The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2016
You mean there aren't enough customers like myself who are very happy to have both options? For different purposes? Canon should just go cold turkey with a system that is working great for many, and a system that includes a huge catalog of great lenses that can be used on the new mirrorless? Hmmm...

If Canon is offering both, along with incredible, industry leading prime lenses for mirrorless right now, why would that be a reason to migrate to another company? How does the choice to go mirrorless get diminished by Canon offering one more, at least, generation of dSLR? Please help me follow the logic!
Because some people are fair whether friends. They want the newest, and they want it NOW! There are those who switch systems every few years because of the newest body, or lens. They just don’t get that every major manufacturer has excellent equipment, and that most any of it is suitable for anything they want to do. I like Canon, and I’ve been using it since the F1 came out, and I’m not interested in switching.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Makes me wonder how well the R is being adopted by existing 5D users which must still account for a significant portion of wedding and event photographers. Lots of chatter about the new R bodies and lenses on-line but I can't say I've ever seen one out "in the wild". Of course, I rarely see any interchangeable cameras these days so I don't suppose that means very much. This might be the first 5D in the line that I don't buy. Not saying it won't be a great camera; just not sure what it can do better than my 5D Mark IV. I hadn't expected to buy any more DSLR's but maybe Canon still has a few DSLR tricks up their sleeves.

edit: I understand that Canon wants to please all of their constituents but there is a risk of looking indicisive regarding their transition to the RF mount.

Personally, as long as Canon seems to have a "foot in each boat" I don't see my self committing to the new R/RF line. I don't see why I should be committing to a new proprietary lens mount when Canon seems to be hedging it's bets. Just my opinion. Those new RF lenses are pretty nice. YMMV.
It takes a while before people move over in large numbers to a new mount with all that entails. If this is true, then yes, Canon is hedging its bets. But I’d bet that it will be the last incarnation of the 5D series. Same thing for the 1Ds when it comes out next year.

the future is mirrorless. Everything is dumping, where it can, mechanical for electronic. That’s been happening for decades, and it won’t stop.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't expect a EOS R MK II for a couple of years unless Canon has found a way to substantially improve its performance.

Seeing how much the M6II/90D sensor has improved over the previous gen, using that tech combined with a digic 9 would be a big performance boost.
Having said that, does Canon want the R to be on a 2 year cycle?

Upvote 0
It takes a while before people move over in large numbers to a new mount with all that entails. If this is true, then yes, Canon is hedging its bets. But I’d bet that it will be the last incarnation of the 5D series. Same thing for the 1Ds when it comes out next year.

the future is mirrorless. Everything is dumping, where it can, mechanical for electronic. That’s been happening for decades, and it won’t stop.
You're probably right, but I'd still be ticked if I laid out $8k or so for Canon's new RF Trinity and then Canon dropped some amazing new EF mount DSLR/Hybrid thingy that was incompatible with my shiny new lenses. I'm not saying it's likely to happen but I've been around a bit too and stranger things have happened. As long as Canon keeps developing EF mount bodies and selling incompatible RF lenses it's a significant risk IMO. Enough to keep me on the sidelines for a while yet.

Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
Stuff to look forward to. I haven't bought the mirrorless stuff and as long as Canon keeps making great DSLRs, I might just stick around with DSLRs. Every DSLR has a mirrorless in it, it is just more rugged, less vulnerable to dust and less power-thirsty.
EF glass is still great for years to come. Then there is also high-end EF glass like Zeiss (ZE). RF is no doubt great, but honestly, since I don't shoot with 80+ MP at large apertures, I won't make use of its additional sharpness wide open... not to talk about the pricing.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Who wouldn't be surprised if it has IBIS? Or is that a nonstarter because it would rob sales from the rumored 1DX III with IBIS?

Not to spoil the party, but a friend just called. Sobering! He is older and has had a recent health setback. Long time Canon FF shooter, but he is excited about his new Oly coming today. One reason: IBIS. He doesn't want to wait any longer, and he can't believe the latest EOS M (VI) didn't include true IBIS.

Many of Canon's customers in the USA who have the wherewithal are getting to the point where IBIS is a priority now. I'd be willing to bet quite a few experienced photographers here can see that time on the horizon for themselves. I can.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Stuff to look forward to. I haven't bought the mirrorless stuff and as long as Canon keeps making great DSLRs, I might just stick around with DSLRs. Every DSLR has a mirrorless in it, it is just more rugged, less vulnerable to dust and less power-thirsty.
EF glass is still great for years to come. Then there is also high-end EF glass like Zeiss (ZE). RF is no doubt great, but honestly, since I don't shoot with 80+ MP at large apertures, I won't make use of its additional sharpness wide open... not to talk about the pricing.
Believe you me, the RF lens sharpness wide open is very apparent at f/1.2 on the 30mp R. While the RP is more vulnerable to dust, the R is absolutely not. It has a mechanical shutter that closes when one changes lenses. I'd be happy to see performance comparisons between the RF and Zeiss (ZE) lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
You're probably right, but I'd still be ticked if I laid out $8k or so for Canon's new RF Trinity and then Canon dropped some amazing new EF mount DSLR/Hybrid thingy that was incompatible with my shiny new lenses. I'm not saying it's likely to happen but I've been around a bit too and stranger things have happened. As long as Canon keeps developing EF mount bodies and selling incompatible RF lenses it's a significant risk IMO. Enough to keep me on the sidelines for a while yet.
No company can keep everybody happy. That’s why there are a number of companies treading the same circle around the millstone. The products are more similar than different.

but a company needs to look at the overall market. If they think DSLRs are dying, they won’t produce more, if they think something has changed, they might. A combo is very unlikely. It would need to have about the same back distance as the EF mount, so what’s the point? They would just use the EF mount, maybe adding a few contacts. But I really don’t see it happening. It would be too weird.

remember the discussions we had here about whether Canon would use the EF mount, or move to a new one? That’s been decided. There’s no going back now.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Not to spoil the party, but a friend just called. Sobering! He is older and has had a recent health setback. Long time Canon FF shooter, but he is excited about his new Oly coming today. One reason: IBIS. He doesn't want to wait any longer, and he can't believe the latest EOS M (VI) didn't include true IBIS.

It was my grandfather's dying wish to have a Canon with IBIS, and sadly he did not live to see it. He had been bedridden for years and was mostly senile, but the only thing that cheered him up was reading spec sheets. We tried buying him a Canon R, but he just threw it on the floor and yelled "IBIS!" loud enough for the entire hospital to hear him.

The saddest part of the story though, were his dying words. He called his daughter closer, she had to go right up to his ear as his voice was fading, and he whispered "I'm switching to Sony." With that, he left us forever.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.
As an outdoor stills shooter, I see only one advantage of Sony over Canon: the sensors.
Kodak moment? Canon is already in the mirrorless game, and optimizing through parallell development of tech otherwise almost identical.
What you seem to suggest it yielding to the hype madness created by youtubers and trolls.
What's the next exclusive future, cell phone cameras? In light of that, all dedicated cameras might be in that Kodak-land already. Yet we enjoy using them and prefer them big time.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Who wouldn't be surprised if it has IBIS? Or is that a nonstarter because it would rob sales from the rumored 1DX III with IBIS?

Many of Canon's customers in the USA who have the wherewithal are getting to the point where IBIS is a priority now. I'd be willing to bet quite a few experienced photographers here can see that time on the horizon for themselves. I can.
I have an Olympus M4/3. If I could pry it from my wife's automatic only fingers I'd have sold it already. PITA to hold and the menu system is atrocious. That said: The IBIS works very well. I'd imagine the R II will have IBIS. If so, I'll be getting one for sure.

Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
Believe you me, the RF lens sharpness wide open is very apparent at f/1.2 on the 30mp R. While the RP is more vulnerable to dust, the R is absolutely not. It has a mechanical shutter that closes when one changes lenses. I'd be happy to see performance comparisons between the RF and Zeiss (ZE) lenses.
Shutter mech is (1) a dust generator itself and (2) a pretty delicate and sensitive part of a camera. Let's see what the longevity of the R is going to be compared to 5D4.

Comparisons between RF and Zeiss, both Milvus and Otus, would be awesome to see.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.