“Pro” EOS R camera coming in March 2020? [CR0]

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
My setup up until recently was the 5DM4 and the 5DM2 as my backup. I bought the EOS R 2 weeks ago to replace the 5DM2, but with all the rumors of a more pro version R, I am considering returning it and just getting the upgrade when it releases.

The R will probably give you better results than the 5d II has a newer sensor and improved AF with the new firmware. I don't think the R has any benefit over the 5dIV unless the AF is a better with the new firmware. If you don't have a big need for a new backup at this time, you might consider returning. If you are one of those folks that waits for prices on new gear to drop, I would keep the camera. Even if a new camera is announced next year, it will be 2021 before you see any real price movement. I usually carry a 1dx II + 5d IV, but I sold my 5d IV last month. I don't have any major wildlife trips until Fall 2020, so I decided I could do without the 5d IV and tiger resell value. I did buy a M6 II as a temporary backup and to use on a couple of big recreation trips I have scheduled in 2020. I plan to purchase an R in 2020 if they deliver a high MPX model or an updated R II. I borrowed an R from CPS and it is a very nice camera even though it was using the old firmware.

Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
The R will probably give you better results than the 5d II has a newer sensor and improved AF with the new firmware. I don't think the R has any benefit over the 5dIV unless the AF is a better with the new firmware. If you don't have a big need for a new backup at this time, you might consider returning. If you are one of those folks that waits for prices on new gear to drop, I would keep the camera. Even if a new camera is announced next year, it will be 2021 before you see any real price movement. I usually carry a 1dx II + 5d IV, but I sold my 5d IV last month. I don't have any major wildlife trips until Fall 2020, so I decided I could do without the 5d IV and tiger resell value. I did buy a M6 II as a temporary backup and to use on a couple of big recreation trips I have scheduled in 2020. I plan to purchase an R in 2020 if they deliver a high MPX model or an updated R II. I borrowed an R from CPS and it is a very nice camera even though it was using the old firmware.

I agree. I use my 5dM4 for just about everything and I primarily focus on video work for what I do, but do photos when requested. The R is great but If there's going to be an upgrade in a few months, I can either get my money back now or try and resell in a few months for as close as I can get. The 5DM2 isn't great since it's outdated. I've been waiting to invest in mirrorless until the Mirroless 1D came out, but when I took the sensor to get cleaned at Canon on one of my bodies, they talked me into the R. I just hate that I don't have dual card slots, no joystick, the Touch Bar I'm kind of on the fence about. But it did have that digital IS, pushed 4k video to my ATOMOS, and the rotating screen for when I used my Ronin.

It's just a lot of PRO's and CON's and am ok with waiting FOR NOW. I'm just waiting on Canon to finally confirm something.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
My setup up until recently was the 5DM4 and the 5DM2 as my backup. I bought the EOS R 2 weeks ago to replace the 5DM2, but with all the rumors of a more pro version R, I am considering returning it and just getting the upgrade when it releases.

I'd keep the R, you will soon like it more than your 5D bodies. I know I do....I bet your 5D4 will be your backup within 1 or 2 shoots.

Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
I'd keep the R, you will soon like it more than your 5D bodies. I know I do....I bet your 5D4 will be your backup within 1 or 2 shoots.
I definitely do like it for most situations. It feels clean and streamlined and just looks and feels better. It's just missing a couple features I wish it had. If I had the money to spare, I would keep it and just get the upgrade as well, if it warranted it.

But at least my plan is to get a "pro(5D)" EOS R to replace my 5DM2 and then the Mirrorless "1D" to replace my 5DM4.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
For a high Rez camera, I’d prefer something in the range of 60MP rather than 80MP. I prefer a higher pixel quality than more pixels. 60 is more than enough for most use.

if we need even higher Rez, I’d prefer Canon go the pixel shift way as Panasonic has done with their new FF system. That’s spactacular, according to those who have used, and tested it. In reality, really high Rez requires a tripod anyway, so that shouldn’t be a problem for an excellent implementation of pixel shift, which also gives better s/n and dynamic range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
It's the tech that determines the pixel "quality", not the size.
What? Bigger sensing sites will always give better pixel quality, assuming that the manufacturer knows what it’s doing. All of the sensor manufacturers know what they’re doing. Canon was late to the game of putting the amp on chip, as Sony had done years earlier, so they’ve been playing catch-up. But their pixel quality has been going up too.

Sony has no major tech advantage, if any. It’s just experience with a particular technology. At some point, there will be no significant per pixel improvements. Right now, they capture almost all the photons arriving through the lens. Anything new has to eliminate the filter. That accounts for a good stop and a half, and sometimes more, degradation in the amount of light reaching the sensor, because filters are not efficient. The Foveon does that, but that design has other problems.

it would be great if regular cameras could do the amount of computational work that the iPhone and others can do. But properly done pixel shift can overcome many disadvantage—if done correctly, as Panasonic seems to have done. Yes, you do need a tripod, but again, all really high Rez photography needs a tripod.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Pretty much my experience as well. I bought the R for one reason only – silent shutter. I could not use the 1Dx II in meetings and events where I needed to be discrete and decided it would be a good second body to the 5D IV. I am now using it for almost everything, with the 5DIV now serving as the second body. The 1Dx II is now relegated to just sports. If the 1Dx III has better autofocus, I will buy it. But, I doubt if I buy a 5D V. I'll keep using the IV until the "R II" or "R Sports" comes out and then add a second R.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Pretty much my experience as well. I bought the R for one reason only – silent shutter. I could not use the 1Dx II in meetings and events where I needed to be discrete and decided it would be a good second body to the 5D IV. I am now using it for almost everything, with the 5DIV now serving as the second body. The 1Dx II is now relegated to just sports. If the 1Dx III has better autofocus, I will buy it. But, I doubt if I buy a 5D V. I'll keep using the IV until the "R II" or "R Sports" comes out and then add a second R.

I had a chance to test a loaner R at the US Open Tennis, but it was prior to the 1.4 firmware update. I liked the camera, but the AF was definitely not up to the 5dIV. I am usually pretty good at nailing the ball with a 5dIV when it is close / hits the racquet, but I found it to be a real challenge with the R. I think some of it may have been latency in the EVF as I shot a burst. I know the R is not a sports camera, but if you are using the 1.4 firmware can you give me your thoughts on how the AF compares to the 1dx II & 5dIV. Mainly acquiring focus lock and tracking AF. I found it a little slow to acquire focus and hunt on the version prior to 1.4. I would buy an R if I had an immediate need, but I have time to wait for an R II or the high mpx version.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I had a chance to test a loaner R at the US Open Tennis, but it was prior to the 1.4 firmware update. I liked the camera, but the AF was definitely not up to the 5dIV. I am usually pretty good at nailing the ball with a 5dIV when it is close / hits the racquet, but I found it to be a real challenge with the R. I think some of it may have been latency in the EVF as I shot a burst. I know the R is not a sports camera, but if you are using the 1.4 firmware can you give me your thoughts on how the AF compares to the 1dx II & 5dIV. Mainly acquiring focus lock and tracking AF. I found it a little slow to acquire focus and hunt on the version prior to 1.4. I would buy an R if I had an immediate need, but I have time to wait for an R II or the high mpx version.

I really haven't used it for sports. To be honest, I tried it for like five minutes one night and decided I was better off with the 1Dx. I did use it the other night as the second body, fitted with the 24-105 and shooting wide shots, but I don't have the luxury of failing to get the main shots, so I just rely on the tried and true 1Dx for the main action shots.

Here is what I am talking about as far as wide or color shots. Shot Friday night in my college's very poorly lit swimming pool ISO 6400. However, I wasn't using eye focus. Honestly, I'm not real kicked in the head about the firmware update for sports. It it probably fine if you only have one subject, but with multiple faces in sports, I don't think it's really there yet. Or maybe, I'm just incompetent.

Web_Swimming-4M5A0617-1.jpg

Upvote 0
I’ve just sold my last Canon camera but still have my glass waiting and praying they can deliver something enticing. I’m not expecting anything remotely 1 series AF performance my March, but could believe something much better than the EOS R which shouldn’t be hard. 60MP sounds weird ass I thought the high MP 5dS mirrorless was getting a FF version of the M6II sensor at 83MP, which IMO is stupidly high. I’m not even interested in upgrading my Sony A7RIII to the RIV have no real desire for 61MP. But if they could make a 60MP 1 series class camera then I'll put both my kidneys on ebay.

Anyway this all sounds like hogwash.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I haven't used it for sports but for bird photography in general, birds in flight being my main focus.
I'll start saying that for large birds in flight there's no problem with focus accuracy and tracking. I think it's even better than the 5D Mark IV which I also use, along with the 1DX.
For small birds in flight is a different story. Because they're so tiny and fast, the main issue here is following them in the EVF. I have to say, it sucks compared to the OVF!
The EVF lag will make it very hard to keep the tiny subject in focus and yes, I did disable the image review, so it's not that to blame.
This is the main limitation for fast real fast action photos. I'm a very experienced sports photographer and I had excellent results with the 1DX and some nice ones with the 5D Mark IV and it has always been a pleasure to follow the action through the optical viewfinder.
I suppose nowadays, any mirrorless EVF sucks for this purpose, maybe with the exception of the Sony A9, which is in its own league.

To summarize, Canon EOS R's focusing tracking accuracy is awesome...that is when you actually see your subject. I wouldn't mind using it for any sports photography, maybe with the exception of volleyball, which is crazy difficult, even with the 1DX.
I hope this will help you take a more informed decision.
Here is an example of a burst with the EOS R. The shots are in a continuous sequence, one after each other.
_MG_0296.jpg

_MG_0297.jpg
_MG_0298.jpg

_MG_0299.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon has said they only consider a 1 series pro a camera that makes no excuses. I bet most pros use something other than an 1 series though.
Well, one person's 'Pro' is another persons occasionally paid enthusiast. The definition of the word is debated quite frequently.
Now, if you think a majority of pro's who shoot weddings and studio work are those numbers you speak of then sure but anyone needing top 'in the field' capability or sports/wildlife pro's then I have to disagree,. MAYBE a D5, but that's a far 2nd place. The 1D line is king.It's also hotly debated that the 5D line is professional. I have one, it can be used for professional work, I did so for a few years but I wouldn't say unequivocally that it is pro. Only the 1D.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I haven't used it for sports but for bird photography in general, birds in flight being my main focus.
I'll start saying that for large birds in flight there's no problem with focus accuracy and tracking. I think it's even better than the 5D Mark IV which I also use, along with the 1DX.
For small birds in flight is a different story. Because they're so tiny and fast, the main issue here is following them in the EVF. I have to say, it sucks compared to the OVF!
The EVF lag will make it very hard to keep the tiny subject in focus and yes, I did disable the image review, so it's not that to blame.
This is the main limitation for fast real fast action photos. I'm a very experienced sports photographer and I had excellent results with the 1DX and some nice ones with the 5D Mark IV and it has always been a pleasure to follow the action through the optical viewfinder.
I suppose nowadays, any mirrorless EVF sucks for this purpose, maybe with the exception of the Sony A9, which is in its own league.

To summarize, Canon EOS R's focusing tracking accuracy is awesome...that is when you actually see your subject. I wouldn't mind using it for any sports photography, maybe with the exception of volleyball, which is crazy difficult, even with the 1DX.
I hope this will help you take a more informed decision.
Here is an example of a burst with the EOS R. The shots are in a continuous sequence, one after each other.
View attachment 187184

View attachment 187185
View attachment 187186

View attachment 187187

Very nice shots! Is the best way to view the R with firmware 1.4 that it will equal or exceed 5dIV AF in every aspect with the exception of small, fast moving object that are impacted by the delay of the EVF?

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Well, one person's 'Pro' is another persons occasionally paid enthusiast. The definition of the word is debated quite frequently.
Now, if you think a majority of pro's who shoot weddings and studio work are those numbers you speak of then sure but anyone needing top 'in the field' capability or sports/wildlife pro's then I have to disagree,. MAYBE a D5, but that's a far 2nd place. The 1D line is king.It's also hotly debated that the 5D line is professional. I have one, it can be used for professional work, I did so for a few years but I wouldn't say unequivocally that it is pro. Only the 1D.

I catered weddings throughout 2017 and 2018 and in 60-odd ceremonies at different venues, would say 80% of photographers used Canon 5D/6D bodies and 20% used Sony, Nikon, or Canon 1D-series bodies. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Very nice shots! Is the best way to view the R with firmware 1.4 that it will equal or exceed 5dIV AF in every aspect with the exception of small, fast moving object that are impacted by the delay of the EVF?
Thanks!
I see the question mark so I suppose there's a question but I'm not sure I understand it:
"Is the best way to view the R with firmware 1.4 that it will equal or exceed 5dIV AF in every aspect with the exception of small, fast moving object that are impacted by the delay of the EVF?"
If you are asking about the AF accuracy compared to the 5D Mark IV I think the EOS R is better. I realized that with this camera it's either you get the shot in focus or you don't get it at all. There have been very few shots in so-so focus.
The speed is not that great but it's enough, even for sports and BIF.

Upvote 0