Canon officially announces the EOS M200

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What's not to love about the existing M lens lineup? They are solid, very good lenses, fitting right in the budget of an M body users parameters. Sure they're not L glass but no slouches either. Of course you have your kit lens but the others perform wonderfully...a couple have pretty wide apertures as well. I just don't get the unhappiness about the EF-M line, especially given it's pricepoint and mount diameter, not to mention the balance issues for the bodies it is meant to be coupled upon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
What's not to love about the existing M lens lineup? They are solid, very good lenses, fitting right in the budget of an M body users parameters. Sure they're not L glass but no slouches either. Of course you have your kit lens but the others perform wonderfully...a couple have pretty wide apertures as well. I just don't get the unhappiness about the EF-M line, especially given it's pricepoint and mount diameter, not to mention the balance issues for the bodies it is meant to be coupled upon.
It's not like they are not good.
It is just that they are locked in their own system and kept separate from the others, so one really has to love the M system to commit to buy them or simply have a lot of extra cash to afford all of these for travel etc. next to their 'full-sized' system.

One of Canon's biggest asset is still their EF ecosystem, because they work with everything, but these smaller M cameras are not really suited to them (at this point, they might change this in the future, but it is unclear if the M6 Mark II will remain firmly as their flagship model)

After smaller lenses come out for the RF-system, they are still going to remain a good deal bigger than the M, but in exchange they will have a better integration overall.

I've been thinking of picking up an 11-22mm for a while, because I only have a 20mm manual prime and it just seems great value, but the cameras aren't that exciting (or cheap, in the case of the M6 Mark II)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Waiting on Canon to release an EF-M 800mm. If it doesn't happen soon, I'm jumping ship. ;) Sony. (Not poking fun at you, Padam.)

Seriously, the EF-s lenses will adapt and they are very lightweight. It just seems to me that if one wants more, one must pay more. I'll bet the M line is very popular.

A person could always adapt old MF lenses that are very small and fast, f/1.4 and a rare f/1.2. Lots and lots of f/2.8's, and in a size that would go well with an M. The M line does have focus peaking, doesn't it? Not sure how well it works. I've never seen an M. The 22mm f/2 and 32mm f/1.4 are fast.

I'd imagine a fast zoom in a size that would "feel" right on the M would be difficult or impossible to make while still maintaining image quality.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's not like they are not good.
It is just that they are locked in their own system and kept separate from the others, so one really has to love the M system to commit to buy them or simply have a lot of extra cash to afford all of these for travel etc. next to their 'full-sized' system.

One of Canon's biggest asset is still their EF ecosystem, because they work with everything, but these smaller M cameras are not really suited to them (at this point, they might change this in the future, but it is unclear if the M6 Mark II will remain firmly as their flagship model)

After smaller lenses come out for the RF-system, they are still going to remain a good deal bigger than the M, but in exchange they will have a better integration overall.

I've been thinking of picking up an 11-22mm for a while, because I only have a 20mm manual prime and it just seems great value, but the cameras aren't that exciting (or cheap, in the case of the M6 Mark II)
Guess what? Canon is hardly alone as a mfg with this issue of a subset of glass. I've never heard that complaint and think it's rather petty. It's like saying the Powershot cameras are locked into their own system and it's a crying shame they can't take EF glass. Does everything have to work together? The answer is no.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Do you have an M100? Do you feel that the M200’s feature set is improved enough for you to upgrade from an M100?
I do not but I have owned the original M, the M5 and a few lenses, my daughter has the M10 and I belong to a club where many shoot with the M100 as a travel body. So I have handled one a few times briefly. (I'm not a spec sheet forum guy, more hands on and taking pictures kind of guy)

First off my previous comments were not based upon upgrading from the previous model but stating that it was a fine addition to the lineup. As for specs, the better battery life, eye detection and 4k should be more than enough for an early adopter M100 user to want to trade in.

Personally, I'm not an upgrader. I used bodies either for long periods regardless of new models or G.A.S. or I figure out if they are not 'for me' rather quickly and move on. (Olympus Pen F, Fuji X100F, Sony RX100)

I hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Guess what? Canon is hardly alone as a mfg with this issue of a subset of glass. I've never heard that complaint and think it's rather petty. It's like saying the Powershot cameras are locked into their own system and it's a crying shame they can't take EF glass. Does everything have to work together? The answer is no.
Not exactly, a fixed lens camera is a fixed lens camera. I guess you don't read other forums then, that's what's people's concerns are, they just don't know what Canon intends to do with this system, probably slowly upgrading time to time, but definitely not keeping it as a main focus and restrict it to being "consumer-level", the 90D M6 Mark II proves that, where the EF-mount camera still has more features compared to the M-mount camera. And after the RF lens line-up is more complete, it would be logical to add-in a crop-sensor variant as well (but that's still 2+ years away)
Nikon or Sony are keeping the same mirrorless mount for both sensor sizes and Fuji is fully focused on their APS-C system. There are pros and cons to both and people don't have to agree on what's being better or worse on that but imho this M200 proves that can still takes segmentation very seriously, because consumers don't read into that at all, they just see a nice camera and buy it or as I said, have no problem of shelling out more cash for more cameras that do different things better than others.

• Haha
Upvote 0
I do not but I have owned the original M, the M5 and a few lenses, my daughter has the M10 and I belong to a club where many shoot with the M100 as a travel body. So I have handled one a few times briefly. (I'm not a spec sheet forum guy, more hands on and taking pictures kind of guy)

First off my previous comments were not based upon upgrading from the previous model but stating that it was a fine addition to the lineup. As for specs, the better battery life, eye detection and 4k should be more than enough for an early adopter M100 user to want to trade in.

Personally, I'm not an upgrader. I used bodies either for long periods regardless of new models or G.A.S. or I figure out if they are not 'for me' rather quickly and move on. (Olympus Pen F, Fuji X100F, Sony RX100)

I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks for the reply. I am a M100 owner to put my ORIGINAL comment in context. Neither the better battery life (295 vs 315), nor 4K video (given Canon’s record on 4K video and my lack of interest in video), nor eye detect AF seem to be a significant enough feature to me to upgrade. I would upgrade for a combination of better image quality (TBD by reviews), faster/better low light AF, and better ISO invariance.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

The M50 also came with more advanced features than the flagship M5.
Canon tends to do this stuff with these lower tier cameras for some reason.
They don't hold features for newer models.
Too bad it's not a trend for their higher tier lineups.
Maybe putting new features straight into new low-end models is a clever way of encouraging users of higher-end users to wait for Canon's next model and not jump ship to another make - in the confident knowledge that Canon has the technology waiting in the wings and that it's sure to be built in to future high-end models

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I watched the marketing video and was really impressed with the improvements to the user interface for beginners. I didn't think the 77D quite hit the mark and it looks like the have continued to make improvements

Whilst people on our forum are unlikely to use the UI I would really welcome an excellent novice UI in a future 5D replacement as I could then lend my camera to my teenage daughter or wife both of whom generally switch my 5D4 to fully automatic mode which is often far from ideal

Also I very very much hope they can make smart phone connection simpler - the current situation is frankly laughably complicated

The phone app should simply detect the camera and ask you what you would like to do ..

"Would you like to download the photos from your camera ?"

All of them ?
All photos taken since the last transfer ?
You choose ?

Etc ...

As for the current setup of manually setting up a WiFi connection point that is a ludicrous state of affairs - why can't you just press a menu button to detect and pair with other devices, acknowledging a PIN code on both devices for security ...

Why not allow a user to setup a WiFi connection between the camera and phone this way ? If both phone and camera support Bluetooth then that Bluetooth connection could be established first and then the camera and phone could talk over Bluetooth and organize a WiFi connection between themselves automatically. I can't speak for iPhone but with Android just about anything is possible isn't it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Why not allow a user to setup a WiFi connection between the camera and phone this way ? If both phone and camera support Bluetooth then that Bluetooth connection could be established first and then the camera and phone could talk over Bluetooth and organize a WiFi connection between themselves automatically. I can't speak for iPhone but with Android just about anything is possible isn't it ?
It is possible with Android, but it also needs to be supported in camera firmware. I raised this question with Canon's developer support, but I have no idea if Canon is going to listen. Hopefully yes.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I am a M100 owner to put my ORIGINAL comment in context. Neither the better battery life (295 vs 315), nor 4K video (given Canon’s record on 4K video and my lack of interest in video), nor eye detect AF seem to be a significant enough feature to me to upgrade. I would upgrade for a combination of better image quality (TBD by reviews), faster/better low light AF, and better ISO invariance.
And as always with things consumer based, YMMV.

Upvote 0