A bit more about the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update 2: Canon has officially announced the development of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III. Some original rumors about the camera look to be incorrect. There will not be a new battery and the top-down LCD looks to be the same. What is interesting is the new AF-ON/Smart Controller button, we have seen it in a photo we’re unable to publish and the button area is a lot bigger than on previous cameras. The AF-ON/Smart Controller button is there in horizontal and vertical orientation.
Update: Almost immediately after we posted this report, we were told by an anonymous source that Canon will address the EOS-1D X Mark III very soon. Is there a development announcement coming? We have not confirmed this with any known sources yet. 
A few weeks ago we reported the first rumored...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/a-bit-more-about-the-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-cr2/]Continue reading...

Last edited:

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
The battery will have a “feature” of an ID chip, which allows the camera to identify it. This very awesome consumer-friendly feature will unfortunately have the side effect of preventing third party batteries from being used in the camera. But don’t worry, the money you don’t save from buying third party batteries will allow Canon to charge even higher premiums on their batteries. It is win-win really, if you think about it, and you are Canon.

(this is pure speculation)

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The battery will have a “feature” of an ID chip, which allows the camera to identify it. This very awesome consumer-friendly feature will unfortunately have the side effect of preventing third party batteries from being used in the camera. But don’t worry, the money you don’t save from buying third party batteries will allow Canon to charge even higher premiums on their batteries. It is win-win really, if you think about it, and you are Canon.

(this is pure speculation)
Can't understand someone paying $6,000 for a camera and then trying to save a few bucks using an inferior third-party battery.

I just hope it has the same interchangeability as the LP-E6N. (Battery compatible with previous 1Dx series and camera can use older model batteries as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Still 61-point? Hmm... I’m way too spoiled with R to be excited about that.
This exactly. I’m sure it’s going to be a very good camera for a specific target audience (for example the news agencies, sports photographers, etc), but we’re reaching the limits of what can be done with dslr’s. Mirrorless has a lot more upward potential.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Can't understand someone paying $6,000 for a camera and then trying to save a few bucks using an inferior third-party battery.

I just hope it has the same interchangeability as the LP-E6N. (Battery compatible with previous 1Dx series and camera can use older model batteries as well)
I have 2 original batteries for an insane 150€ markup each. And one third party 40€ battery.
One of the batteries has some problems where it causes camera shut downs and even jumps from 40% to zero. Fun fact... it is NOT the cheap battery...
Also, the battery life while shooting is in my experience similar and sometimes even worse than on my 5D IV (I use both together for wedding photography).
Overall I must say I am very disapointed in the battery and reliabiliy of my 1D. The 5D feels somehow better field tested (not surprising, giving its selling numbers). Also, I never had any problem with any third party battery on my 5D.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

I'm with you here. I had purchased some LP-E6's off brand a while ago and they were hot garbage. Held a charge for less than half the time of the Canon-manufactured battery which was years older. From then on it has been nothing Canon batteries, and no issues at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018

Let me help.

1) Less money is less money than more money, which leaves you with more money to spend on things that leave with you with less money.
2) Not everyone has had bad luck with third party batteries.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
It's interesting that opinions on third party batteries tend to be either 1) I bought one that had an issue, therefore all of them are bad and 2) I bought one and it works well, therefore all of them are OK.
I wish some "real" brand name would make third party camera batteries, like Everready or similar, instead of mystery Chinese brands.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
It's interesting that opinions on third party batteries tend to be either 1) I bought one that had an issue, therefore all of them are bad and 2) I bought one and it works well, therefore all of them are OK.
I wish some "real" brand name would make third party camera batteries, like Everready or similar, instead of mystery Chinese brands.

I see a lot of people with opinion 1. I don't believe I've ever come across anyone with opinion 2.

Upvote 0