Show your Bird Portraits

And finely my "contribution" - I spent all my Saturday trying to get closer to this bird, Pectoral Sandpiper. They are uncommon visitors here (or not very common) and unfortunately always on such a muddy places/backgrounds. Please, don't put here (y), I know this photo would be interesting only for birders (and only birders from places where it's uncommon like here or not present at all...). Made with Nikon lens on Nikon camera (and ohhh, I know what Alan will say: "it explains everything":LOL:). Whatever, it is what I succeeded to make last weekend...View attachment 186766
That's a beauty. I haven't been that close to a Pec since I've had decent camera equipment. Here's hoping!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nothing much going on around here birdwise. This house sparrow was watching me rake leaves in our backyard yesterday so I snapped off a quick shot.View attachment 186770
Really nice! I hope it learned the lesson - next time let him to take care of the leaves:unsure:!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thank
That's a very nice shot, ISv.
Thanks Click but look at that background (and even the bird is not that sharp) and compare with yours GBH (BTW the Great Blue is even more rare visitor here than the Pectoral sandpiper)!!!
Whatever - thanks to everyone how put (y)under this photo. My revenge is one more photo of the same bird (what?! you guys were asking for that :p) and juvenile Hawaiian Coot in it's nest.DSC_3019_DxO.jpgDSC_2873_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi ISv.
That Sandpiper is an excellent shot, I don’t think the gear really matters, it was the time and effort that made the photo.

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks Graham, you know it's not an excellent shot but on other hand - gives a lot of room for more "watching the birds";)/luck/and well, even more luck!!! All this process is making me happy - it's my way to relax...

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
That's a beauty. I haven't been that close to a Pec since I've had decent camera equipment. Here's hoping!
Yes, the bird is beauty! "Hoping" is not enough, you need a lot of patience and luck (I got that bird to ~14 meters only because the help of jelouse Wandering Tatler - it was chaising the Pectoral)!
Now I'm after the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - it's time for them to arrive but also uncommon bird (except some years when they are slightly more - same as the Pectoral).

Upvote 0
Yes, the bird is beauty! "Hoping" is not enough, you need a lot of patience and luck (I got that bird to ~14 meters only because the help of jelouse Wandering Tatler - it was chaising the Pectoral)!
Now I'm after the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper - it's time for them to arrive but also uncommon bird (except some years when they are slightly more - same as the Pectoral).

Of course, but I'll explain what I meant by 'hoping'. Pecs are regular but scarce migrants in the UK and news gets out quickly when one is found. Often fieldcraft is not possible where birders and photographers are present and anyone getting too close is publicly shamed for doing so, even if the bird is unconcerned.

I always use fieldcraft and patience as this shot of a Sanderling with a 7DII & 400L on Madeira a few years back shows.

Good luck with the Sharp-tailed.

Sanderling_filtered.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Graham, you know it's not an excellent shot but on other hand - gives a lot of room for more "watching the birds";)/luck/and well, even more luck!!! All this process is making me happy - it's my way to relax...
Luck favours the well-prepared mind, Louis Pasteur.
Luck favours the lucky person, AlanF

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Thank

Thanks Click but look at that background (and even the bird is not that sharp) and compare with yours GBH (BTW the Great Blue is even more rare visitor here than the Pectoral sandpiper)!!!
Whatever - thanks to everyone how put (y)under this photo. My revenge is one more photo of the same bird (what?! you guys were asking for that :p) and juvenile Hawaiian Coot in it's nest.

Hi ISv,

Don't be too hard on yourself. I really like your pictures. Keep posting my friend.

Another very nice series above. Well done.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Of course, but I'll explain what I meant by 'hoping'. Pecs are regular but scarce migrants in the UK and news gets out quickly when one is found. Often fieldcraft is not possible where birders and photographers are present and anyone getting too close is publicly shamed for doing so, even if the bird is unconcerned.

I always use fieldcraft and patience as this shot of a Sanderling with a 7DII & 400L on Madeira a few years back shows.

Good luck with the Sharp-tailed.

View attachment 186792
Last weekend the fieldcraft worked for me. Even too much: now I'm on medication for bee stung:confused:! Being stung more than several times in Europe I didn't know I'm allergic - should be something new or the local bees are somewhat different.
Here is a shot from the Spring of the last year when I succeeded to get close to this Ruddy Turnstone (actually small group of them) - without the danger of the fieldcraft :) .DSC_5813_DxO-2.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Last weekend the fieldcraft worked for me. Even too much: now I'm on medication for bee stung:confused:! Being stung more than several times in Europe I didn't know I'm allergic - should be something new or the local bees are somewhat different.
Here is a shot from the Spring of the last year when I succeeded to get close to this Ruddy Turnstone (actually small group of them) - without the danger of the fieldcraft :) .View attachment 186821
Nice shot. I have never got that close either by luck or field craft.

Upvote 0