Link: Birdies with the 90D + 600mm/4L + 1.4x

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Photography-on-the.net forum member Mark Fingar posted some bird shots taken with the 90D and 600mm f/4.0L IS II plus a 1.4x extender. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but I daresay that the 90D is going to be a worthy second camera for many a 1DX shooter.
Thanks for the link!
Very convincing pictures, indeed. Never had an APS, but this could change...
Alas, no 24 fps:eek:, 90 D is doomed.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks for the link!
Very convincing pictures, indeed. Never had an APS, but this could change...
Alas, no 24 fps:eek:, 90 D is doomed.:ROFLMAO:

Maybe the next generation will be able to take 24 stills per second. (OK, that will probably be a mirrorless.) At which point the cinema wannabes can get what they want.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here's a 100% crop from my 90D + 100-400mm II of a dunnock taken yesterday. The 90D is indeed excellent. But, it's not sharp close ups that tell you about the capabilities of a camera and lens but pushing them to the limits. So far for static birds, the 90D is outperforming my 5DSR in terms of resolution and IQ. More testing of BIF needs to be done but they are difficult to find here!IMG_0318_dunnock_adobe.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
Here's a 100% crop from my 90D + 100-400mm II of a dunnock taken yesterday. The 90D is indeed excellent. But, it's not sharp close ups that tell you about the capabilities of a camera and lens but pushing them to the limits. So far for static birds, the 90D is outperforming my 5DSR in terms of resolution and IQ. More testing of BIF needs to be done but they are difficult to find here!View attachment 186614
Interested to hear your views on the frame rate Alan. Some posters on the linked forum are saying that using the OVF in AI servo gives a max of 7fps and not the rated 10. Won't deter me provided the IQ and focus accuracy are up there but it may be an issue for some sports and BIF photogs. I guess if you're used to a 5DSR or 5DIV then it shouldn't be a concern.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Interested to hear your views on the frame rate Alan. Some posters on the linked forum are saying that using the OVF in AI servo gives a max of 7fps and not the rated 10. Won't deter me provided the IQ and focus accuracy are up there but it may be an issue for some sports and BIF photogs. I guess if you're used to a 5DSR or 5DIV then it shouldn't be a concern.
Imaging Resources has measured it at 10 fps for all file types even for continuous AF (AI Servo) https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-90d/canon-90dA6.HTM
Don’t believe everything you read on forums (unless it’s from me :) ).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
About the frame rate, one needs to turn off all the lens corrections, including the Canon DLO correction, otherwise the 90D might not reach. My 90D is doing 10fps in Ai Servo with all the corrections as well as all noise reduction, Highlight Tone priority and Auto lighting turned off.
Cheers
Grant
Grant, Agreed about the fps - I can shoot a 32 frame burst in close to 3s. I am still in a quandry about whether to get a UHS-II card. I realise that with a UHS-II reader, I will be able to download data faster to my computer, but that doesn't really help me much. What I would like to know is if the 90D will write faster to a UHS-II card than to a fast UHS-I at the end of a 32 frame burst. Do you have any idea about this?

Upvote 0
I have been able to use my 90D for a couple of hours so will post a few images here just for interest sake, with the Adobe LR workflow detailed. This Cape sugarbird raw image cropped from 6960 pixels long side to 5001, no noise reduction, some Texture, Sharpening and Tonal edit applied to the subject alone, some colour editing carried out globally on the image. Sharpening mask applied in Detail Panel. Image downsized from 5001 pixels to 1500 long edge, sRGB. Shot settings Iso 400, shutter speed 1/800sec at f4.0, EOS 90D and EF 500L f4 IS ii, taken in overcast and sometimes rainy conditionsGrant Atkinson Cape Town - 90D -8703.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Grant, Agreed about the fps - I can shoot a 32 frame burst in close to 3s. I am still in a quandry about whether to get a UHS-II card. I realise that with a UHS-II reader, I will be able to download data faster to my computer, but that doesn't really help me much. What I would like to know is if the 90D will write faster to a UHS-II card than to a fast UHS-I at the end of a 32 frame burst. Do you have any idea about this?
I can tell you in some minutes, I have those cards here Alan :)

Upvote 0
Also taken in rainy and overcast conditions with the 90D. Same Adobe LR workflow detailed as in the previous image but I had to use Whites and Exposure up quite a bit in editing to counteract the gloomy ambient light. This male Malachite Sunbird raw image cropped from 6960 pixels long side to 4604, no noise reduction, some Texture, Sharpening and Tonal edit applied to the subject alone, strong brightening of the whole image carried out globally. Sharpening mask applied in Detail Panel. Image downsized from 4604 pixels to 1500 long edge, sRGB. Shot settings Iso 500, shutter speed 1/1000sec at f5.6, EOS 90D and EF 500L f4 IS ii, plus 1.4x EF extender.
Cheers
GrantGrant Atkinson Cape Town - 90D -8844.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi Alan
So I am not a scientist :) and I don't have enough hands to operate a stopwatch for the exercise.

About the cards, with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 300 Mb/sec SDXC II card of 32GB capacity, at shutter speed 1/1250 at f4.0, iso from 400-640, with Release and Speed priority AF enabled, I can get 29 RAW shots before the camera stops. With that card, it seems that within one second or perhaps one and a half seconds I am able to start shooting again, not the full 29 but at least some bursts of 4 or 5 frames.

With the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 Mb/sec SDXC I card of 64GB capacity, at shutter speed 1/1250 at f4.0, iso 400-640, same camera settings for AF as above, I can get 28 or 29 RAW shots before the camera stops. With this slower card, it seems that I can start to shoot again within about 1.5 seconds roughly, but its two or three shot bursts before it stops again. The main benefits with the SDXC II cardseem to be in if you fill the buffer then delay before you can start to shoot again is significantly less.

The third test I did was to use the SDXC II card (300 Mb/sec) again, but with the camera set as above except image quality was changed to C-RAW, and the 90D took 113 shots before filling the buffer. So a viable option for action sequences...:)
Cheers
Grant

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

EOS R card speed test. Not quite the 90D But may be useful for a UHS vs UHS II comparo. Canon writes much faster to a UHS II card.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan
So I am not a scientist :) and I don't have enough hands to operate a stopwatch for the exercise.

About the cards, with a Sandisk Extreme Pro 300 Mb/sec SDXC II card of 32GB capacity, at shutter speed 1/1250 at f4.0, iso from 400-640, with Release and Speed priority AF enabled, I can get 29 RAW shots before the camera stops. With that card, it seems that within one second or perhaps one and a half seconds I am able to start shooting again, not the full 29 but at least some bursts of 4 or 5 frames.

With the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 Mb/sec SDXC I card of 64GB capacity, at shutter speed 1/1250 at f4.0, iso 400-640, same camera settings for AF as above, I can get 28 or 29 RAW shots before the camera stops. With this slower card, it seems that I can start to shoot again within about 1.5 seconds roughly, but its two or three shot bursts before it stops again. The main benefits with the SDXC II cardseem to be in if you fill the buffer then delay before you can start to shoot again is significantly less.

The third test I did was to use the SDXC II card (300 Mb/sec) again, but with the camera set as above except image quality was changed to C-RAW, and the 90D took 113 shots before filling the buffer. So a viable option for action sequences...:)
Cheers
Grant
My Sandisk Extreme Pro 300 Mb/s UHS-II arrived yesterday and I tried it versus a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 Mb/s UHS-I card. Identical performance as far as I can see.

Upvote 0