Canon to add 24p recording to the Canon EOS 90D, Canon EOS RP & Canon EOS M6 Mark II

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Honest question, why is this a big deal? I heard many people complain about the missing 24p....
I produce everything in 50 or 25fps (usualy filming in 4k 50 with the 1dx II and delivering in 25fps).
This feels like the norm in europe. What is so special about 24fps over 25fps?

Nothing much. Many US people probably don't even realize that their cameras can do 25/50 fps as well. Then there's the argument that you can show 24p footage on 60 Hz screens by alternating 2 and 3 vsyncs per frame (called "3:2 pulldown) and it adds up, while 25p and 60 Hz don't play together that nicely. In Europe though we've been watching 24p movies at 25 fps for ages and I doubt anybody has noticed that they're slightly sped up. Apparently another argument is that 25p is more prone to flickering when filmed under 60 Hz AC lighting. And if you do serious multi-cam 24p production then it's of course easier to match footage when everything is shot at same frame rate.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Honest question, why is this a big deal? I heard many people complain about the missing 24p....
I produce everything in 50 or 25fps (usualy filming in 4k 50 with the 1dx II and delivering in 25fps).
This feels like the norm in europe. What is so special about 24fps over 25fps?
25/50 is a PAL/SECAM standard. 24p and 30/60 are NTSC (mostly North American) standards, to oversimplify. Shooting 25 fps here makes very little sense unless it is for a majority PAL/SECAM audience.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
25/50 is a PAL/SECAM standard. 24p and 30/60 are NTSC (mostly North American) standards, to oversimplify. Shooting 25 fps here makes very little sense unless it is for a majority PAL/SECAM audience.

PAL and NTSC are pretty much obsolete artifacts of the analog era. Digital displays have their own refresh rates (typically 60 Hz) and it's a media player's job to figure out how to best reproduce whatever frame rate it is given.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Damn, that made a lot of sense. Bravo!
Actually it makes no sense. I would not be surprised to learn that the embedded costs of software development and implementation are higher than that of the hardware.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Actually it makes no sense. I would not be surprised to learn that the embedded costs of software development and implementation are higher than that of the hardware.

Well, this comment seems to have touched a nerve! The other brands do it. No one at Sony or Fuji is leaving major software features out of a camera for any of the reasons you and others suggest.

People make excuses for Canon and pretend they know how a host of things work, from software development to sales, when the evidence is right in front of us. If it were actually infeasible to cram as many software features as possible into a camera, then Canon wouldn’t be the outlier — but they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Does it? Sounds as if producing software (or other non-material intellectual property) doesn't require involving time, money and people.
Anyway, what we have now (on the market) is a result of a subtle balance between what we want, what we are going to eventually pay for, and what the producers have to and want to offer (like a rope pulling). In this context, I don't think a greedy approach (♫I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now ♫) is sustainable for both, the consumers and producers.
Only on Canon Rumors do consumers bend over backwards to justify the actions of a multinational corporation looking for ways to take more of their money. Rest assured, this unholy blend of capitalist apologism and religious devotion to a brand looks as insane to anyone watching as it is invisible to those participating.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Only on Canon Rumors do consumers bend over backwards to justify the actions of a multinational corporation looking for ways to take more of their money. Rest assured, this unholy blend of capitalist apologism and religious devotion to a brand looks as insane to anyone watching as it is invisible to those participating.

You can't be serious...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No one at Sony or Fuji is leaving major software features out of a camera for any of the reasons you and others suggest.
Just how would you know what Sony or Fuji are holding back on? Hmmmm????? Fact is, you don't. You just assume the whole bag of tricks is already there and not being held back for the next model.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Well, this comment seems to have touched a nerve! The other brands do it. No one at Sony or Fuji is leaving major software features out of a camera for any of the reasons you and others suggest.

People make excuses for Canon and pretend they know how a host of things work, from software development to sales, when the evidence is right in front of us. If it were actually infeasible to cram as many software features as possible into a camera, then Canon wouldn’t be the outlier — but they are.

But I *do* know how hardware, software, product development (and even a little bit of the sales process) work. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You’re right, that sucks. I’m obviously in favor of software functionality being free to consumers who have already sunk thousands of dollars into a camera body.
It's quite possible that with content-aware autofocus we will soon see a subscription-based model. If you want your autofocus to not lag behind your neighbor's, you will need to pay monthly.

• Wow
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's quite possible that with content-aware autofocus we will soon see a subscription-based model. If you want your autofocus to not lag behind your neighbor's, you will need to pay monthly.

I should hope the main question in most peoples' mind is "is this autofocus good enough for what I want to do with it?" rather than "Is it better than my neighbor's?"

I can hope that all I want but I know its rarely true.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As silly as it was to shank so basic a feature that has been in Canon DSLRs for 10 years, it equally heartening to see Canon responding to legitimate desires by its user base. I know there are a lot of wish lists on this forum which we can all have debates over, but this one was an easy fix and really should have been there to begin with. Lots of other “upgrades” in video going from the RP to the R without having to downgrade the RP further by eliminating the most easily basic and widely used video frame rate.

Absolutely. Credit where credit is due. They must have heard an earful from customers about it.

Upvote 0
Just how would you know what Sony or Fuji are holding back on? Hmmmm????? Fact is, you don't. You just assume the whole bag of tricks is already there and not being held back for the next model.

I won't speak to Sony, but Fuji adds new features all the time with their "Kaizen" firmware updates. So, yeah-- they're really not holding that much back. And they certainly are not intentionally leaving out a cinema frame rate that's been in all their cameras for years.

Upvote 0