and if a similar approach is brought to the high megapixel camera, its a deal breaker again for me and I will stick to my camera for a bit longer. I really like the button layout and the behaviour of the 5dsr and that is refined up to that state. The current offerings hamper the Canon ergonomics quite a bit, at least for me, which was always a strong point for Canon. So far, not so much...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The problem is that I am waiting 5 years for "the fullframe camera", add this to the 9 months! I wanted to buy 5D IV but it was very expensive compared to its predecessors so I bought the 5D mark i. Then EOS 200D because it had the new sensor tech and seemed to be fine feature wise. Than the EOS M50 because I wanted to try a newer mirrorless camera for better AF (free choice of AF position).

I learned that the EOS 200D has similar IQ compared to the 5D but AF isn't always spot on (never was with DSLRs of the lower...medium category).
Then I learned that the M50 has similar IQ BUT it has a much much better AF hit rate compared to all other Canon cameras I ever had. The reason is, that I like to use wider apertures and compositions where the object is never at the place where the DSLRs provided AF points.

A problem with Canon is that they leave out simple features in their basic cameras which could have been provided by software, e.g. some setting of IS stops for the auto ISO algorithm: With a 200mm lens the shutter speed is nailed to 1/320 maxium with IS enabled while 1/45 sec would be possible assuming a 3-stop advantage. It is one parameter in firmware, one menu item and two or three if statements.
What I have learned: Canons cameras are very well thought out, they are a joy of use, but some very important things are missing in their basic models. I am not confident that these are implemented in their higher end models - so I have skipped them up to now.

While I am just an "amateur" I do not depend on these cameras but I would like to have a camera which can be used over 5 or more years without unnecessary limitations. And last but not least: I would like to pay for essential firmware updates which introduce useful software features!

A lot of Canons cameras seem to me like test objects to look how they work in the wild. But I am waiting for a refined milestone model like 5D mark ii. And I want it NOW NOW NOW :)
I recall that a few years ago, a poster stated that the 7DII was a great camera, but he wanted a FF camera and why couldn’t Canon just put a FF sensor in the 7DII...and sell it for the price of the 7DII.

Sorry, the world doesn’t work that way.

Upvote 0
The problem is that I am waiting 5 years for "the fullframe camera", add this to the 9 months! I wanted to buy 5D IV but it was very expensive compared to its predecessors so I bought the 5D mark i. Then EOS 200D because it had the new sensor tech and seemed to be fine feature wise. Than the EOS M50 because I wanted to try a newer mirrorless camera for better AF (free choice of AF position).

I learned that the EOS 200D has similar IQ compared to the 5D but AF isn't always spot on (never was with DSLRs of the lower...medium category).
Then I learned that the M50 has similar IQ BUT it has a much much better AF hit rate compared to all other Canon cameras I ever had. The reason is, that I like to use wider apertures and compositions where the object is never at the place where the DSLRs provided AF points.

A problem with Canon is that they leave out simple features in their basic cameras which could have been provided by software, e.g. some setting of IS stops for the auto ISO algorithm: With a 200mm lens the shutter speed is nailed to 1/320 maxium with IS enabled while 1/45 sec would be possible assuming a 3-stop advantage. It is one parameter in firmware, one menu item and two or three if statements.
What I have learned: Canons cameras are very well thought out, they are a joy of use, but some very important things are missing in their basic models. I am not confident that these are implemented in their higher end models - so I have skipped them up to now.

While I am just an "amateur" I do not depend on these cameras but I would like to have a camera which can be used over 5 or more years without unnecessary limitations. And last but not least: I would like to pay for essential firmware updates which introduce useful software features!

A lot of Canons cameras seem to me like test objects to look how they work in the wild. But I am waiting for a refined milestone model like 5D mark ii. And I want it NOW NOW NOW :)
what you want is a eos 5d mark iv for the price of a 200d. ;) and you want it now :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

First half of 2020? Basically waiting for up to 9 months. Maybe up to a year. Any word on IBIS?
And most important question (which I'm asking myself) - should I maybe buy A7RIV?
Personally I am waiting

If the new Canon is bigger than the Sony then it's a no brainier for existing adapted EF lenses such as 70-200 F2.8

Assuming IBIS !!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As a replacement for the 5Ds(R) line, which is optimized for high resolution still photography, this sounds like it would be a significant step forward, especially if the sensor performance is as good as speculation suggests.

This isn't intended to be a high speed action photography camera nor is it intended to be the world's best video recording system — Canon makes other systems optimized for those things.
the camera still has to be good enough to be used without a tripod. who wants a bunch of motion blurred details that defeats the purpose of having extra resolution.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"RS" is a hilariously unsuitable name for a camera in Australia, because it's a common variation of this crude expression to describe something that doesn't work properly. But then again, Mitsubishi kept selling the Pajero...
The Pajero was badged Shogun in large parts of the world.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
So if people are thinking the R is the 5DIV equivalent are we thinking of a whole new Canon product cycle before we see a mirror less technology jump aka the R II to see some real advancement in a 5Dish line?

Is the thought that there won’t be a 5D5 DSLR next year?

I love the idea of more MP but 70–80 but not my preference as I would prefer a lower light and hand hold capable camera. IBIS I can’t imagine would be good enough for that.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

What what? My point was that choosing where to focus with modern DPAF sensors is more like tapping a smartphone screen than selecting one of a set of discrete points. Using a joystick (especially a non-analog one) to move what is essentially a mouse cursor is not the best user experience ever.

Upvote 0