RF 24-240mm: No full frame cover at 24mm

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I am not interested in this conversation. However, the proposed cause of this issue sounds way too opportunistic for a risk averse enterprise. Read : Canon.

For someone "not interested in this conversation" you've been devoting a fair amount of effort to telling participants in it that they are wrong. Though you've not followed through and supplied anything to support that. Maybe that's what you're not interested in doing.

Don't misunderstand me; if I am demonstrably wrong, I want to know it. But I'm not going to conclude I was wrong on the basis of some guy on the internet who isn't interested in backing up an assertion that I am wrong.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Even with the G7X II, I sometimes go back and forth between profile lens corrections on and off in ACR. Sometimes that leads me to lessen and sometimes to increase some settings. I'd rather do that than have another couple pounds of glass to do lens corrections. Sometimes after I've altered perspective, such as converging verticals, I need to nudge the correction a bit toward the pincushion direction to straighten the lines. I think the profile slightly undercorrects barrel distortion.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
For someone "not interested in this conversation" you've been devoting a fair amount of effort to telling participants in it that they are wrong. Though you've not followed through and supplied anything to support that. Maybe that's what you're not interested in doing.

Don't misunderstand me; if I am demonstrably wrong, I want to know it. But I'm not going to conclude I was wrong on the basis of some guy on the internet who isn't interested in backing up an assertion that I am wrong.
You are a demonstrably wrong:) sorry.
I expressed my opinion ( made a single short comment) but not in a position to engage in arguments or have time for responding to Rhetorical questions.
I do not see this being devoting a fair amount of effort.
I Hope this explains.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You are a demonstrably wrong:) sorry.
I expressed my opinion ( made a single short comment) but not in a position to engage in arguments or have time for responding to Rhetorical questions.
I do not see this being devoting a fair amount of effort.
I Hope this explains.

I may be demonstrably wrong...but as you haven't demonstrated it...dismissed.

Upvote 0

PCM-madison

CR Pro
Dec 9, 2013
Distortion at 24mm, yes. Not covering full frame, false. EOS RP with 24-240mm at 24mm F4. RAW image processed in Adobe RAW with no lens correction.View attachment 186607
Upon further testing by opening RAW photos from my lens at 24mm F4 using different RAW converters, I can confirm that my lens shows mechanical vignetting or not depending on the RAW conversion pathway. All of the final images are 6240X4160 so there is clearly some cropping and up-scaling for some RAW conversion pathways that I was not aware of.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
So the lens profile correction in Adobe camera raw straightens the distortion which crops the photo and removes viginetting. Apparently DPP does the same, I do not have DLO corrections for the lens, they must be embedded in the cr3 file.

I don't think that's a issue for me, but how wide actually is the final image?

If the hype over the distortion at 24mm causes a drop in sales and a drop in price, I'll get one.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Upon further testing by opening RAW photos from my lens at 24mm F4 using different RAW converters, I can confirm that my lens shows mechanical vignetting or not depending on the RAW conversion pathway. All of the final images are 6240X4160 so there is clearly some cropping and up-scaling for some RAW conversion pathways that I was not aware of.

Is it a big deal to you? The lens is weak at 24mm, but the corrected images don't look bad to me. I would not be buying this lens for critical work, just as a walk around do it all lens.

Does it take a TC?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0