Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

Re read what I said, I said they have comparable AF, and they do. The iso performance is comparable between the two as well, the lines of DR to iso cross several times and are never a significant distance apart, even the A9 II has the same sensor so will have very comparable DR performance.

I read what you said and think its silly
canons AF is inferior
no objective reviewer would agree with your assessment
the 1D is overdue for a refresh

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
canons AF is inferior
So your positions is the A9 AF is incomparably better than the 1DX MkII? That is a farcical position.

The A9 might be ‘better’, especially for some users, it might have more focus points and a wider spread etc etc. but it isn’t incomparably better, my point was they are comparable.

Personally I haven’t used an EVF I can pan with for hours that doesn’t make me seasick because of the viewfinder lag, small though it may be, but thats me personally. I can’t see me adopting an ‘action camera‘ with EVF for that simple reason, it doiesnt matter how much better the AF is if I am on the sideline barfing my brains out I’m not taking pictures, and the truth is with current gear I miss very few opportunities. Diminishing returns were hit a long time ago...

Upvote 0
Nuh, that makes a very little sense commercially. Sorry. money is on the SLR to MILC transition. Hence all these amazing new Canon RF lenses are popping up like mushrooms after the good rain.
Anything that does not take RF glass is a Sunset strategy for Canon at this stage.

I agree...for most types of photography. But for wildlife I think the DSLR is still king. That is of course changing slowly now that Sony has some long primes out. But in terms of ergonomics and durability I still see most people with Nikons and Canons in the wild. I am intrigued by the eye focus for animals that Sony has developed. I have seen it work well on pets, but how does it do in the wild when a Cheetah is running full pelt? How does the Sony overall function after it's been in hot and dusty conditions for 30 days straight...and than taken into the jungles? I think Canon knows there is still a bunch of photographers who will stick with DSLR which have a long track record of successful use in the wild.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How would people feel if the 1DXiii was a mirrorless R body, that had no blackout and Canon had solved all issues important to sports/bird photographers? I would actually like this as it would unify my kit, but I wonder if hard core DSLR 1DXii owners would welcome the new mirrorless arrival or would some be upset?

I would think the biggest complaint by pros would be the need for an adapter to all those big white lenses until the R versions came out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm certainly no expert, but from what I've observed and read over the past few years on these forums and elsewhere, I see it like this: the 1-series is aimed at/largely the preserve of professionals who value reliability and ruggedness above most other things, and who are the last group who will transition to mirorless (if they ever do). In that regard, the 1Dx3 doesn't need to prevent people being lured to ML - it just needs to do what the 1Dx2 does, only a bit better. Besides, it seems the expectation is a mirrorless equivalent will be released at some point in the next year or two, in which case people will be able to chooe what suits them best (a bit like the 90D/M6II position now).

I agree for the most part. But I do feel if the 1DxIII isn't a substantial upgrade over the 1dxII (which I have used extensively) than most people will simply not bother updating.The 1dx II is still one of the best wildlife cameras I have ever used. So switching will only make sense if the new version has something that will tangibly make photography a better experience. The AF and IQ for me are the two most important factors in this regard and that is where I hope to see the 1dxIII make the biggest leap. IBIS is also a welcome update ;)

Upvote 0
How would people feel if the 1DXiii was a mirrorless R body, that had no blackout and Canon had solved all issues important to sports/bird photographers? I would actually like this as it would unify my kit, but I wonder if hard core DSLR 1DXii owners would welcome the new mirrorless arrival or would some be upset?

I would think the biggest complaint by pros would be the need for an adapter to all those big white lenses until the R versions came out.

Um...it would be awesome! I don't know if most wildlife photographers care if a camera is mirrorless or mirrorslappers. We just need the system to be durable and not let us down when we have that once in a lifetime shot. I need the camera to have a good battery life. I want the AF to be fast and responsive. If it's got some AI which keeps track of an eye that's awesome - otherwise give me a joystick so i can track it myself. And finally give me nice clean files upto 6400 iso...and i'm sold. The biggest key of course is the lens and they already have adapters for that so the body just needs to be better than the one they made 4 years ago for me to switch.

The biggest plus of mirrorless for me is that EVF and the truly silent shooting. Neither of which I imagine will be in the next update. But frankly those are luxuries as far as I'm concerned, not requirements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree for the most part. But I do feel if the 1DxIII isn't a substantial upgrade over the 1dxII (which I have used extensively) than most people will simply not bother updating.The 1dx II is still one of the best wildlife cameras I have ever used. So switching will only make sense if the new version has something that will tangibly make photography a better experience. The AF and IQ for me are the two most important factors in this regard and that is where I hope to see the 1dxIII make the biggest leap. IBIS is also a welcome update ;)

I thought it was the enthusiasts/monied amateurs that go for the latest and greatest every time, whereas professionals hold onto existing gear until it dies, or something game changing comes along? Indeed the idea often repeated that a new version of a camera must entice owners of the preceding one generally seems a bit far fetched to me. It's much more complex/haphazard than that, and I suspect more realistic that people leapfrog models more than this supposes.

AF will doubtless improve - Canon has made some big strides recently, by all accounts. IQ... well I don't see much change there. The resolution will go up a bit, but not hugely, high ISO is almost as good as it physically can be, low ISO DR might be boosted, but probably not by much (and one may have to be traded for the other, as with the Nikon D5). IBIS - who knows! It'll come sometime, but which model gets it first it anyone's guess.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
canons AF is inferior

Canon sensor inferior?
What DR 1/2 stop at most at lowest ISO then Sony sensor DR drops below Canon as ISO goes up.
Or perhaps inferior by Sony having clown Disney colors SOC and to get anything usable need to do a bunch of PS where canon (And Fuji) SOC is near perfect.
Or what else?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
For BIF, the 1Dx2 struggles to maintain focus on fast moving subjects against a complex background. The A9 and D5 both perform better in such situations.

It’s so weird that Canon PDAF continues to have problems with busy backgrounds. Should be obvious that the camera should not suddenly focus far away if a moment ago it was locked on to a much closer subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
My guess is that Canon does a lifetime buy of spare parts for models that have been replaced and when those parts run out, the body becomes irreparable. I've run into the same issue with 20-year old Canon lenses, as well as lawn mowers.

I'm hoping my lawnmower can be repaired a few times until I can buy one that supports 24p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
For BIF, the 1Dx2 struggles to maintain focus on fast moving subjects against a complex background. The A9 and D5 both perform better in such situations.

heh...Ari Hazeghi is that you? (for those that don't know Ari and Art Morris mentioned this when they made the public switch from Canon to Nikon)

I think it's important to remember that this use case is extremely rare, subjective and only occurs in about 5% of BIF shots (according to Ari anyway).

In reality if you are missing shots because the 1dxII AF is not good enough I would first look at your long lens technique and system calibration and stability. Most of the time that is where the problem lies.

Upvote 0
28 MP is too much und completely unnecessary. The same i think of 30 fps. Really important factors are autofocus and dynamic range. Anyway I´m waiting for a 14 to 20 fps mirrorless model with a body in good, namely bigger size, ibis and two memory cards. Besides that I think, that a mirrorless model isn`t at all important for shooting many sorts of sports. A noiseless camera is important for solemn moments.

Upvote 0