The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That chart appears to be a modified version of the one at Wikipedia (at the bottom of the article).

All mirrorless bodies are underneath all DSLR bodies in the chart.

I didn't think he was placing mirrorless "below" entry level DSLR (if that's what you thought I was saying). I was trying, actually to figure out where they would go if it was broken into three charts and laid side-to-side. In other words: Given the features of the M50, about what level of DSLR is it equivalent to? It ends up being above the "Mid" Ti6. BUT...because it's a few years newer, I can't say that the M50 was targeted at today's "mid" level, even if it beats out an older "mid" level.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
30mp is ambitious. 1 stop better ISO is ambitious. It will be around 24mp and 1/4 stop better ISO.
Who knows really. I just think if its 24MP it would need a few tricks up its sleeve.
I would have thought 30MP would be no issues to Canon who will soon launch an 80MP sensor
They will need something to convince people to move off the 1DX II which is a fine camera.
A minor upgrade would be tricky.
A great focusing system would really help.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Who knows really. I just think if its 24MP it would need a few tricks up its sleeve.
I would have thought 30MP would be no issues to Canon who will soon launch an 80MP sensor
They will need something to convince people to move off the 1DX II which is a fine camera.
A minor upgrade would be tricky.
A great focusing system would really help.

All joking aside, yes you are correct, however its not just us DX2 guys. There are still plenty of Neuros out there sitting on the original 1dx because the dx2 wasnt enough. You’ll have a lot of generation skipping users out there like that. It’s a $6000 machine you buy to KEEP. Even if I bought the DX3 I would likely keep my DX2 and sell other Canon bodies I own.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
All joking aside, yes you are correct, however its not just us DX2 guys. There are still plenty of Neuros out there sitting on the original 1dx because the dx2 wasnt enough. You’ll have a lot of generation skipping users out there like that. It’s a $6000 machine you buy to KEEP. Even if I bought the DX3 I would likely keep my DX2 and sell other Canon bodies I own.

It makes sense to skip over a version if there's little change.

I have skipped every other version of Microshaft Windows and it seems to have worked out well for me because it seems like the ones I don't get turn out to be disasters. (And I've broken the pattern by using Windows 7, then not using 8...but then not using 10 either.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm still using a 5D3 which is 2 years older than the 7D2. Nothing but GAS gets in my way of continued use and it doesn't take herculean strength to avoid it's siren call, just a teeny bit of willpower.

Perhaps your body is broken or malfunctioning but if not why cry to the heavens when you could just keep shooting with it? It was once great or at least good enough, believe me, nothing has changed. Nothing.

Body is working fine and I use it almost everyday. It was a great camera and still is. Just itchy for the “latest and the greatest.”

Upvote 0
Orly? Source?

I was speaking in general terms in defining the options Canon has given 7D Mii users. I have no idea where or what I would turn to if leaving Canon. I would really hate to even consider that. I’m just wondering what others are thinking or considering. The real, true option is keep shooting the 7D Mii until something better available. It works beautifully, not a thing wrong and takes terrific shots.

Upvote 0
If it has greatly improved AF against busy backgrounds, more coverage, a big jump to at least 30MP, dual CFExpress, 6K and IBIS, I would definitely consider this and return to Canon. I still have my Canon glass and my 500 f/4L Is not getting used that much, but I was holding on to it just in case Canon offered something great again. Still where is the new lighter 500 f4 III? I hope Canon can knock a few hundred grams off the 1DXIII too, D5 is noticeably lighter than the 1DXII. 2020 will be exicting with D6, 1DXIII and A9II (October). I am definitely updating my A9 to A9II if the 36MP resolution is true.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
The 1D x is not a video camera, so don't expect any video features that might compromise it's use as a stills camera.
On the contrary, the 1DXII was leaps and bounds ahead of any Canon DSLR for video features for a long time, and still is the only Canon DSLR that shoots 4k60. And it was released 3 years ago. I absolutely believe the 6k rumor, as they'll care about matching what Panasonic is doing with the S1H. Not sure how a video feature would compromise its still use though; better processing power, faster card readouts, and quality cooling are all things a high frame rate stills camera needs to be good.

Its at a price point where Canon doesnt worry about a consumer buying it over their Cine line, since it costs as much as C200/C300. So they put everything they can into the camera, unlike the 5D, R, and xxD lines where they intentially leave out features they can clearly include.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
On the contrary, the 1DXII was leaps and bounds ahead of any Canon DSLR for video features for a long time, and still is the only Canon DSLR that shoots 4k60. And it was released 3 years ago. I absolutely believe the 6k rumor, as they'll care about matching what Panasonic is doing with the S1H. Not sure how a video feature would compromise its still use though; better processing power, faster card readouts, and quality cooling are all things a high frame rate stills camera needs to be good.

Its at a price point where Canon doesnt worry about a consumer buying it over their Cine line, since it costs as much as C200/C300. So they put everything they can into the camera, unlike the 5D, R, and xxD lines where they intentially leave out features they can clearly include.

And 24 MP is where the math works out to do uncropped 6K with even whole numbers of binned pixels.

Upvote 0
Dual CFExpress cards

Is this the same as the CFast card that is in the 1DX Mark II? They look different.

I have the 1DX Mark I and Mark II and one thing I like is that I can use the batteries in both and the Mark II takes the CF card of the Mark I, though it has those very expensive CFast cards in the other slot. But it's nice to have back up cards and batteries (I have quite a few).

The SanDisk Extreme PRO Cfexpress Card Type B retails on Amazon UK for just under £300 for 128GB and just under £500 for 256GB. This adds considerably to the already expensive price of the camera, especially if you want to shoot video as well as stills as 128GB is not going to last long at 4K or 6K.

Someone asked about weight in one of the previous threads and I like the current weight and frequently travel with both. It is very well balanced.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Is this the same as the CFast card that is in the 1DX Mark II? They look different.
[..]

No, they are different. CFexpress is basically a rebranded XQD. It is however a lot faster than both CF and CFast, so, personally, I think it's the right choice for high FPS or high MP cameras. And I'll complain loudly about the price of CFexpress cards when I finally get a camera that uses those :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for explaining, koenkooi.

I would need at least two cards and a third would be ideal, and covers you in case of theft or card failure whilst on the job. That adds almost £900 to the price if I go for the 128GB, and almost £1,500 if I go for the 256GB which would be better if I wanted to shoot 4K or 6K video as well. That's very annoying.

Most of the video I do is still at 1080p. I have done a few at 4K but it is not really worth the extra time and effort for the types of videos I do.

For my stills, two 128GB would be sufficient with a third as extra security.

This extra cost will definitely come into the equation when I consider whether to buy the Mark III or not, as I am sure it will for many others too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.