The best reason to not use the cloud?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Is this the best reason ever not to rely on “cloud” storage?

From Canon:-
IT'S TIME TO SAY FAREWELL TO IRISTA
Sadly, we’ve decided to close down Irista. We would like to thank you for using it over the years; we hope that you’ve enjoyed the service.
Your account will remain unaffected until 31 January 2020, when it will close.
On this date, your details and data will be deleted.

Always bear in mind, there is no cloud, just someone else’s computer which they can turn off at any time!

I have pictures on Flickr (the cloud?) but the originals are still duplicated locally with a remote third copy!

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 3 users

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Developing the habit of backing up at home, while having a safe place to keep an extra copy of critical data offsite, is what has kept my data safe for two decades.

Your example, Graham, is sobering. But what I worry about more is finding that a cloud company's servers have been hacked, that data has been stolen, badly corrupted, or irretrievably lost. On the other hand, we trust credit card companies and banks with our data (because what is money these days, other than data in the clouds?).

But really, having a good home-safe, a plan one sticks to, and a place to keep an extra set of those King Harry wedding shots works great.

On yet the other hand, how many of us DO stick to backup plans?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
backups to the cloud are just that, backups. If a site goes down, you can backup to another. If you are using it for primary storage, then you should have backups elsewhere. In any event, if one is lost, the other can generate a replacement.

I don't use the cloud because my upload speed is far too slow. There is nothing I can do about that, I'm rural and lucky to get service at all.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
backups to the cloud are just that, backups. If a site goes down, you can backup to another. If you are using it for primary storage, then you should have backups elsewhere. In any event, if one is lost, the other can generate a replacement.

I don't use the cloud because my upload speed is far too slow. There is nothing I can do about that, I'm rural and lucky to get service at all.
Precisely. All my work is backed up on a commercial cloud server automatically as it is done, and the server immediately syncs with my home and office desktops as well as two laptops.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Developing the habit of backing up at home, while having a safe place to keep an extra copy of critical data offsite, is what has kept my data safe for two decades.
That!
… what I worry about more is finding that a cloud company's servers have been hacked...
And that!
On yet the other hand, how many of us DO stick to backup plans?
Me!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
When
Always bear in mind, there is no cloud, just someone else’s computer which they can turn off at any time!..

What's more worrying is that as Canon can turn off Irista just like that, it is a sign that they can turn off anything else at their fancy, and we are having to trust them. Sony has a bad reputation for dumping projects and it's not good for Canon to join the club.

• Sad
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
When

What's more worrying is that as Canon can turn off Irista just like that, it is a sign that they can turn off anything else at their fancy, and we are having to trust them. Sony has a bad reputation for dumping projects and it's not good for Canon to join the club.

I think the biggest bummer, short of, may it never happen, Canon just spinning off photography, would be for CPS to be "turned off." Just such great peace of mind to know higher end items can get fixed fast and properly. CPS make such a difference, but Canon seems hardly to market it...I only heard it about through word of mouth, but that was before joining CR, where it is mentioned often enough.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
If they don’t get the point, then they either don’t know or don’t care.

the cloud is more convenient, but to get that convenience you also get:

if your provider disappears, so do your photos.

they might be securely stored, but they might not be.

you may be giving away rights.

they are accessible to lots of people and (depending on where the server is located) government agencies

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

they are accessible to lots of people and (depending on where the server is located) government agencies
I get that Don, I also get that anything I say or do in a public forum will stay there long after I do.

But I don't see what that latest post has to do with either the OP about an image cloud storage server ending, the inevitable conflation of all storage security issues and concerns (real and imagined) and a server of aggregated publicly available information being 'hacked', which in this instance wouldn't be hacked at all it was never password protected so would just be accessed! It never stored sensitive data that wasn't freely available online, it didn't have any passwords, CC numbers or anything else of nefarious interest.

What is the connection? Forgive the pun! :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I get that Don, I also get that anything I say or do in a public forum will stay there long after I do.

But I don't see what that latest post has to do with either the OP about an image cloud storage server ending, the inevitable conflation of all storage security issues and concerns (real and imagined) and a server of aggregated publicly available information being 'hacked', which in this instance wouldn't be hacked at all it was never password protected so would just be accessed! It never stored sensitive data that wasn't freely available online, it didn't have any passwords, CC numbers or anything else of nefarious interest.

What is the connection? Forgive the pun! :)
The point I was trying to make was that when you put stuff “out on the cloud” is that it is beyond your control. We should not expect guarantees of security or longevity.

of course, there is also the option of running your own cloud server......

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The point I was trying to make was that when you put stuff “out on the cloud” is that it is beyond your control. We should not expect guarantees of security or longevity.

of course, there is also the option of running your own cloud server......
Oh I 100% agree with that, and I do both using commercial servers and my own for different needs, though I am under no illusion that however well I think I might be protecting my personal 'cloud' server, I know anybody with the inclination and a few YouTube videos could actually hack it.

I think what I was trying to get at was there is this huge conflation of 'hacking' confidential data that should be well protected by the likes of banks, CC companies etc, and the vagaries of commercial cloud servers that we have accounts with, free or paid, that offer completely different services.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011

So, if you find your name and your home address in the white pages section of your local Yellow Pages, you will blame your photo cloud storage for that?

• Haha
Upvote 0