Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
You can now download firmware 1.4.0 for the Canon EOS R via Canon Mexico. We expect other global Canon sites to make the firmware available tomorrow.
Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following enhancement:

Enhances eye detection Auto Focus (AF) for improved face and eye recognition at greater distances.
Improved Auto Focus (AF) performance helps the camera to focus on and track smaller subjects.
Reduces lag time between the actual Auto Focus (AF) and the AF frame display for images in the viewfinder or on the LCD.
Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF frame size cannot be changed in the Servo AF setting.
Fixes PTP communication vulnerability.

Download Canon EOS R firmware v1.4.0
Update: We are now linking Canon USA...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
I played the M200 video on the CR home page and watched it detect the eyes of the subjects in the video. They were pretty tiny on the screen, but as long as the eyes were clearly visible, it grabbed them. It switched from one eye to the other of the presenter as he moved his head from side to side. That was a lot better than expected. There was one person viewed from the side, and it grabbed her face, but not the side of her eye.

I guess I'll try it out on a live subject. I really was surprised to see it work on the video on my pc with a tiny image. I had no issue with my wife thru her glasses, and it detected my eyes with my glasses on and tracked them when she tried it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Upvote 0

ronno

Pro
Sep 8, 2019
I don't either, but I figured it out. You can't direct link it at that site, or at least I can't. I'm sure that links are up somewhere if you search, but beware of getting a virus.

Hint: click on the drop down windows, you can figure it out I think.

Try this for Windows 10

Thanks, problem is I was trying to look at it on my phone ;-) About to go out on a sailboat, will have to install this evening. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I played the M200 video on the CR home page and watched it detect the eyes of the subjects in the video. They were pretty tiny on the screen, but as long as the eyes were clearly visible, it grabbed them. It switched from one eye to the other of the presenter as he moved his head from side to side. That was a lot better than expected. There was one person viewed from the side, and it grabbed her face, but not the side of her eye.

I guess I'll try it out on a live subject. I really was surprised to see it work on the video on my pc with a tiny image. I had no issue with my wife thru her glasses, and it detected my eyes with my glasses on and tracked them when she tried it.
Detecting through glasses is something to brag about, I think. Very glad to read this. I never tried that though. Would it do it before?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Detecting through glasses is something to brag about, I think. Very glad to read this. I never tried that though. Would it do it before?
I spent a couple nights using it, but it mostly reverted to face detection. That was fine, because the subjects were a bit of a distance off, so the entire face and eye were in good sharp focus. Since I can't duplicate that situation right now, I can only estimate that it is going to be much better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
The AF improvements are massive, and important. I've watched some real world comparisons and it's definitely holding it's own against other brands.

But, I'm a little bummed. I was hoping they'd let the R have Focus Bracketing with this. The RP has it, and I'm not sure why, but I just thought they might include it.

Maybe next time.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The AF improvements are massive, and important. I've watched some real world comparisons and it's definitely holding it's own against other brands.

But, I'm a little bummed. I was hoping they'd let the R have Focus Bracketing with this. The RP has it, and I'm not sure why, but I just thought they might include it.

Maybe next time.
Shame - I had been hoping for it too. Strange decision not include it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0