Industry News: Sigma fp to begin shipping on October 25, 2019

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Pricing for the Sigma fp, the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame mirrorless digital camera, will start at $1,899 USD
Ronkonkoma, NY – October 10, 2019 – Sigma Corporation of America, a leading camera, photography lens, cine lens, flash and accessories manufacturer, today announced that its all-new full-frame mirrorless digital camera, the Sigma fp, will begin shipping on October 25, 2019. The Sigma fp will retail for $1,899 USD for the camera body alone and $2,199 USD for the camera with the Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary lens from authorized Sigma dealers.

(deployads = window.deployads || []).push({});

Sigma fp Key Features:
The World’s Smallest & Lightest Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
With dimensions of 112.6×69.9×45.3mm and body weight of 370g, the all-new Sigma fp is the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame mirrorless digital camera; it is equipped with a 24.6 megapixel Bayer full-frame sensor. Purpose-built with durability in mind, its...

Continue reading...

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Sigma, known for stills, b&w and incredibly sharp detail. Does everything have to be a fully spec'd video camera? Seems like the most complaining on this site comes from video issues. Tough crowd. Happy to not have a dog in that fight, ugh.

Dunno if that was satire or not. Hard to tell sometimes.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
I just want to see the sensor readout speed measured. Since it's all electronic shutter, it has to be fast (right?). Anything less than the a9's performance would be majorly detrimental. I don't know how you'd shoot sports with this if the readout is slower than 1/400 or so, and the a9's speed is something like 1/160 using their uber-expensive stacked sensor. Guess we'll find out soon.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Sigma, known for stills, b&w and incredibly sharp detail. Does everything have to be a fully spec'd video camera? Seems like the most complaining on this site comes from video issues. Tough crowd. Happy to not have a dog in that fight, ugh.
the ad targets video users heavily and it shoots raw video. Nothing about the appearance makes it look like a serious stills camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
No and what makes you think it's a sports orientated body? Last thing on my mind when I read the specs. Hell, it has an L mount. It's a boutique body, like a Leica.
I’m sorry, I was actually trying to refer to the post you were quoting, where RayValdez said “No 4K 60P. get this outta here.”, not your post. It sounded so severe I thought it was a joke. Maybe it is? I dunno.

Re: sports body, what I mean is not that the camera is designed for sports, but that with without a fast sensor readout, it literally won’t be able to capture any fast action at all (including sports) because it has only an electronic shutter and no physical shutter.

If I’m wrong, someone please correct me.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
The problem with this camera, if you’re going to use it for stills, a lot of camera features people take for granted are optional extras. No evf, just a large loupe, hotshoe and camera grip all optional extras. No IBIS. I personally don’t use IBIS for video but when you consider the competition offer it, you think it would be wise to have it. No tilty/flippy screen which is so beneficial beyond the obvious vlogger usage. The other thing I noticed is a number of buttons like on/off switch and record are placed on the top. If you had this on a rig and needed a top handle or to place an external monitor via a cage (when they are eventually made and sold) then it would obscure the buttons. It does 12bit but not sure if that’s internal or external. Not exactly blown away by this. There are a number of other cameras for video and stills that would be a wiser purchase than this. That’s taking in people’s actual real world needs, not just the 4K 60p spec whores.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
I just want to see the sensor readout speed measured. Since it's all electronic shutter, it has to be fast (right?). Anything less than the a9's performance would be majorly detrimental. I don't know how you'd shoot sports with this if the readout is slower than 1/400 or so, and the a9's speed is something like 1/160 using their uber-expensive stacked sensor. Guess we'll find out soon.
It has 4k, and 18 fps. Didnt see max shutter speed. Makes for high speed flash shots being all electronic an interesting thing to reaearch.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
It has 4k, and 18 fps. Didnt see max shutter speed. Makes for high speed flash shots being all electronic an interesting thing to reaearch.
Right. And shutter speed is unrelated to sensor readout speed. So, at 18 fps, sensor readout speed would only need to be 1/18 (let’s call it 1/20 just because). Sensor readout of 1/20 is too slow for anything that moves. The fastest readout speed in a camera, currently, is about 1/160 in a $4K camera body (a9). Even if the Sigma matches this speed, it’s still too slow for action, and there’s no physical shutter (capable of stopping motion at 1/4000 or quicker) to fall back on.

Very curious how they’ll work with this and what the camera can actually do. The whole thing is super interesting to me, and as always, if I’m wrong, someone please correct me.

Upvote 0