A bit more about the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Long time ago I only had one LPE6 battery, charged it before an important trip and took it, but forgot the charger. A small camera store in a town on the way to my destination had neither original Canon batteries, nor chargers, but they had a no-name replacement for LPE6. It was 2/3-charged and I bought it so that I had one and a half batteries on the trip.

I then used this battery for a few months and it worked fine, but then started deteriorating rapidly, it was lasting less and less after each charge until I wasn't able to charge it at all. I'd never buy such a replacement again.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Long time ago I only had one LPE6 battery, charged it before an important trip and took it, but forgot the charger. A small camera store in a town on the way to my destination had neither original Canon batteries, nor chargers, but they had a no-name replacement for LPE6. It was 2/3-charged and I bought it so that I had one and a half batteries on the trip.

I then used this battery for a few months and it worked fine, but then started deteriorating rapidly, it was lasting less and less after each charge until I wasn't able to charge it at all. I'd never buy such a replacement again.
My experience also, and with Godox batteries. They last a very long time on each charge, then after a few months they go rapidly down hill and dies.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Mirrorless is not there yet. I am still trying to get used to the focussing an tracking system. Of is not as nearly as good as the 1dx or the 5d IV. Try to get birds or even kids with the r. It is hard .... to catch a sharp picture with all that mouvement.
I would disagree with the "mirrorless" is not there yet with regards to focusing and tracking. I do agree with the getting birds with the "r" is hard. There are mirrorless cameras that have AF and tracking that are as good or better than the 1DxII and 5DIV, they just are not made by Canon. I am pretty sure Canon, at some point within the next two years, will match the best that other manufacturers have out there now. The question is will the other companies have something even better out by the time Canon brings out the high fps pro mirrorless it is working on. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Nokishita Camera just published a tweet about the registration of DS126771, a yet to be announced camera, by certification authorities. Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth 4.1 Battery is LP-E19, that of the EOS 1D X Mark II if I'm not mistaken.

EHjEV91UwAEgmWS.jpg

Source:

This may cast some doubt on the rumour of a new battery with new features. And there in cast some doubt on the entire rumour. But like the 1DXII and 1DX, the camera may be backwards compatible and I have no idea what the requirements are for these overseas certification bodies in regards to listing the battery? These are usually wifi/bluetooth certifications if I'm not mistaken.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Let me help.

1) Less money is less money than more money, which leaves you with more money to spend on things that leave with you with less money.
2) Not everyone has had bad luck with third party batteries.

I purchased 2 canon batteries and 4 off brand batteries for my 10D. All still work but the off bran only last 1/2 to 1/3 the time the Canon batteries at this time.
So longevity has favored Canon for me. That said I have never had any problems with any of them and the off brand were some real cheap ones from Radio Shack. Yes, the 10D is still used, mainly as my fun on the beach camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
No it's true, sure if you are just shooting landscapes or using eye-AF on slow moving people probably fine. I'm talking fast action, where it's limited to 2-3fps with tracking, not the BS 8fps with focus locked. That's what's sad!
If you're buying the R for fast tracking action/ BIF and not getting what you desire it's your fault. Wrong tool. You don't do surgery with linemans pliers. Once again, the One camera to rule them all BS.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
As another unfounded but common sense clue, underwater housing manufacturers often get long run in times for body dimensions and button placement. AquaTech recently released an updated surf housing for the end of life1DX MkII, to me that points to the 1DX MkIII body being very similar to the previous bodies as although the Evo design will allow different camera configurations it is 20% smaller than the older Delphin , so there is less room for differences.
This may cast some doubt on the rumour of a new battery with new features. And there in cast some doubt on the entire rumour. But like the 1DXII and 1DX, the camera may be backwards compatible and I have no idea what the requirements are for these overseas certification bodies in regards to listing the battery? These are usually wifi/bluetooth certifications if I'm not mistaken.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
To be fair, at the battery gag, if you cannot afford the price of an extra battery, you probably cannot afford the camera.
This is completely absurd. I could afford to buy several 1DX MkIIs right now if I really wanted to. You know why? Because I have a very deeply entrenched habit of not spending excess money where I don't really have to.

I buy third party batteries, and at the price they cost, I can get way more of them for the same price than if I bought Canon batteries. So even if the life is not quite as good as Canon, I'm still getting more battery capacity for the money.

This trope of "well if you can afford the camera you should be able to afford the Canon batteries" sounds just like some elitist nonsense to me. None of us have unlimited resources. And even though I could buy hundreds and hundreds of official Canon batteries if I wanted to, I choose not to buy any. Because then I can put those monetary resources to use elsewhere... Towards other cameras, lenses, or even a plane ticket so I can go actually use my gear somewhere.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This is completely absurd. I could afford to buy several 1DX MkIIs right now if I really wanted to. You know why? Because I have a very deeply entrenched habit of not spending excess money where I don't really have to.

I buy third party batteries, and at the price they cost, I can get way more of them for the same price than if I bought Canon batteries. So even if the life is not quite as good as Canon, I'm still getting more battery capacity for the money.

This trope of "well if you can afford the camera you should be able to afford the Canon batteries" sounds just like some elitist nonsense to me. None of us have unlimited resources. And even though I could buy hundreds and hundreds of official Canon batteries if I wanted to, I choose not to buy any. Because then I can put those monetary resources to use elsewhere... Towards other cameras, lenses, or even a plane ticket so I can go actually use my gear somewhere.
For me, as a long time 1 series owner and user, I’d only buy 1st party batteries for my 1 series cameras, not because I have money to burn or because I am some big shot (I’m not) for me it is the same equation as insurance, if something goes wrong what is the cost to me? If by saving $60 or $80 I put $5,000 at risk of damage that doesn’t seem like a good risk/loss sum to me. On the other hand I’ll happily stick anything in my M series cameras because one, the images are not as important, and two, I save $60 x 3 or 4 and risk a comparatively modest $500.

Now the risk of damage might be small but you can bet your life that Canon won’t cover anything if they believe there was an off brand battery in the bricked 1 series, to me that isn’t a good risk reward balance.

Upvote 0

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
Is that like waiting for the flying cars that were once promised to us? Do you really have tangible data of how revolutionary ML is soon going to be over DSLRs? I cannot for the life of me think it's anything other than evolutionary. What did they say on Team Sky? Marginal Gains.

Actually flying cars are closer than you think - 2023..... https://www.uber.com/ca/en/elevate/

• Haha
Upvote 0
It's interesting that opinions on third party batteries tend to be either 1) I bought one that had an issue, therefore all of them are bad and 2) I bought one and it works well, therefore all of them are OK.
I wish some "real" brand name would make third party camera batteries, like Everready or similar, instead of mystery Chinese brands.

Duracell does. Its LP-E6 replacement got mixed reviews on Amazon UK.

Upvote 0
I'm finding it to be significantly easier with the new firmware, at least for casual portrait work. Missing my 5D Mk IV less and less...
I am the opposite way round, I primarily use the 1DX with an 85L 1.4 on it and an R (was 5D4) as the second body. I shoot pretty much the same number of images across a wedding (no point being frugal, eh!). My first 1DXii did have a faulty sensor, but as I bought it new it was replaced the same day I identified the issue. It only occurred a couple of times every couple hundred shots, but obviously enough to be an issue. Canon’s are usually very reliable and my local Pro dealer have only had that and another one returned faulty across the 1DX and 1DXii lines. I’ve had a lot of Canon cameras and that has been the only one with an issue. Could you get it tested? Would the Pro programme cover a replacement whilst it is being checked over?

Upvote 0
Thinking a bit more about this, I find it odd that Canon would create a new battery for the 1DXIII when the LP-E19 was released with the 1DXII. I wonder if that new battery feature is something really interesting or if the 1DXIII is going to be notably more power hungry than its predecessor...

I guess Canon have released a number of new batteries which have backwards compatibility in the past as minor upgrades (i.e. LP-E6 vs LP-E6N), but it seems like Canon tries to get as many years and models out of a battery as possible. I mean, the LP-E6 went into the 5D II in 2008, and only got a refresh to the N variant in 2016 with the 5DIV 8 years later. It just seems unusual to refresh a battery in one model, then refresh it again in the next model without a good reason to do so. Maybe the 1DXIII is going to have a pretty good reason for an early refresh of the battery...

Upvote 0