Adobe Exec Defends Photoshop for iPad After App Falls Flat

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Apparently the Photoshop for iPad wasn't received too well....

Adobe Exec Defends PS iPad against Reception

I've not tried it personally...can someone give some info on how it really is?

I've enjoyed Affinity Photo o the iPad Pro for a few years now and have been amazed how functional it is compared to desktop version and the power they've squeezed into it....

My iPad pro is one of the first 10.5" versons that came out, I loaded it full of RAM, etc....my first test was trying to focus stack 9-10 RAW images from my 5D3 and it did a great job and didn't take that much time which really surprised me.

Can someone report back on their thoughts about the new PS for iPad and the +/- of it compared to desktop PS, which I think most people were expecting it to very closely mimic....?

Cayenne

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I's not a surprise. Porting all the PS features to the iPad will take some time, even for the mighty Adobe.

The actual PS user interface isn't really appropriate for a touch device with a relatively small screen, even with pen input added. From that perspective LR was easier to port. And Adobe will need to move incrementally to understand how to fit PS to the iPad.

Whoever thought to get the same application from version 1.0 was going to be disappointed.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I's not a surprise. Porting all the PS features to the iPad will take some time, even for the mighty Adobe.

The actual PS user interface isn't really appropriate for a touch device with a relatively small screen, even with pen input added. From that perspective LR was easier to port. And Adobe will need to move incrementally to understand how to fit PS to the iPad.

Whoever thought to get the same application from version 1.0 was going to be disappointed.

Well, like I'd mentioned, Affinity Photo for iPad has ported over about 99% functionality of PS, and did it years ago.

Yes, the interface does take some getting used to, as that with PS type stuff, if you are a real user of it, you generally work with lots of keyboard shortcuts for speed, and you don't have that inherently on a tablet.

But it isn't rocket surgery to learn how to access the tools differently on a tablet....but for pure functionality to be there, that is the important part IMHO.

Again, to be fair, I've not used PS on iPad, I'd be very interested in someone chiming in that has used it and give their findings on what is there, what is missing and their opinion overall using PS on iPad vs the desktop.....

C

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I find it difficult to use photo software on mobile devices. I no longer have any ipads, I have several Samsung Tablets, but they were acquired to perform a dedicated function of being 24/7 monitors for my surveillance cameras even though they work fine with all the Android Apps. My wife did take the spare one for a book reader. I expected them to fail occasionally, but only one has been problematic having failed twice, and repaired by warranty both times.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I'd mentioned, Affinity Photo for iPad

Remember Photoshop, despite the name, it's not a tool for photographers only. I see Affinity Photo as something between LR and PS, but still much more oriented to images created from photos.

There's a lot of graphic artists who do use PS to create images without a camera, or a photo as a starting point. The fact that Adobe in the article you posted suggested to try "Fresco", their drawing/painting app, suggests me that a lot of criticism came from that side, which could also be the one that would find more appealing to work with a tablet and a pen, without the need of specific solutions like the Wacom ones.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Remember Photoshop, despite the name, it's not a tool for photographers only. I see Affinity Photo as something between LR and PS, but still much more oriented to images created from photos.

There's a lot of graphic artists who do use PS to create images without a camera, or a photo as a starting point. The fact that Adobe in the article you posted suggested to try "Fresco", their drawing/painting app, suggests me that a lot of criticism came from that side, which could also be the one that would find more appealing to work with a tablet and a pen, without the need of specific solutions like the Wacom ones.

Of course I don't know every function of PS or AP...but I would feel confident that Affinity Photo has about 99% at least of the functionality of PS, in desktop and the AP mobile version has most all of the functionality of the desktop.<P>

So, if someone was using PS desktop for graphic work, that same work could be done on Affinity Photo desktop, and most all of that AP desktop functionality is present on the iPad version.

AP is much more PS like than LR. AP can work with RAW images much in the same fashion that Adobe Camera Raw works with RAW images.

But AP isn't very LR like at all.....you really need something like a Capture One or ON1 RAW for Lightroom functionality.

That's just my observations.

C

Upvote 0