The Fisheye in Sports

Jan 29, 2011
What happens when you apply lens correction in LR...
View attachment 187179

Great series of images Roo, I don't have any sports fisheye shots to add but do use the fisheye not infrequently, indeed I found a well defished fisheye to retain higher IQ than 2 copies of the Canon 14mm f2.8 L II.

Lightroom is very poor at correcting fisheye lenses, I use Imadio FisheyeHemi which is a very powerful tool/PS Plugin and makes the fisheye infinitely more useful.

Here is one of yours run through FisheyeHemi, I like that the people at the edges are much less distorted whereas Lightroom really rips the edges to pieces.

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 17.33.51.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Great series of images Roo, I don't have any sports fisheye shots to add but do use the fisheye not infrequently, indeed I found a well defished fisheye to retain higher IQ than 2 copies of the Canon 14mm f2.8 L II.

Lightroom is very poor at correcting fisheye lenses, I use Imadio FisheyeHemi which is a very powerful tool/PS Plugin and makes the fisheye infinitely more useful.

Here is one of yours run through FisheyeHemi, I like that the people at the edges are much less distorted whereas Lightroom really rips the edges to pieces.

View attachment 187596
Thanks very much PBD. Agree about how Lightroom lens correction works - I generally don't apply any correction to the fisheye due to that. I've downloaded the trial version of FisheyeHemi to gove it a go. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks very much PBD. Agree about how Lightroom lens correction works - I generally don't apply any correction to the fisheye due to that. I've downloaded the trial version of FisheyeHemi to gove it a go. Cheers!

Roo, hope you enjoy the plugin, it's well worth it, the V2.0 is a huge improvement as well. I highly recommend taking a look at this review

and this article and video where he gives some great tips on getting even more impressive results.

http://www.lonelyspeck.com/defish/

Upvote 0
Thanks for the compliments above. I should have said, I shoot with the Canon 8-15mm F4 Fisheye, an amazing lens. I shoot both crop and FF, and used to shoot the 1D IV with 1.3X crop. The 8-15 worked beautify with all those cameras. On FF you fill the frame at 14 and 15mm, and have a Circle at 8mm. (I don't use the circle much) On 1.6 crop, the lens fills the frame from 10-15mm so 10mm is the full fisheye effect, and by 15mm about 70% of the fisheye "look" is gone, and it sort looks like a normal wide angle.

privatebydesign, I don't do much fixing of the fisheye look in photos, but I do like the FisheyeHemi pic above. I''ll have to look into that.

Here are some additional photos. The motorcycle image is one of my favorites as the bikes are passing within about 12 inches of me. And there is no guard rail. It's a tight turn so they are only going about 20mph though.

AQ4Y0838.jpg

AU3E1214_tonemapped.jpg

REX_0056h.jpg

REX13702.jpg

REX17592.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The fish lens was one i always desperately wanted when I was young. The photos were very rare, but when sports illustrated did a big multi-page layout you might see one. That always made it special to me.

Anyway here are some of mine, show me some of yours.

View attachment 187152

View attachment 187153

View attachment 187154

View attachment 187155

View attachment 187151
I always wondered what I would ever want a fisheye for. Now I know. Thanks for posting such great images!

Upvote 0