Show your Bird Portraits

I agree. It strikes me as being very similar to my situation when I am stuck with a certain degree of back lighting and have to use a lower than preferred shutter. It's such a striking shot that I'm wondering if some work on the shadows and contrast wouldn't help. I'm learning some tricks as the years pass but certainly not commenting with significant expertise! ;)

Jack
When I had the backlight situation with the Yellow Crown and the large crab I was shooting a lot lower shutter speed than I wanted while trying to keep the DoF deep enough to capture all the detail. People always tell me to just shoot a higher ISO but that tends to create additional work, unless the intent is only to produce 'small' images for the social platforms. I'm still learning myself and hope I never stop. CC is something always accepted, I'm just not sure how much differently I could have taken that shot without giving up something else.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
When I had the backlight situation with the Yellow Crown and the large crab I was shooting a lot lower shutter speed than I wanted while trying to keep the DoF deep enough to capture all the detail. People always tell me to just shoot a higher ISO but that tends to create additional work, unless the intent is only to produce 'small' images for the social platforms. I'm still learning myself and hope I never stop. CC is something always accepted, I'm just not sure how much differently I could have taken that shot without giving up something else.
Thanks for the comment. No criticism, just me pondering the shot. Unfortunately photo-life is one of compromises. :)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Had a marvellous morning. Someone whom I didn't know recognised me in the street and put the top bird professor in Israel, Yossi Leshem, in touch. We watched at the Jerusalem Bird Observatory, birds being netted and ringed. And we heard about a wonderful collaboration between Palestinian, Israeli and Jordanian birders, including introducing Barn Owls to reduce the number of rodents by some 80% to save farmers crops either sides of borders and cut down on poisons.
Here is a Robin caught in a mist net, a Hoopoe being ringed and after ringing.
IMG_6456_Robin_in_mist_net copy.jpgIMG_6421_Hoopoe_being_ringed copy.jpgIMG_6454_Hoopoe_after_ringing copy.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Had a marvellous morning. Someone whom I didn't know recognised me in the street and put the top bird professor in Israel, Yossi Leshem, in touch. We watched at the Jerusalem Bird Observatory, birds being netted and ringed. And we heard about a wonderful collaboration between Palestinian, Israeli and Jordanian birders, including introducing Barn Owls to reduce the number of rodents by some 80% to save farmers crops either sides of borders and cut down on poisons.
Here is a Robin caught in a mist net, a Hoopoe being ringed and after ringing.
View attachment 187505View attachment 187506View attachment 187507
Nice pictures Alan! I have never seen Hoopoe that close (and I don't mean the captured bird) - nice shot!
I have problem only with the Pale Rock Sparrow - Carpospiza brachydactyla (not as a photo off course - it is fine): some features are for that one (unfortunatelly you got strong light on the front of the bird) and others are (very!) typical for the Rock Sparrow (Petronia petronia)- like the long, well pronounced supercilium, and rather contrast eye-strip. Also some (very pale, here is coming the front light) strips on the flanks that also do not belong to the Pale Rock Sparrow. It's interesting for me because I have seen the Rock Sparrow in Europe (never seen the Pale Rock Sparrow) and some times it was looking as your bird, especially in light conditions like in your photo (it's crazy to expect some vagrants of the Pale Rock sparrow to Europe - I know but still...).

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
This morning I notice par of Rose-ringed Parakeets trying to dig a hole in rotten part of Eucalyptus tree - right in front of my lanai. Only the female was digging and was frequently disrupted by two Common Mynas (Mynas have a nest nearby). The abuse stopped when the male Parakeet (last photo) arrived and took the matter in his hands (bill I mean:)).
First - I didn't know the Parakeets are digging their own holes (from scratch in this case) and Second - would be nice to see the birds taking care of chicks when drinking my coffee in the mornings:cool: !

DSC_4651_DxO.jpgDSC_4694_DxO.jpgDSC_4714_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful pictures, Alan.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here I have few from today: the regular Japanese White Eye (but this time on Passion Fruit Wine) and Red-vented Bulbul fighting Ascalapha odorata (Black-witch Moth).
That Bulbul is ~20-21cm long. The females of the moth are with wing-span up to 17cm. I thing this is a male (because of the markings on the hind-wings) - they get up to ~12cm wing-span.
Second photo at ISO 1600 but I succeed to get few meters closer (and to control my adrenaline - these moths are hard to spot despite of the size and I have never seen one eaten by bird)! In the second photo the bird already removed some wings from the moth - I knew I have no time...

DSC_4818_DxO.jpgDSC_4965_DxO.jpgDSC_4982_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here I have few from today: the regular Japanese White Eye (but this time on Passion Fruit Wine) and Red-vented Bulbul fighting Ascalapha odorata (Black-witch Moth).
That Bulbul is ~20-21cm long. The females of the moth are with wing-span up to 17cm. I thing this is a male (because of the markings on the hind-wings) - they get up to ~12cm wing-span.
Second photo at ISO 1600 but I succeed to get few meters closer (and to control my adrenaline - these moths are hard to spot despite of the size and I have never seen one eaten by bird)! In the second photo the bird already removed some wings from the moth - I knew I have no time...

View attachment 187611View attachment 187612View attachment 187613
Great shots! I love to see the birds doing what birds should be doing!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0