An EF & RF mount hybrid mirrorless camera in the works [CR2]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That happens to be a very common provision for employment for many firms. If you can lift 50lbs how can you lift and unpack stage cases, pelicans and grip cases? A messenger working for a law firm has the same requirement. Why don't you tell me what you don't understand? The camera and lens used to shoot don't weigh 50lbs. You just need to show you can lift 59lbs if needed to do every part of you job. Ignorance may have you laughing.... but it really shows how little you know.

Is this one of your guys by any chance? It seems he would have passed your requirements with flying colours. oh, schweppes.. this lens Weight ONLY: 34.6 pounds (15.7 kg). Oh, come on, Sigma... Should have built 200-600 F2.8 lens instead and still satisfy your 50 pound requirement. :)

but seriously: to make someone to lift over 24kg in Australia at work is illegal.
Sigma-Ultra-Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-1.jpg

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Is this one of your guys by any chance? It seems he would have passed your requirements with flying colours. oh, schweppes.. this lens Weight ONLY: 34.6 pounds (15.7 kg). Oh, come on, Sigma... Should have built 200-600 F2.8 lens instead and still satisfy your 50 pound requirement. :)

but seriously: to make someone to lift over 24kg in Australia at work is illegal.
To think that we Poms used to admire you Aussies for being tough all round sportsmen (and women).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I don't think this will be a thing.

But I do think there is a possibility of a 1 series R camera that has a beefier more integrated EF adapter that people with the really big whites would be more comfortable trusting. Maybe something that screws onto the body like the current adapter but then also has a secondary secure mechanical connection to really bolt it to the body.

I just got the R for my birthday yesterday and I don't understand why there would be an issue with the current adapters. I have the one with the control ring and I didn't have any issues with it in my first tests.

Most users of the really big whites have no problem using an EF 1.4X III or even EF 2X III. The adapter is simpler and carries no optical elements like the extenders do.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Does everything work correctly if you change lenses without disconnecting the adapter from the body?

In the EF system, Canon also recommends connecting lenses and extenders before mounting the extender on the the body, but not everyone does it that way. Turning off the camera and then leaving the extender attached to the body and changing lenses causes no problems, either. Leaving the body turned on and swapping lenses without moving the extender can sometimes confuse the camera regarding what lens/extender combination is attached.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
New times, new measures. When it came out it already was said to have features missing and bugs. also some of the concepts seem experimental like the touch bar no one sane likes.

Lots of R user must be insane, then, because many have learned to use it in a way that offers something they did not have with Canon DSLRs. Is it a smashing success? No. But there are those who have figured out how to get the most from the tool in their hand instead of loudly yelling,"Who moved my cheese."

Upvote 0
Most users of the really big whites have no problem using an EF 1.4X III or even EF 2X III. The adapter is simpler and carries no optical elements like the extenders do.
Yeah, I know, and I'm sure you're right. Everything seems super secure with my adapter too, though I haven't mounted anything longer than the 70-300L on it.

It was the only thing that made sense to me as the headline to this post. I can't imagine a moving mount or moving sensor would be something that would live in a bash proof 1 series body (at least on its first iteration). A super integrated heavy duty adapter that felt more like part of the camera was the only other thing I could think of. But like I said in the original post, I doubt this is really going to be a thing, at least for a non-cinema body. Cinema bodies with replaceable mounts are a different beast.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There wont be problems on EOS-1 combatibiliness with different ef and R pins cause there isnt pins on that body.
In body aperture leafs.
Autofocusing works only with moving sensor more close and far from lenses. No lens focus. Hybrid mount is just side effect.
Ibis is good enough to replace lens IS.
That is true mirrorless revolution .freely moving sensor.
No image quality weakening extra lenses for focus and IS.
This hybrid camera rumour may be just on drawing board still.
One extra benefit not having electronic connection between lens and mount ,mount can do auto shift operations with medium format lens

Yeah, because when one needs to focus really close, the sensor is going to be able to back up 40-50-100mm from the position needed for infinity focus?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'm still betting on a relabeled adapter, it will look different, but in essence still be same thing as the current EF-RF adapter. But it won't be called that to appease all the people with knee-jerk reactions to the word 'adapter'.

BINGO!

Just call it a "Non-optical non-extending extender" and they'll have no issue using it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Ah, that’s cheating :) event shooters are usually maxed out at Having two camera bodies per person. However @GoldWing may disagree as at his firm condition of employment is being able to lift at least 50 Lbs. :D. Oh, dear. Where is the mega LOL icon here. Let’s just have a laugh, shall we :)

I still do see a few PJs with three bodies hanging and occasionally even four when "walking in" or out of a scene. Back in the film days even more was not uncommon when a lot of PJs had a different body or two (one each for a "short" and "long" lens) for each type of film they shot.

Here's one of Michael Wolgensinger, one of Robert Frank's mentors, way back in the day with three, two of which are medium format.

1575921139055.png

I haven't yet ran into this lady.
7956de38fec69c2ee2ddef4797ca9807.jpg

Nor this one.
1575921431775.png

Attachments

• 1575921139288.png
    1575921139288.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 1575921432527.png
    1575921432527.png
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I still do see a few PJs with three bodies hanging and occasionally even four when "walking in" or out of a scene. Back in the film days even more was not uncommon when a lot of PJs had a different body or two (one each for a "short" and "long" lens) for each type of film they shot.

Here's one of Robert Frank way back in the day with three, two of which are medium format.

View attachment 187763

I haven't yet ran into this lady.
7956de38fec69c2ee2ddef4797ca9807.jpg

Nor this one.
View attachment 187765
Michael,Thank you for this post. What a wonderful story!

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Yeah, because when one needs to focus really close, the sensor is going to be able to back up 40-50-100mm from the position needed for infinity focus?
100mm sounds lot ,maybe old extension tubes would be more clever still :)
yeah maybe it would be too big camera ,but on future when cameras hover on air :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Precisely. Because they make sure there's always a story circulating, even when there isn't a story at the moment.

There have been quiet periods here, explained by longer update cycles. Now there's a lot of buzz, I doubt most of the rumored cameras (and possibly lenses) would actually appear, at least in the rumored schedule.

Upvote 0
How does a built in switch change the length of the back of the lens (or the front of the camera)?

The EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS 1.4X has a switch that moves optical elements sideways in or out of the optical path of the light going through the lens. It does not change the physical length of the lens at all.

That's not what I'm talking about at all - What I mean is simply a single unit as if you combined the RF adapter and converter together but having the switch move the optical elements just like it does on the 200-400. Having the extra 1.4 at the flick of a switch is much nicer then putting off and on extenders especially in crappy conditions.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
100mm sounds lot ,maybe old extension tubes would be more clever still :)
yeah maybe it would be too big camera ,but on future when cameras hover on air :p

For a 100mm Macro lens, the difference between infinity focus (100mm in front of the image plane) and 1:1 unity focus (200mm in front of the image plane) is exactly 100mm.

Upvote 0