Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

Thank you canon troll

Perhaps peoples saying different will not be irrational and emotional yet you saying beforehand is setting the scene for something akin to a political spin ala fake news. Or we could just say BS. Plus how about your contradictions with the 7D line testimonial you just gave and the calling the latest iteration of the 5D long in tooth? Long according to whom? One person?

If you have ideas and expertise on how to shorten high end camera body R&D and tooling cycles, I bet Canon is chomping at the bit to have you on the engineering team. My point is, your desires and wants are selfish and unrealistic. Not that there's anything wrong with that on a rumors forum, in fact it's a daily occurrence. But once again just because something happens time and time again doesn't make it correct.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
heh...Ari Hazeghi is that you? (for those that don't know Ari and Art Morris mentioned this when they made the public switch from Canon to Nikon)

I think it's important to remember that this use case is extremely rare, subjective and only occurs in about 5% of BIF shots (according to Ari anyway).

In reality if you are missing shots because the 1dxII AF is not good enough I would first look at your long lens technique and system calibration and stability. Most of the time that is where the problem lies.
I like my 1DX2 but the AF is a step behind it's competition from Nikon. Thumb pumping the AF to regain focus is my routine. It is not rare but common when shooting birds against a contrasty background. I don't think Ari was saying that losing focus occurs in only 5% of the BIF shots. Art was particularly frustrated with the 1DX2 for BIF.

Upvote 0
I like my 1DX2 but the AF is a step behind it's competition from Nikon. Thumb pumping the AF to regain focus is my routine. It is not rare but common when shooting birds against a contrasty background. I don't think Ari was saying that losing focus occurs in only 5% of the BIF shots. Art was particularly frustrated with the 1DX2 for BIF.

My experience too. Would often miss shots that were dead easy and get shots that were tough. The easy ones p!ssed me off no end. I know a guy that takes bird tours to Iceland to shoot puffins amongst other things and as a die hard Canon guy said he rarely got many keepers. I know I struggled with the 1DX. He's since switched to D5 and now gets 80% keep[ers. All the Canon users this year still using 1DXII had very poor hit rates. Even my D500 could do better than the 1DX in certain circumstances. 1DXIII needs to fix this behaviour to be taken seriously by a lot of birders again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have a feeling that the “complainers “of the 1dxII AF have not really understood the AF system. It is a very complex system, with different preset cases that is highly customisable based on your needs. Once you get a hang of this everything is much controllable and easier with a tremendous hit rate. Most reviewers and users that I have found, did not study this extensively and probably are basing their reports on the basic servo mode, which is indeed subpar but not a show stopper at all.

Upvote 0
I anyone have problem with 1 DX II AF when photographing birds against busy background he should switch AF mode to "Case 2" - "continue to track subject, ignoring possible obstacles" That mode is under AF settings. Tracking sensitivity should be: -1, Accel./decel. tracking should be: 1, AF pt auto switching should be: 1. That's how I have AF set up. This is not default setup and many testers does not bother set up proper "AF case" in 1 DX II and use default "case 1" setting for casual multi purpose photography. If anyone has problem with proper AF setting he/she should download "Canon EOS-1D X Mark II AF Setting Guidebook" from Canon website. It is 148 pages book which says how complex and programmable AF system of 1 DX II is.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
My hopes:

- Viewfinder is covered with focusing points to near or at 100%
- Spot meeting can follow focusing point
- Flip up LCD for low vantage point shooting (Don't judge me :))

If these aren't available in the other Canon models, here's my money in advance!

Quick off topic question: is there a camera out there that can expose its entire sensor at high shutter speeds (i.e., 1/4000, 1/8000, etc.)

Upvote 0
My experience too. Would often miss shots that were dead easy and get shots that were tough. The easy ones p!ssed me off no end. I know a guy that takes bird tours to Iceland to shoot puffins amongst other things and as a die hard Canon guy said he rarely got many keepers. I know I struggled with the 1DX. He's since switched to D5 and now gets 80% keep[ers. All the Canon users this year still using 1DXII had very poor hit rates. Even my D500 could do better than the 1DX in certain circumstances. 1DXIII needs to fix this behaviour to be taken seriously by a lot of birders again.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am surprised and puzzled by some of these comments. I don't doubt the 1Dx2's AF system has been surpassed in some ways by newer rival bodies (although people saying a lot of the difference is in the minutiae of use cases etc doesn't surprise me either), but the idea that one "rarely gets keepers" even in that hardest of shooting scenarios, BIF, is surely an exaggeration. I don't recall people saying this a few years ago when the camera was new - it was about the best there was. And before then, when it was the 1Dx - people used that to great effect. I've managed to shoot swifts in flight with a lowly 5D3/5Ds, and the 1Dx(2) have better AF systems than those bodies. That newer, better systems have come along since doesn't suddenly mean these older bodies can't do the job any more; the newer ones may be easier to use, and the keeper rate may be higher, but let's not overstate things.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My hopes:
- Viewfinder is covered with focusing points to near or at 100%
- Flip up LCD for low vantage point shooting (Don't judge me :))

I don't think the 1-series is going to give you what you want, maybe best look elsewhere for these features (I'm not sure the physical AF point spread *can* be much wider - but of course in Live View you'll have nearly 100% coverage as in other bodies).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
single point Af is just one aspect if AF and I don’t know if there’s a big difference in that specific usage situation. Overall mirrorless has some AF advantages and the A9 has the best combinational of attributes in regards to AF. Speed, coverage, tracking etc
Don’t take my work for it
Rent one or just read some unbiased reviews

I eagerly await canons response
I’m hoping that their newest bodies show significant improvements because I’m already invested in their lenses and the adapters for canon lenses to other bodies don’t work well enough IMO

I think you are missing my point. For sports photography (my area of interest) there are no issues with the AF on the 1DXii, as testified by the thousands of them you see at almost every big sporting event. Photography is more than metrics.

I won't disagree with you that Sony has been in the lead on eye AF and the modes that let the camera do the tracking for you. I believe the recent R AF upgrade helped the EOS R a lot in that regard. My point is I never use that mode for sports and for someone to imply that the A9 is a better sports camera because it has better AF is like telling a sports car enthusiast that a Lexus is better than a Corvette because the Lexus has a better stereo system and cushier suspension.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am surprised and puzzled by some of these comments. I don't doubt the 1Dx2's AF system has been surpassed in some ways by newer rival bodies (although people saying a lot of the difference is in the minutiae of use cases etc doesn't surprise me either), but the idea that one "rarely gets keepers" even in that hardest of shooting scenarios, BIF, is surely an exaggeration. I don't recall people saying this a few years ago when the camera was new - it was about the best there was. And before then, when it was the 1Dx - people used that to great effect. I've managed to shoot swifts in flight with a lowly 5D3/5Ds, and the 1Dx(2) have better AF systems than those bodies. That newer, better systems have come along since doesn't suddenly mean these older bodies can't do the job any more; the newer ones may be easier to use, and the keeper rate may be higher, but let's not overstate things.

Correct. This idea being floated around that the D5 which was released within 12 months of the 1dxII or the A9 is somehow massively better is ludicrous. The 1dx is a flagship camera. If you can't get BIF in focus using it -- the problem isn't the camera. It's the photographer. (I say this as someone who has used the 1dxII and got more than a fair share of BIF shots).

I don't doubt the A9 and the D5 (which i have also used) are excellent bodies. But to claim they are vastly superior is either disingenuous or trollish imho.

Upvote 0
My quote is that the A9 has better Af
that remains correct
The A9 simply has a better af system
I don’t know or care about your usage. I’m talking about technology and the camera not you

The A9 is just better with af
Period

QUOTE="richperson, post: 797490, member: 383784"]
I think you are missing my point. For sports photography (my area of interest) there are no issues with the AF on the 1DXii, as testified by the thousands of them you see at almost every big sporting event. Photography is more than metrics.

I won't disagree with you that Sony has been in the lead on eye AF and the modes that let the camera do the tracking for you. I believe the recent R AF upgrade helped the EOS R a lot in that regard. My point is I never use that mode for sports and for someone to imply that the A9 is a better sports camera because it has better AF is like telling a sports car enthusiast that a Lexus is better than a Corvette because the Lexus has a better stereo system and cushier suspension.
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I have a feeling that the “complainers “of the 1dxII AF have not really understood the AF system. It is a very complex system, with different preset cases that is highly customisable based on your needs. Once you get a hang of this everything is much controllable and easier with a tremendous hit rate. Most reviewers and users that I have found, did not study this extensively and probably are basing their reports on the basic servo mode, which is indeed subpar but not a show stopper at all.

The 1DXII platform is outstanding for focus. Guess I'm a Case 4 junkie :) I do think we need more cross-points and better full frontal. I have athletes coming straight at me and then over me I have to shoot. Not many other cameras can accomplish this with a 40 to 50 mph object and the 1DXMKII does a GREAT job in every respect except when I have athletes coming straight at me. Most of us who shoot sports professionally are tied to our big whites. I can say from experience that the 2.8/300mm IS USMM II and the same 400mm as well at the 800 and 200-400 with 1.4TC all get stupid at certain focal points and distances as they are reaching their limits. AI Servo is the best thing that ever happened for me with the 1DX and 1DXII. The 2.8 300MM II on the IDXMKII IMHO is the fastest combo that Canon offers. Even with this combo, with IS on or off and shooting in bright sun at any Case 1-6 the 1DX and 1DXII cameras have particular issues even when using just the 64 center cross-pionts with objects coming straight at you.

I think 2 DIGIC 9 processors is an indication that the MKIII is going to be a beast! I would, however, like to state that I don't need more than 15fps shooting RAW. What I need is more DR. Greater MP's would be so valuable to me and allow me to use the IDXIII for portraits and fashion work too and my sports shots would benefit too. 85% of what I shoot is sports but when I need the extra MP's it would be nice if the new MKIII could rise to the occasion. Looking at new buffers, CFast Card speeds, I think 48MP's is out of the question because of Mirror Box issues. However, if Canon wanted to I think 32+ MPs is a reality. I'd rather concentrate on stills and know that capping at 30MP's has some video advantages but I'm a photographer... not a videographer. So I hope Canon will push the limits for this old dog... as it will probably be the last PRO OVF Based body this old sports photog will see,.... So let me go out with a tool that I can take in the box with me :) :) A lot of us in heaven! :) Chuck Westfall, I'll be bringing a MKIII with me! Best to all!!!!

Upvote 0
YEAH! Let's continue building antique mirror camera's .. that will win the battle for Canon.
It's like buying a brand new SUV Diesel in 2025. No one will buy it, selling it will be impossible because electric is the norm.
Mirrorless camera's (Sony ie) are so much better, faster, silent, accurate, eye-focus, extreme fps, what not?

But Canon will keep pro's waiting for a mirrorless camera until the last Canon user has made the switch to Sony too, I guess that is good strategy.
Hope they bought some Sony shares on the stock market. Because Canon is way way behind.

Nobody wants another AF-inaccurate Canon guys, except some vintage fans on this forum, or Canon marketeers posting here...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
But Canon will keep pro's waiting for a mirrorless camera until the last Canon user has made the switch to Sony too, I guess that is good strategy.
It is expected that we'll see a high resolution EOS R camera in 2020 and a 1D X equivalent EOS R in 2020 or 2021. Seeing that Canon seems to have managed to make major improvements in AF software (new EOS R firmware) and sensor read out speed (M6 II) at the same time that Sony is slowing down their spec war game (A9 II, A6600), I would be a bit more optimistic in your place.

Canon are simply large enough to afford serving the DSLR and mirrorless market simultaneously, where Sony and Nikon are more focused on mirrorless now.

Upvote 0