An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told a couple of times now that a “pro” EOS R mirrorless camera that is in the works will have some kind of a hybrid EF/RF lens mount. So this basically means that you’d be able to mount both types of lenses without the use of an adapter.
We were also told that this was being developed for the “EOS-1 style EOS R camera”, which would make a lot of sense. As I don’t believe the reduction of size for an “EOS-1” style mirrorless camera is all that important.
This is definitely a bit of a strange rumour, but if Canon could pull this off, it would be great for Canon shooters.
We’ll have some more information on this soon.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
On the other hand, why on earth would Canon do that now, after the EOS R release?

Well if this is true, and I do like where this information came from. I wonder if it's simply the feature wasn't ready for primetime, sort of like IBIS. They had to get something out to the masses and get the lenses rolling.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
My patent pending alternative is to offer the big white lenses with visually integrated rear mount portions that remove (only when lens is detached) for use on EF. RF mount users might be offered TC adapters as substitute upgrades.

At very least if I’m going to drop $12k on the 400 III for an R mount I’d like an included adapter in matching white.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I predicted the moving sensor more than a year ago to explain the 'sexy' mount solution in pre-R rumours.
Such a system can't be done without a sensor on rails.

On the other hand, why on earth would Canon do that now, after the EOS R release?
This might work well with a video centric camera. The sensor position could be adjusted to any location needed. You could potentially also have a PL mount adapter that was smaller and have the sensor change position to accommodate that.

Upvote 0
*Something* has to gap the 26mm difference.

Assuming this rumor is true, an adapter is detachable, the only option I can think off is a collapsible mount - a tube that can be pushed in & pulled out as needed. Somehow, I doubt we're going to see this in a pro camera.

You've never used a collapsible thermos? Heck, you could probably shoot around corners with one of these.

shopping.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Interesting. I know that balancing some of the EF lenses on the R, such as the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II is not so fun when taking shots in portrait/vertical orientation. Part of this is because the adapter throws the lens more off balance. I wonder if a hybrid mount might address this...but the spacing provided by the adapter has to be made up somewhere?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It will be interesting to see if this makes it to market. It would certainly simplify things for people using both DSLRs and Mirrorless at the same time.Also indicates that the EF line is far from dead. Perhaps there is still hope for an R to EF adapter down the line. True interchangeability would certainly be a plus.

Upvote 0