Monica Mark III

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think these shots show a photographer who has reignited his strong passion for excellent portraiture. Very nice work, CFB.

And thank you for sharing your experiences with the EOS R, from the back and forth purchase decision process to putting it to such good use.

Despite differences we have had, I've followed your posts and learned quite a bit. You were part of my own decision process to buy the R. I paired it with the RF 50mm 1.2, and, after a week of intense use, I see that all you have written is accurate. I'm enjoying the camera and know it was the right move at the right time. It will replace my 5D III as the companion to my 5D IV (unless we're having some drizzly weather), and it can get consistently sharp shots that no other camera I've used can match.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think these shots show a photographer who has reignited his strong passion for excellent portraiture. Very nice work, CFB.

And thank you for sharing your experiences with the EOS R, from the back and forth purchase decision process to putting it to such good use.

Despite differences we have had, I've followed your posts and learned quite a bit. You were part of my own decision process to buy the R. I paired it with the RF 50mm 1.2, and, after a week of intense use, I see that all you have written is accurate. I'm enjoying the camera and know it was the right move at the right time. It will replace my 5D III as the companion to my 5D IV (unless we're having some drizzly weather), and it can get consistently sharp shots that no other camera I've used can match.

Cheers!
Really the choice between getting the R or 5D Mark IV came down to lenses and not having to AFMA, for me. I just could not resist the 28-70 f/2 or the 85 f/1.2. I did sell the RF 24-105 just because it didn’t quite fit for me. I love what I am seeing said about the RF 50 f/1.2 and really would like to have one, but the 28-70 is so nice that I find it hard for me to justify when an RF 135 f/X.x or even a RF 70-135 f/X.x (my imaginary dream portrait zoom) might be coming down the line, since I have very limited means. What makes me so happy with these fast lenses is their incredible sharpness wide open while still not looking clinical. Also, for portraits, the AF of the R is near perfection.

The largest help to my portrait hobby has been moving from a tiny desert town in Nevada to Dallas, TX. From here I got involved with Live Out Loud Charity through a fashion photographer I accidentally met. The charity focuses on suicide prevention, anti-bullying, and core character development by choosing state ambassadors through model boot camps and fashion shows. Ambassadors are trained to give speeches at schools and other places in their communities to let those who are hurting know that they are not alone and how to get help. With help from my friend, my photos have improved and now it is easier to find subjects willing to pose for free. So I get more practice.

I am under no delusion. I know my work isn’t good enough to make a living at it, but I will keep trying to get better. That’s the fun part. Right now I am working on getting better with strobe lighting. Still very hit and miss. I recently joined a local OCF group, and that helps. It is good to not be so isolated. In Nevada, I was lucky to find 2 or 3 subjects a year. If I wanted, I could find that many each week in the DFW metroplex.

Anyway, we might have had differences in the past, but I honestly don’t remember what they were.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0