A bit more about the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
Jeah, I am suspecting that there is something wrong with my 1D. I am sure that one of the batteries is faulty, which I will investigate and return in the next month.
Maybe there is something wrong with the camera as well, hard to tell.
On a wedding I shoot about 1000-1500 images per camera. Usualy I use the 5D4 as my main camera and I shooting 2000 on that an 1000 on the 1D. And strangely enough, the 5D is pretty much all the time at the same battery level as the 1D - though I would expect a way better performance on the 1D.
Well, maybe the battery replacement will solve this mystery :-D

Even on my 8 year old original 1DX batteries I get over 300 images, but generally over 4500 images per battery.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Thinking a bit more about this, I find it odd that Canon would create a new battery for the 1DXIII when the LP-E19 was released with the 1DXII. I wonder if that new battery feature is something really interesting or if the 1DXIII is going to be notably more power hungry than its predecessor...

I guess Canon have released a number of new batteries which have backwards compatibility in the past as minor upgrades (i.e. LP-E6 vs LP-E6N), but it seems like Canon tries to get as many years and models out of a battery as possible. I mean, the LP-E6 went into the 5D II in 2008, and only got a refresh to the N variant in 2016 with the 5DIV 8 years later. It just seems unusual to refresh a battery in one model, then refresh it again in the next model without a good reason to do so. Maybe the 1DXIII is going to have a pretty good reason for an early refresh of the battery...
If 6k is true, I think that the 1DX III is indeed going to be quite power hungry in video mode.
I also would hate it, if it wasnt backward compatible. 150€ for a current battery is allready quite some pain in the ass

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
For me, as a long time 1 series owner and user, I’d only buy 1st party batteries for my 1 series cameras, not because I have money to burn or because I am some big shot (I’m not) for me it is the same equation as insurance, if something goes wrong what is the cost to me? If by saving $60 or $80 I put $5,000 at risk of damage that doesn’t seem like a good risk/loss sum to me. On the other hand I’ll happily stick anything in my M series cameras because one, the images are not as important, and two, I save $60 x 3 or 4 and risk a comparatively modest $500.

Now the risk of damage might be small but you can bet your life that Canon won’t cover anything if they believe there was an off brand battery in the bricked 1 series, to me that isn’t a good risk reward balance.
Your hypothetical of putting $5000 at risk by saving $60 or $80 does not seem to at all take into account the actual risk of this happening. And that's an important part of the equation if you're going to start talking about cost and risk. Has there ever actually been evidence that a third party battery permanently damaged a camera? How many times in the history of the tens of thousands of third party batteries sold? Is it even more than you can count on one hand? Even if it is saving $60 or $80 to put a $5000 camera at risk, I'd take my chances based on the low risk of that damage happening.

And regardless, as others have said, there are pretty reputable third party batteries, and then there's the absolute junk. I'd be willing to bet that any battery that has actually damaged a camera was some absolute bottom of the barrel junk.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Your hypothetical of putting $5000 at risk by saving $60 or $80 does not seem to at all take into account the actual risk of this happening. And that's an important part of the equation if you're going to start talking about cost and risk. Has there ever actually been evidence that a third party battery permanently damaged a camera? How many times in the history of the tens of thousands of third party batteries sold? Is it even more than you can count on one hand? Even if it is saving $60 or $80 to put a $5000 camera at risk, I'd take my chances based on the low risk of that damage happening.

And regardless, as others have said, there are pretty reputable third party batteries, and then there's the absolute junk. I'd be willing to bet that any battery that has actually damaged a camera was some absolute bottom of the barrel junk.
I agree. Especialy because my only battery problem so far with the 1D was with a ORIGINAL battery.
Also, I think I had like 1 problem with a third party battery with my 5D IV. The problem was just that the battery died sooner than expected. But there I tend to by original batteries.
I NEVER heard from anyone with a damaged camera due to a failing battery.
But some people have problems with 3rd party batteries, where the battery indicator is jumping around (from 40 to 0 or someting). At weddings I only use original 5D batteries.

Upvote 0
Yes I saw someone using that [EOS-R] and try to get sharp bird pics. He was really struggling
I am afraid your observation is misleading. I am using R for birds pictures and have got some very good results without added struggle, specially with the new firmware 1.4. And I am not the only one. Need proof? see the "Show your birds portraits" thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Mirrorless is not there yet. I am still trying to get used to the focussing an tracking system. Of is not as nearly as good as the 1dx or the 5d IV. Try to get birds or even kids with the r. It is hard .... to catch a sharp picture with all that mouvement.
My experience, coming from the 1DXII to the R, is that shooting kids moving erratically around with large apertures (f1.2-f2), the R gives me way more keepers/in focus images, and that experience was with the first EOS R firmware. The R has improved considerably with the newest firmware.

For some types of action photography, like birds in flight, a DSLR may hold an edge, and the optical viewfinder will probably be better as well. For most people and shooting scenarios though, the AF in the R outperforms every DSLR ever made.

I use the R and the 5DIV every week, and when using the 5DIV I am constantly bothered by slightly out of focus images.The constraints that comes from having to using the focus points is also bothering me a bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Powering via USB in addition to the battery would be welcome across all (the higher-end) bodies. Not even talking about charging the internal battery during this. Using a battery adapter like Tether Tools or even Canon's own AC adapters should not be necessary. And when there's a major issue, you basically lose everything since the camera shuts down - no internal battery for "backup" purposes. USB power would solve this entirely if it could switch back to the internal.

simply use this charger:
much better than canon ac charger
I can charge my batteries on the go with a usb powerbank if needed

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Shame it's going to be different battery than MK 1 and Mk 2 and be interesting to see if Canon does a dual release - 1DX MK 3 and EOS R Pro
A new battery does not make it incompatible, as in the LP-E6N vs. LP-E6.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It's interesting that opinions on third party batteries tend to be either 1) I bought one that had an issue, therefore all of them are bad and 2) I bought one and it works well, therefore all of them are OK.
I wish some "real" brand name would make third party camera batteries, like Everready or similar, instead of mystery Chinese brands.
Virtually all the battery cells come from China, South Korea, and Japan. The USA also has some big manufacturers (Tesla), but they produce far fewer cells in terms of quantity. Distribution of cells is controlled. Reputable manufacturers will not sell cells to a company unless they are considered a reliable manufacturer who agrees to use approved battery protection circuitry. Assembly and production of the final battery is mostly done in China using cells from the big cell manufacturers. There are

Unfortunately, cheating in China is a problem, cells are bought and sold on the black market. Those so called good companies have been caught using junk cells, and employees have stolen and sold good cells on the black market.

That's why Chinese batteries are so hit and miss. Its a risk even when buying from a good Chinese company because of those who cheat the company they work for can result in bad batteries hitting the market.

Some of the big companies can afford to have inspectors in the plants, and trace the components to approved sources. Still, there is a huge financial reward for cheating, so people can be bribed and paperwork altered.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

From personal experience using third party batteries in a 1D, I'd never do it again. They ran way hotter than the Canon batteries and didn't last anywhere near as long. Don't get me wrong I don't care what anybody else does with their cameras, I was just relaying my personal feeling and now experience. I consider the chance of third party battery malfunction to be higher than high quality card failure, that's why I'll always use Canon batteries in my 1 series and one card in the CFast slot and nothing in the CF slot, but that's me...

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
This exactly. I’m sure it’s going to be a very good camera for a specific target audience (for example the news agencies, sports photographers, etc), but we’re reaching the limits of what can be done with dslr’s. Mirrorless has a lot more upward potential.

I really dont get how you need more then 61 AF points, I do perfectly fine with all photography and dont use even half of them. What is the fixation with more is always better always. This doesn't bug me one bit. In fact any more af points would just clutter my life shooting.
I dont care to see a bees nest in the evf.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I really dont get how you need more then 61 AF points, I do perfectly fine with all photography and dont use even half of them. What is the fixation with more is always better always. This doesn't bug me one bit. In fact any more af points would just clutter my life shooting.
I dont care to see a bees nest in the evf.
I constantly cut off feet with the 61 point from the 1dx when doing tight’ish vertical shots.
If you haven’t tried something like the R system you have no idea how great the freedom of composition is. I can include and exclude and place whatever I want wherever I want and move an AF point EXACTLY where I want. No cropping needed, it’s like the difference between walking with your shoelaces tied together and not..

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0