Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I skipped the MkIII, but I sold a Mkii in late '16 or early '17 that had maybe 20k clicks on it. I shoot almost entirely landscape so it just doesn't get hundreds of clicks when I get out. It is very common for me to head out for a morning and come back with <40 shots. I hear you on the front/back focusing thing. I'm fortunate enough to have not dealt with that kind of thing a whole lot using manual focus lenses. I do have the 70-200 f4L and the 100-400 v1. I remember calibrating AFMA on the mk II but I"m not sure I've ever had the lens on the Mk IV. I use the 70-200 for telephoto range landscapes.

I think the R is a great body and would work great for what I do with them. I'm not sure it gives me a lot/anything over the 5d4 for the way I use the camera however. If I were still sitting with the MkII or the MkIII I would probably make the change now.
Really nice Flickr page, John. Beautiful landscape photos! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
For me it is just the opposite. I can see stars in an optical VF, but nothing but noise in an EVF when pointed at the night sky unless the moon is in the frame.
I haven't tried my R on the stars, but for stage work in low light, and I mean really low, I can see faces and eyes clearly, but nothing buy outlines with my EVF. I take both my R and my 5D MK IV to events, one with 24-70, one with 70-200. I've been switching lenses half way thru. My R likes the 70-200 better, images just look better, but it can be due to other things, so tat observation is likely not worth much.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I skipped the MkIII, but I sold a Mkii in late '16 or early '17 that had maybe 20k clicks on it. I shoot almost entirely landscape so it just doesn't get hundreds of clicks when I get out. It is very common for me to head out for a morning and come back with <40 shots. I hear you on the front/back focusing thing. I'm fortunate enough to have not dealt with that kind of thing a whole lot using manual focus lenses. I do have the 70-200 f4L and the 100-400 v1. I remember calibrating AFMA on the mk II but I"m not sure I've ever had the lens on the Mk IV. I use the 70-200 for telephoto range landscapes.

I think the R is a great body and would work great for what I do with them. I'm not sure it gives me a lot/anything over the 5d4 for the way I use the camera however. If I were still sitting with the MkII or the MkIII I would probably make the change now.
I think you would use manual focus for either camera, in live view on a tripod, both work with touch focus, so you can focus on what you want, but the ability to manually focus until the image looks just as you want it is most important, and you have a exceptional talent for that.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I think you would use manual focus for either camera, in live view on a tripod, both work with touch focus, so you can focus on what you want, but the ability to manually focus until the image looks just as you want it is most important, and you have a exceptional talent for that.

Thank you much appreciate,although I can assure I have plenty of examples where I missed it for one reason or another. I’ve caught myself at times even forgetting to refocus when I change composition lol

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thank you much appreciate,although I can assure I have plenty of examples where I missed it for one reason or another. I’ve caught myself at times even forgetting to refocus when I change composition lol
My trash can is full of things I forgot to do or couldn't figure out. ;) My "portfolio" is full of the mediocre. You are a master.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Reminds me of the discussions years ago when digital started. Even at several megapixels, digital was still considered to have less than half the resolution of film and lack the “feel” of film. Many said they would never switch.

Film is still here. Plenty of film still manufactured, as well as some cameras, e.g. by Nikon.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
My trash can is full of things I forgot to do or couldn't figure out. ;) My "portfolio" is full of the mediocre. You are a master.
I actually just took a look at your portfolio, and I would say you are far more master than mediocre. What little shooting I have done of the type you do, I couldn't hold a candle. Great work.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I actually just took a look at your portfolio, and I would say you are far more master than mediocre. What little shooting I have done of the type you do, I couldn't hold a candle. Great work.
You are very kind. I use flickr to keep track of the ups and downs. Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Once in my twenties when I could finally afford a single-lens reflex, it was so cool. I could look through the actual lens. Almost 50 years later, I am not ready to give that up. And, yes, I have small cameras that give me a TV picture on the screen on the back. My DSLRs can do that, too, when I wish. Sometimes you want to see things in person, and sometimes you want to watch TV. My newest camera even has a popup EVF for when the light is too bright to see the screen on the back. The diopter setting is too fussy to get the view very sharp. I doubt I'll find it usable for manual focusing. Luckily on that small a lens, focus is not that critical. If one eye of the subject is in focus, the other eye will almost surely be in focus.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Wow! I had no idea Nikon was still in film. Two models too. Checking out the lower model.

I may be wrong but I believe that Nikon stopped production of the F6 years ago, so any new sales are from stock. Also the FM10 isn’t made by Nikon but contracted out. Any urge I had to shoot film again died with the introduction of the 5DS, but I’d be the first to admit that there is something rather magical about a well exposed transparency.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I may be wrong but I believe that Nikon stopped production of the F6 years ago, so any new sales are from stock...
I thought I had read that Nikon quit sometime before 2010, so it is amazing to me that there are still brand new F6 cameras available (Adorama). I could not, nor would I, buy one. I have film cameras (Canon A-1 with the motor winder and tiny grip, Mamiya/Sekor 500TL and 1000 DTL, and Yashica, Voigtlander.). All of them work, but need light seals. Found that out the hard way. The SLR's were attached to old lenses I wanted so were pretty much free. The Voigtlander was a gift from a near 90 year old lady who bought it new.

I keep hearing there is a film camera revival out there, but I think that is probably due to the Instax and Lomo crazes. Otherwise, those F6 cameras wouldn't still be on the shelf.

I keep getting nostalgic about maybe doing film again, then I consider the expense. Substantial expense. So I won't. Still, there is a beauty in old black and whites to me. Again, maybe because I am getting old and nostalgic. It would be fun when my grandson gets old enough, to shoot some film and take him through the process. Out of all those cameras I think I would only choose the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL to restore as I have a lot of lenses to screw onto it. It is a beautiful camera.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I thought I had read that Nikon quit sometime before 2010, so it is amazing to me that there are still brand new F6 cameras available (Adorama). I could not, nor would I, buy one. I have film cameras (Canon A-1 with the motor winder and tiny grip, Mamiya/Sekor 500TL and 1000 DTL, and Yashica, Voigtlander.). All of them work, but need light seals. Found that out the hard way. The SLR's were attached to old lenses I wanted so were pretty much free. The Voigtlander was a gift from a near 90 year old lady who bought it new.

I keep hearing there is a film camera revival out there, but I think that is probably due to the Instax and Lomo crazes. Otherwise, those F6 cameras wouldn't still be on the shelf.

I keep getting nostalgic about maybe doing film again, then I consider the expense. Substantial expense. So I won't. Still, there is a beauty in old black and whites to me. Again, maybe because I am getting old and nostalgic. It would be fun when my grandson gets old enough, to shoot some film and take him through the process. Out of all those cameras I think I would only choose the Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL to restore as I have a lot of lenses to screw onto it. It is a beautiful camera.
Not too long ago there were still some EOS 1vs on the market as well. Not sure if that is still true. When I saw them they were still priced quite high!

I already had an EOS 3 which is a really neat body. I picked up a mamiya rz67 pro and canon a1 a few years ago. Enjoy shooting them but frankly the process is far more work intensive. Transparencies are great. Getting good scans are a pita in my opinion.

Nothing like looking at a good transparency on a light box with a loupe though

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I may be wrong but I believe that Nikon stopped production of the F6 years ago, so any new sales are from stock. Also the FM10 isn’t made by Nikon but contracted out. Any urge I had to shoot film again died with the introduction of the 5DS, but I’d be the first to admit that there is something rather magical about a well exposed transparency.

Beyond basic color correction and noise reduction/sharpening, most of what I do in post processing is an attempt to make my digital images look like they were shot on Kodachrome or other (including monochrome) slide films. I'm almost to the point of earning the "padawan" title in this regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

I sometimes feel the urge to get an 8x10 and shoot monochrome LF. Then I remember the smell of the darkroom which gets into your pores and can't be easily scrubbed off, as well as the expense, and the urge passes for a season.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
By contrast, I don't have ANY full frame camera right now, so I will probably just wait for a higher-res body as well, before taking the plunge. If I ever do. I do intend to get the M6 mk II as soon as I am convinced there won't be an M5 mk II...and that will be a 32MP camera. I can't quite see getting a full frame with fewer pixels than that now (though I don't necessarily want 80+ MP--40 or 50 would work out well I think).

New 5Ds and 5Ds R bodies can be had for around $1500 in the U.S. right now. They are 50MP.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Not too long ago there were still some EOS 1vs on the market as well.
That is what is so remarkable. Canon quit manufacturing those cameras in 2010 and it wasn't until last year that they were able to clear out their inventory. The market changed so fast that film cameras languished on store shelves and in warehouses for years and years. On the bright side: Canon has so many spare parts that they announced that service support would extend until 2025. Wow!

Upvote 0