The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Internally as previously mentioned I do agree that the 90D is the better camera, but the pro nature photographers I know want the ruggedness of a 7D II style body. Your have already stated the only real downgrade (to the 90D) is in its ruggedness, and that a
"A "true replacement" with an RF mount will not have OVF, which will be a complete turn off for many action and nature photographers, and would not in our minds be a successor to a 7DII.

So where do you see the future upgrade path for them ?
Sony has shown that mirrorless AF can work, but it's not for everyone. We simply do not know the future plans of Canon and Nikon. I have said a couple of times that I think the hybrid 90D like situation may be a way forward for a particular market, and we might be seeing DSLRs for far longer than many here have confidently predicted their imminent death.

Upvote 0
But also, canon need to look at other faults or complaints about the 5d4 that came up in reviews and fix them, give people NOTHING to complain about and implement the focusing system of the eos r ( with v1.4 firmware) and even improve on that even further. But also come in at a reasonable price point.
Is that all - come on, give them a real challenge at least! :D

- Just kidding - I agree with you that those would be great goals, and I for one am looking forward to an upgrade (skipped 5DIV and have been humming and aaahing for about 12-18 months).

Cheers

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
With so many camera lines, they married the 80D and 7D line into the 90D
They dropped the 7D line, folks just assumed it was merged into the XXD series. Not so. It was never an official Canon intention but culturally it happened. So, like most things, there's no convincing some people.

Sometimes things go away without a replacement. Why shooters can't accept or grasp that is beyond me, but why Canon has no higher tier crop fast fps is also beyond me. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Sony has shown that mirrorless AF can work, but it's not for everyone. We simply do not know the future plans of Canon and Nikon. I have said a couple of times that I think the hybrid 90D like situation may be a way forward for a particular market, and we might be seeing DSLRs for far longer than many here have confidently predicted their imminent death.

I think that may be the case as well. The ability to view a landscape image I have just captured in the viewfinder would be a major advantage for me, but I will be sticking with mirrored camera's until Canon release a suitable mirrorless camera with similar dimensions (for ease of use), weight (for balance when using EF lenses. I won't be upgrade them in a harry) and robustnance to my 5D mk IV. If the R II and similar R type cameras continue to be smaller and lighter than there mirrored equivalent's I will be in a similar position to the pro nature photographers I mentioned, so would sticking with mirrored camera's for as long as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Another Kodak moment: Indecisiveness to move boldly into the future of the marketplace.
They had the spirit in the early 2000s, but they have seemed to have lost their way.
It is the primary reason I have finally migrated to Sony in the last month. I want a company firmly fixed on the present and the future, not one with trying to hang on to the past glory. Or a well used cripple hammer.

your views are delusional, why are you still here if you went to Sony? Leave then.
You don't just abandon 156 lenses on a platform for many customers that still use it, the DSLR is not at its culmination of development, it still has improvements to come. Canon are working to build up a new line, and what seems a parallel line that new R system still has only a hand full of lenses. When you're as big as Canon you don't just switch over night.

Sony has a way to go to make cameras that feel right, dont have little quirks and are actually durable. I for one hate the aragonmics, the cheap feel and the crappy basttery life, delay on startup, I could keep going. Have a look at any major sporting event, find me one Sony. Canon is doing this the right way and the DSLR still has a lot of life in it, you do know it shoots digital images dont you? You may like the EVF but speak for yourself, I still prefer a OVF.

So go hide in the Sony forums and gawg gawg over numbers, its something Sony people seem to love.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Canon needs a faster pace. Today's market is too dynamic for 5-year releases.
I think its 4 years on the top of the line models.
I agree with you, though its not that drastic. I got the 1DX II and it feels a bit "dated" in some of its features. Another codec option and a better touch integration (cant use touch in menu, which is silly) would be good. Also intervallometer and 4k HDMI output (only FHD). Waiting one more year for the next model feels a bit long for me.
I am in the silly situation where a C200 would be a bit overkill (I do photo AND video work, so I would love a good hybrid) but the 1DX II is a bit lacking the video front. And sadly the 5D IV, while great in photo, is quite a disaster in video mode. I think a 5D V right now would be great. A bit more resolution, a bit better video features and it would be great improvement. But waiting nearly 2 more years? brr

Upvote 0

it all depends upon sales. With DSLR sales dropping between 20-30% every year, there will come a point where it makes no financial sense to put so much money into new body and lens designs. If they space out new cameras to five, or even six years, but space out mirrorless designs to every three or four, those DSLRs will get dated very quickly, dropping sales even more quickly.

of course, that assumes that mirrorless can hold the line in sales. If it can’t, all bets are off.

Upvote 0
it all depends upon sales. With DSLR sales dropping between 20-30% every year, there will come a point where it makes no financial sense to put so much money into new body and lens designs. If they space out new cameras to five, or even six years, but space out mirrorless designs to every three or four, those DSLRs will get dated very quickly, dropping sales even more quickly.

of course, that assumes that mirrorless can hold the line in sales. If it can’t, all bets are off.

The general decline in camera sales largely due to the popularity of Smartphone cameras at the lower end of the market accounts for much of that, the key will be how quickly/many enthusiast and pro photographer make the switch to the mirrorless R mount cameras. Until Canon release a bigger, heavier, more robust mirrorless camera that won't be me.

Upvote 0
The general decline in camera sales largely due to the popularity of Smartphone cameras at the lower end of the market accounts for much of that, the key will be how quickly/many enthusiast and pro photographer make the switch to the mirrorless R mount cameras. Until Canon release a bigger, heavier, more robust mirrorless camera that won't be me.
It won’t be me either. Right now, I’m still happy with my 5Dmk IV. But that happiness wanes as time goes by. I also admit that I’m slavering over the 28-70 f2.

but it’s odd how so many people are willing to either give up, or not buy in the first place, a moderate DSLR, isn’t it? It’s not just the lowest priced models that are declining, after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
your views are delusional, why are you still here if you went to Sony? Leave then.

So go hide in the Sony forums and gawg gawg over numbers, its something Sony people seem to love.
Exactly. Canon remains the clear and overwhelming choice of most professionals.

I’ll never get it.

There are a handful of brand names today that I, personally, perceive as being absolute junk. It’s just MY opinion. Hyundai and KIA cars, Payless shoes, Huawei phones, Sony electronics (all of them). All strike me as being cheap schlock that I have no interest in buying. I’m secure in my firm belief that every car, shoe, phone, stereo, television or camera I own is superior in everyday way to anything from any of these brands.

And because I’m secure about my decisions I don’t feel the need to run to their brand pages or advertising posts or forums and crow about how much better my stuff is. I could care less about their junk.

As the song says: Real gangtahs don’t flex nuts.

Cause...

Real gangstahs know they got ‘em.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Thank you for this! I finally have a use for the bar and a simple way to review and rate photos.
I have a different use for the touch-bar: one swipe is jump to 10 times zoom, one touch is to five times zoom. I find this very useful, especially when focusing manually.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Or it means they lied through their teeth about the 80D and are now telling a story closer to the truth about the 90D. I don’t read DPReviews ridiculousness and haven’t since they out right lied about the 5DSr in their review of that camera, the reviewer even came here to try to justify his lies and failed miserably.

Just look at trustworthy sites like Photonstophotos, who are completely open about their methodology, and show me where there is any kind of measurable difference. I’m not saying the 90D isn’t a great camera, I am saying for 80D owners looking to get a measurable increase in IQ they will be disappointed. They will get tons of other improvements, just not IQ.

"Perception is reality."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.