The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2014
Also, the a9II will likely be 2K less than the 1DxIII if Canon prices the 1DxIII like it did the 1DxII. Rumors are the a9II will be 5K, I am thinking the 1DxIII will be $6999. If this is what happens, I will have a hard time choosing the 1DXIII over the a9II given what I have learned about the comparative capabilities of the 1DxII and a9 after shooting them side by side for a while now. Osprey image is a9 with adapted Canon 600 f/4 IS + 1.4x TC hand held.View attachment 186655
Wow! Very nice shot! Can you share more about your experience with the Sony A9 using adapted Canon glass?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Because then it would not be a MkIII.

How do we know that there is a MIII? Perhaps they are misleading the self righteous know it all's, boy would that be great. Not saying there is no DSLR but Canon has been, by rumor, testing a MIII capable mirrorless camera currently.
Yes, a real MIII DSLR is possible if the mirrorless cannot meet the pinacle of camera standards the MII has set. But who knows. This is a rumor site and we all can speculate as well as any other source who really has no clue. Again the specs listed in the article starting this chain could apply to a Mirrorless as easily as to a DSLR.

Upvote 0
Shooting with the 1dx mkII for about 3 years now, and i am a happy user (well, most of...) For photography the camera is a beast and always gave me the best shots either in sports (soccer) or wildlife. Very reliable camera, great AF.
So, regarding to Stills, what I would love to see is that bump in resolution. Despite 20mp is more than enough for sports, well...for wildlife and big prints is kinda painfull....Also you dont get a lot of room for cropping when needed. For Facebook photos, or Insta is enough (well also is an Iphone! :D ) but for larger prints is not...I sold yesterday a 3 meter print and....well it was roughly ok...For this matter a bump to 30/32 mp would be awesome! Impossible? well...Sony 9II is around the corner.... :)

What i would also love for stills (and video) is a somehow animal eye focus like the one in sony! I find it very useful for wildlife. FPS the 14FPS of the 1dx mkII are more than enough. Would love an improvement in jpegs straight out the camera, despite they are good already (yeaahh i know, pros use RAW, but sports photographers dont....guess we are not pro! :D )
Well, then anything that improves the camera will be welcome, hope canon can surprise us with something inovative.

For Video....I give up, I will go for the Sony FS line or the FX6 when it come out in few days. Find that hybrid cameras never give me the needs in video (for my purposes of course)...
REgarding to 1dxmkII and possible updates....I do love the video from 1dxmkII. If they could change the codec would be great. They need to put zebras, focus peking, possibility of external recording in 4k60 and 4k120. If they dont put that....6k resolution doesnt solve anything and its better no to bother with that! What would be awesome is 10bit recording, but if they dont put that, please allow that externaly!!

So thats it! I would consider to upgrade if some improvements in still are made. Video...Well...just dont care anymore! Its time to make video with a Sony Fs5mkII or the new FX6. Why not a C200 or C300? Because of the always stupid Canon nonsense of crippling things andnot to allow proper external recording!

Waiting.

PS: Ohhh.....and I would DEFINITELY would LOVE much more to see a mirrorless 1dxmkIII!! And please stop that annoying and overpassed "Canon is doomed" meme!! Its just not funny! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Also, the a9II will likely be 2K less than the 1DxIII if Canon prices the 1DxIII like it did the 1DxII. Rumors are the a9II will be 5K, I am thinking the 1DxIII will be $6999. If this is what happens, I will have a hard time choosing the 1DXIII over the a9II given what I have learned about the comparative capabilities of the 1DxII and a9 after shooting them side by side for a while now. Osprey image is a9 with adapted Canon 600 f/4 IS + 1.4x TC hand held.
INCREDIBLE shot! Congratulations :)
What adapter are you using and how is its performance? :) I am very interested in the Sony A7R IV but my canon lense collection makes the decision difficult...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Wow! Very nice shot! Can you share more about your experience with the Sony A9 using adapted Canon glass?

Sure. I have primarily shot the a9 with my Canon 100-400 and 600 both with and without 1.4x and 2x extenders. The adapter I have been using is the Sigma MC-11. Both the a9 and the Sigma have the latest firmware.

I have found the a9's AF performance to be very good with the adapted glass. I use primarily Small, Medium, and Large Flexible Spot AF and Zone AF settings on the a9 depending on the shooting scenario I find myself in. The AF accuracy of the a9 is as good as the 1DxII and actually does a better job of staying locked on a moving subject than my 1DxII. Since I started shooting the a9 I have had more long bursts of flying birds where every image is tack sharp than I have been able to muster with my Canon 1DxII.

One issue I have found with the Sony a9 AF, whether shooting with native or adapted Canon glass, has to do with missing the first attempt at locking on to a subject. If you miss, the a9 does not like to let go of what it originally focused on. So, I find myself "pumping" the back-button AF frantically trying to get the a9 to grab the bird and not what it first focused on. Is this a huge problem, no, or I would not be shooting the a9. It is just a different behavior by the AF that takes a bit of getting used to. The main issue I have found with adapted glass is the slow focus cycling if you miss your first attempt at locking on. I tend to pre-focus on an area where I anticipate subject acquisition will take place (a good practice no matter what camera you are using IMO), so the AF is fairly close to where it needs to be when I initiate AF. When doing this, the a9 AF response is fast at locking on and it does a wonderful job of staying locked on. However, if you miss and the AF has to do a complete cycle it is very slow compared to Canon glass on a Canon body or Sony glass on a Sony body (I have shot the Sony 100-400, 400/2.8, and 200-600 on the a9). Lastly, when shooting Canon glass on the a9 and using active subject tracking I am getting 12-15 fps not the full 20 fps the a9 gives you with native glass.

Overall, I enjoy shooting Canon glass on the a9 as I think the image quality is spectacular and the no-blackout EVF is a joy when shooting fast subjects. I like the EVF better than the "stop action" affect I get through the OVF on the 1DxII. I never thought I would say that, but it is true. The 1DxII is an awesome camera that is built like a tank. I love it. The Sony a9 is no slouch IMO and brings some nice abilities to the table that the 1DxII does not. I like shooing a mirrorless body, and I am anxiously awaiting a true action mirrorless from Canon. I am sure it will be a super machine. Given a true action mirrorless will come from Canon I will hold off on purchasing the 1DxIII and wait for the Canon mirrorless. In the mean time I will continue to shoot my Canon glass on my a9 and 1DxII, and enjoy the results from both.

I hope this was somewhat informative.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
INCREDIBLE shot! Congratulations :)
What adapter are you using and how is its performance? :) I am very interested in the Sony A7R IV but my canon lense collection makes the decision difficult...
Actually, I just had a chance to shoot the A7RIV. I was thinking the black out of the EVF would preclude shooting birds in flight, which is what I do the most. It actually is serviceable for BIF and thus other action I assume. It is not an a9 or 1DxII with regards to being able to easily track a fast moving subject, but it can work IMO. With regards to the adapter I am using it is the Sigma MC-11. Please see my earlier post for my thoughts on performance. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Not to push this news too far off topic but, is this Canon’s answer to users of the 7D ii? With no official word from Canon on the future of the 7D, release of the 90D which Canon admits is not the 7D iii, what are we to think? What does a 7D ii owner do after five years and looking to upgrade?

Not trying to be funny here. I am truly confused and wonder what others are considering as the next move.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Not to push this news too far off topic but, is this Canon’s answer to users of the 7D ii?...

No. This is Canon's full frame flagship camera. At $6,000, it's not the same target market. Although if it has 30mp or more, the 1DxIII will accept a lot more cropping than its predecessor.

...What does a 7D ii owner do after five years and looking to upgrade?

Hope that there is a market for a 7DIII type camera. But that isn't looking good. Nikon is reportedly abandoning the D500. If Canon drops the 7D and Nikon the D500, then we can only conclude that neither company could justify making these cameras.

• Sad
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Here is a question I think is interesting...how many of us would go Sony keeping our Canon glass?...

I vote no. I could not care less what Sony puts out. I don't follow them and never will. I could not tell you what an ARWhatever is, even if my life depended on it. (Well, maybe if my life depended on it, I would look it up.)

Oh, and by the why, you may think the question is interesting. But it isn't.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Here is a question I think is interesting...how many of us would go Sony keeping our Canon glass? Canon seems to be leading with glass, but not with bodies.
Just a thought... I guess it would depend on how many lenses we have invested in...
This is along the lines of what I am feeling now. RF vs E mount in the future. Either my amassed EF lenses will need to be adapted some way or other and I’ll likely need to start updating. It’s not starting over but it sure feels that way.

Upvote 0
Not to push this news too far off topic but, is this Canon’s answer to users of the 7D ii? With no official word from Canon on the future of the 7D, release of the 90D which Canon admits is not the 7D iii, what are we to think? What does a 7D ii owner do after five years and looking to upgrade?

Not trying to be funny here. I am truly confused and wonder what others are considering as the next move.

Thanks.
I thought Canon said there will be no 7D ii replacement. The 90D is where it is at. I stopped waiting for it as it will never come. I would expect this 1D will be prohibitively expensive for most 7D users. Other than the 90D, the mirrorless EOS R series is where you will need to look. Unfortunately they offer nothing for sports orientated shooter at this time. A good mirrorless sports shooter will come ......eventually. But that mirrorless cannot step on the toes of the 1Dxiii so it will be gimped in some ways to make it not compete against it's big brother. I feel bad being on a Canon forum recommending a different brand, but you may need to look elsewhere. Earlier in the thread was a poster using his Canon lenses on a Sony A9. Sony is an option if you want to go FF. You can keep your glass, but as he said there is a loss in focus speed and fps, but the results are still really good.

Upvote 0

Valdormar_Hauslendale

Life Is Not Complicated, We Are
Nov 20, 2018
USA
I could give two shits about all this video swag. By a video camera if that's your jam, Canon makes them!
I would be joyed with a 1D X Mark III that was a stills only camera.
"Come ON Canon" Give us Pro body mirror flapping stills shooters what we have been asking for, over the past 7 years.
We need a 1D X Mark III with 32mp to 50mp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Would love an improvement in jpegs straight out the camera, despite they are good already

Just curious. What could be better in the straight out the camera jpegs? I'm a sports photographer and shooting 99% jpegs and fairly happy with the quality. Only shooting RAW during press conference due to mixed lights.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How do we know that there is a MIII? Perhaps they are misleading the self righteous know it all's, boy would that be great. Not saying there is no DSLR but Canon has been, by rumor, testing a MIII capable mirrorless camera currently.
Yes, a real MIII DSLR is possible if the mirrorless cannot meet the pinacle of camera standards the MII has set. But who knows. This is a rumor site and we all can speculate as well as any other source who really has no clue. Again the specs listed in the article starting this chain could apply to a Mirrorless as easily as to a DSLR.
You stated, "I do not see anywhere that this is a DSLR except in the first sentence which is just saying a continuing possible DSLR." The first sentence is, "We’ve confirmed from a very solid source one of the worst kept secrets for 2020, that Canon will announce the EOS-1D X Mark III." If Canon announces an EOS 1D X Mark III, it will be a DSLR. Period.

Now, if you want to question the validity of this rumor more generally, and are suggesting that Canon will not release a successor to the 1D X II but instead will release a MILC that delivers the specs and performance of a 1D X III, that's a different discussion. If that's the path Canon takes, they will announce something that will not be called an EOS 1D X Mark III. That was my point.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Also, the a9II will likely be 2K less than the 1DxIII if Canon prices the 1DxIII like it did the 1DxII. Rumors are the a9II will be 5K, I am thinking the 1DxIII will be $6999. If this is what happens, I will have a hard time choosing the 1DXIII over the a9II given what I have learned about the comparative capabilities of the 1DxII and a9 after shooting them side by side for a while now. Osprey image is a9 with adapted Canon 600 f/4 IS + 1.4x TC hand held.View attachment 186655
Stunning image!

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
It's going to take significant improvement over the 1DX Mark II that will convince me to invest another $6,000 in one of these bodies. The 1DX2 is currently my only EF mount camera and I have been intending to make the switch to RF lenses over the next couple years - this camera holds that idea back for me. We'll have to wait and see what they intend to do with this model line. Just being entirely honest, the 1DX Mark II does everything I ask of it and is one of the best motorsports camera ever made...what's next? For me, I entertain the idea of mirrorless, but OVFs are king in sports for me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I paid $4,700 for mine a few months after they were out via CPW, got the free CFast cards and readers too. If the 1DX MkIII is $5,000 after a. few months and I can get $3,000 for my MkII's the 'investment' is closer to $2,.000 than $6,000.

If I move on a high resolution R's' the body will be $3,500+ and the two lenses I'd want, the RF 85 and the RF 35 add another $3,000, then there is yet another $1,000 in adapters for the ND filter and the CPL to use the EF glass I need to use, and then there is the version with the control ring. I'm looking at well over $7,000 to make a serious move on the R's'...

It's going to take significant improvement over the 1DX Mark II that will convince me to invest another $6,000 in one of these bodies. The 1DX2 is currently my only EF mount camera and I have been intending to make the switch to RF lenses over the next couple years - this camera holds that idea back for me. We'll have to wait and see what they intend to do with this model line. Just being entirely honest, the 1DX Mark II does everything I ask of it and is one of the best motorsports camera ever made...what's next? For me, I entertain the idea of mirrorless, but OVFs are king in sports for me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's going to take significant improvement over the 1DX Mark II that will convince me to invest another $6,000 in one of these bodies.
I’m not sure I’d expect a significant improvement over the 1D X II, but I’d love to be wrong. Personally, the improvements offered by 1D X II the over the 1D X were not significant enough for me. It will likely be a different story for the 1D X III.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.